40 years ago

Smile

I was at that game as a freshman student. In addition to the obvious play of Fred Lind I'll never forget a poster before the game that said "Clark+Lewis=Lewis". We weren't called "crazies" in those days but still pretty funny. The students stood for an hour after the game waiting for the players to come out of the locker room. Needless to say the campus rocked that night.Thus began my 40 year love affair with Duke Basketball.

That may have been the most exciting game I ever attended. Everyone in the house was exhausted, not just the players. Thanks for the flashback.

Thanks Jim! March 2, 1968, was one of the happiest days of my youth. I was 8.5 at the time and starting to believe Duke would never beat Carolina again. The triple overtime game restored order to my universe.
    Bob Green

I was a sophomore baseball player and camped under the Duke basket for the OT, marvelled at Freddy's play. The guy was truly in a zone, played out of his mind, threw up (and in) his lefty hook shot over Clark et al without hesitation. The crowd was insane and the "Indoor Stadium" was never louder. A great Duke moment. Thanks for the reminder.

Best Ever Duke vs. UNC Game?

Thanks for the post and GREAT link to Jim Sumner's piece. This particular game really floods back the memories...for my money it's the "best ever" Duke vs. UNC game. Fred Lind with 16 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks, scores more in this one unbelievable game than he had in the entire season before. He hits two clutch free throws to force the first OT...buries a 22-footer at the end of the first OT to force a second OT...then rejects Rusty Clark's shot in OT #3 to preserve the victory...then Fred gets what must have been the ride of his life after the game as hundreds of the Crazies carry their friend and hero on their shoulders from Cameron to the West Quad.

Fred is one of the all-time good guys and is a highly-respected public defender in Greensboro. He and his wife, Mary, have raised two successful daughters. Mary Laura recently defended her Ph.D. Thesis at Cal Tech and will receive her degree in June. http://www.its.caltech.edu/~mll/
    At the same time, Caroline will be preparing to head to Bejing to represent her country as a member of our US Olympic Rowing team. http://www.usrowing.org/News_Media/A...s/carlind.aspx

Those that know Fred will tell you that he always says his family is his greatest accomplisment...but, still it must have been a pretty cool ride to the Quad after that game 40 years ago today. Thanks for the memories, Fred Lind.

Article on Fred Lind and Triple OT game

I'm old enough to remember the game. I didn't see it in person, but saw it on T.V. I still think, from a Duke point of view, that was the best game in the history of the rivalry. Lind had done nothing the entire game, came in off the bench and won it single-handed in triple overtime. It was like something out of a movie.

For single moments, I'd have to say Gene's shot to beat Carolina in '81 was more incredible, but the whole Fred Lind game was better. Truly unforgettable.

I don't recall who wrote it (Jim Sumner, Olympic Fan?) but one of the best posts ever on this site was the description of that fantastic game and the role that Fred Lind played. I hope the writer posts it. It would be a nice read again for us old timers.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the game. I didn't see it in person, but saw it on T.V. I still think, from a Duke point of view, that was the best game in the history of the rivalry. Lind had done nothing the entire game, came in off the bench and won it single-handed in triple overtime. It was like something out of a movie...
    I was fortunate enough to be at the game--I was a sophomore at the time, and my roommate and I were in the end zone bleachers now occupied by the grad students--and I have posted my recollections about it on this board several times over the years. One point I always emphasize, and I believe most who were there will confirm: Fred Lind did not win it "single-handedly." While it will always be known as the "Freddy Lind Game" because of the unexpected but spectacular storybook heroics that Fred provided after Mike Lewis fouled out, it should probably in fairness be remembered as the "Fred Lind/Joe Kennedy Game," because Kennedy's man defense on UNC's star, Larry Miller--especially in the overtimes when the Heels repeatedly cleared out so that Miller could try to take Kennedy one-on-one, but was rebuffed time and time again--was magnificent.

At least during the last 5 minutes and through the three overtimes, it was the loudest and hottest and most intense game I've ever observed in the Indoor Stadium, and I've never walked out so thoroughly drained. (It was quite cold outside that afternoon--I'm fairly certain there were even patches of snow still on the ground--and I was sure we'd all come down with pneumonia after we went from the sauna inside to the chiller outside.) We (a couple of hundred students) all gathered at the door on the side facing Card Gym and waited for the players to emerge, whereupon Lind was carried off on the shoulders of the cheering crowd. It really was like something out of a movie.

Stray - I suspect that it was one of your posts that I recall. It was written by someone who was a student at the time and I recall the description of Lind being met by the students and carried off on their shoulders.

gw67

I wasn't there, but my brother was..

It was his freshman year. When he called to tell us about the game, he had no voice left from yelling so much - and he had split the seat of his jeans from jumping around. He was just glad that he had worn an oversized sweater that his girlfriend had knit for him that covered his backside! I think that game was one of the highlights of that year for him. (Other "highlights" we didn't learn until much, much later!)

I don't think he ever learned the fight song..just yelled " to hell with Carolina" after every line!

GTHC!!!

Banks' shot in '81

I remember Banks' half court shot only tying Carolina at the buzzer. We won in overtime, IIRC.

Correct about Banks. He did get the game-winner in OT when he followed a Vince Taylor miss. But it wasn't at the buzzer. UNC had another shot.

If you want a UNC buzzer-beater, try Robby West, 1972, in the game in which Duke Indoor Stadium was renamed Cameron Indoor Stadium.

So many classics, so little time.

Thumbs up 1981: Banks' shot sent the game into OT and...

his shot in OT won the game 66-65! Duke had 2 seconds in regulation to inbound from underneath the UNC basket and get the ball to Banks.Engelland caught the ball and called timeout simultaneously.Then ,from midcourt, Dennard inbounded to Tinkerbell for the shot to go to OT.
    Best regards.

Robby West

Yes, I was seated under the basket where West shot his game winner. I think he launched it from the top of the key.

Couldn't wait to watch St. Deano's weekly show the next day, as I naively anticipated hearing him praise our underdog heros for their gutty upset victory. Dean's restrained, grudging congratulations at the end of his show were tempered with snide references to the number of foul shots the two teams had attempted throughout the game (the first "Duke gets all the calls" sighting?), suggesting that the Heels could never have prevailed under those circumstances.

I later mused that perhaps his unwillingness to acknowledge defeat was among those graceless personal qualities that helped make Smith so successful, and a giant in his profession. The single minded competitiveness and hatred of losing that blinds you to reality may, in fact, help drive successful people. But it isn't a sine qua non, as Coach K has shown - almost invariably,he wins and loses with class, and respect and praise for the adversary. While K and Smith have several dissimilarities, not all of which flatter K, IMHO, in this respect I am especially proud of Duke's coach.

Amen, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    his shot in OT won the game 66-65! Duke had 2 seconds in regulation to inbound from underneath the UNC basket and get the ball to Banks.Engelland caught the ball and called timeout simultaneously.Then ,from midcourt, Dennard inbounded to Tinkerbell for the shot to go to OT.
    Best regards.
    I was there! It was electrifying! A fine night to be a Blue Devil!

Fred and Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    One point I always emphasize, and I believe most who were there will confirm: Fred Lind did not win it "single-handedly." While it will always be known as the "Freddy Lind Game" because of the unexpected but spectacular storybook heroics that Fred provided after Mike Lewis fouled out, it should probably in fairness be remembered as the "Fred Lind/Joe Kennedy Game," because Kennedy's man defense on UNC's star, Larry Miller--especially in the overtimes when the Heels repeatedly cleared out so that Miller could try to take Kennedy one-on-one, but was rebuffed time and time again--was magnificent.
    Certainly agree about Joe Kennedy. Joe was known as a defensive stopper and had other great games but this one certainly stands out. Several years ago (early 80s), spoke with Joe at a business gathering and he was embarassed at my bringing up his terrific play. I think some of the other people present may not have known he played college basketball (or at least that he was a really good college player). Joe was very engaging...a really nice guy.

Some other time, I'll post about shooting around with Mike Lewis just before Thanksgiving break

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I don't recall who wrote it (Jim Sumner, Olympic Fan?) but one of the best posts ever on this site was the description of that fantastic game and the role that Fred Lind played. I hope the writer posts it. It would be a nice read again for us old timers.

gw67
    Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=21026

Bluedog - That's it. The poster wrote it from the heart and it certainly captured the moment.

Thanks for finding it.

gw67