Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ymm, Regional Food Favorites

Inspired by the NY Pizza thread...what is the specific food that your particular area does best (either where you live now or the fond memories of great stuff you just can't get in your current location)

I grew up NY and would pick NY Pizza and oh those bagels
    In the Tampa area now and it would be a Cuban Sandwich (pressed, of course)
    With a tip of my hat to fish tacos in San Deigo (where I spent way to much time on travel at a previous gig)

Rather than southern (USA) favorites - i am going to go with a different type of southern favorite (South Africa).

Boerwors --> if you are in Atlanta, you can pick some up at Goldberg's. Its a beef sausage that is spiced perfectly. The stuff is outstanding. You throw it on the grill, let it cook, and enjoy.

Biltong (sp?) --> A south african type of Beef Jerky. You can also pick this up at Goldbergs. Blows Jacks Links or any other type of generic jerky out of the water.

regional foods

childhood-southern NJ-cheese steaks and pizza(with cheese so hot and gooey that you had no choice but to gently sear the roof of your mouth with the first bite)
    adulthood-NC-'cue and slaw, eastern.

Does that qualify for an automatic 'moved' to the EK board ?

my life has not been that sheltered -I just tried to keep it 'on-thread' without introducing other topics(yet).

I would love to hear of other regional/international specialty foods

Hushpuppies - Louisiana. Bullock's can't even compete with authentic Cajun puppies, served with crawfish étouffée.

Pizza - I still vote Chicago style, but I don't mind good NY style.

Sticking with the South Theme

Mondu - either yaki (sp?) or mul and Genghis Khan at a restaurant in Myeong Dong, Seoul, South Korea

What was the name of the restaurant in Durham from early 80s that was next to an abandoned gas station - great fried chicken, hush puppies, and sweet tea.

For local - bar-b-que. I like Hayward's sauce the best.

Fried catfish, hush puppies, coleslaw. (As an aside, my job is making it difficult to eat catfish. I'm currently working on methods for analyzing imported catfish for antibiotics and antifungals, which means I've pureed and extracted lots of catfish fillets. Yum-my.)

Also, barbecue (pulled pork, not NC style). I had pulled pork on a semi-recent business trip to the Boston area, and it was among the nastiest things I have ever eaten.

Fish tacos in San Diego.

Chowder bowls in San Francisco. Fresh sourdough bread and fresh clam chowder. Yum. Top it off with a trip to the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory. Double yum.

Authentic Mexican food. There was none to be had the year I lived in VA, and I missed it terribly. Similar to the pulled pork in Boston, authentic Mexican in rural VA leaves a bit to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Chowder bowls in San Francisco. Fresh sourdough bread and fresh clam chowder. Yum. Top it off with a trip to the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory. Double yum.
    Oh that sounds good. SF has the best sourdough on the planet..combine it with fresh clam chowder...must be top notch!

Indian food - especially curries in London.

In SC and Georgia, I love boiled peanuts. I can't get enough of them.

On the other end of the spectrum - in Pittsburgh: Pieroggies. I don't like them.
    ~rthomas

in maryland you have to try the steamed crabs or a crabcake

Southern - Fried Chicken, Fried Catfish, Mac n Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, Cabbage, Green Beans, Cornbread, Sweet Tea, Fried Pickles, Fried Green Tomatoes, Red Velvet Cake, Coconut Cake, Peach Cobbler.

Others can answer this much better than I, but for the Boston area you do need to have real clam chowder. Lobster is also a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Oh that sounds good. SF has the best sourdough on the planet..combine it with fresh clam chowder...must be top notch!
    As an added bonus, it's dirt cheap. Also extremely filling. You can eat for under $10.

From the decade I lived in Dayton: Skyline Chili, AKA Cincinnati Chili. Yum! One restaurant serves it here in the Triangle, and it's just not the same.

I've still got ten cans of it from my last trip to visit the inlaws. I can't duplicate that fluffy, shredded cheese, but I can get close enough. Kroger carries it, too, if needed.

food

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    From the decade I lived in Dayton: Skyline Chili, AKA Cincinnati Chili. Yum! One restaurant serves it here in the Triangle, and it's just not the same.

I've still got ten cans of it from my last trip to visit the inlaws. I can't duplicate that fluffy, shredded cheese, but I can get close enough. Kroger carries it, too, if needed.
    please refresh my memory on all the chili houses in Cincinnati and how you get '5 way' chili. Have not been there in about 25 years and the memory is a bit foggy.

Whenever someone tells me they've been to Cincinnati, I ask them:

"Did you have a 3-way?"

I usually get some combination of weird looks and affirmatives. Whether chili and cheese was involved in these three-ways, I don't ask...

On another note... I seem to have a problem. I end up craving Carolina BBQ every Saturday night, at around 10 PM. This is a problem, because all the good places I know to get some good Q are not only closed on Saturday night, but Sunday and Monday as well! Can someone help me get my Q fix tomorrow???

Skyline is the way the go. Goldstar is a sick joke (a joke that my father would force on us because he prefers their chili).

At Skyline you have to get a Skyliner (hot dog with cheese, chili, mustard and onions) and a 3-way. The secret's in the chocolate they use in the chili.

Quote Originally Posted by mehmattski View Post
    On another note... I seem to have a problem. I end up craving Carolina BBQ every Saturday night, at around 10 PM. This is a problem, because all the good places I know to get some good Q are not only closed on Saturday night, but Sunday and Monday as well! Can someone help me get my Q fix tomorrow???
    I hope you have been to Allen and Sons. Get some, freeze it, and stick in in the microwave when you crave real cue.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I hope you have been to Allen and Sons. Get some, freeze it, and stick in in the microwave when you crave real cue.
    Yes, I've been (I'll suppress the sarcasm because I agree you never know with us Yankees... ). I usually go either to Bullock's or to this place on NC-55 in RTP (name escapes me and it's not listed with Google). If freezing doesn't take away too much of the flavor (and I can find me some good vinegar BBQ sauce) I'll have to try your advice. Now I just need to remember my craving on Tuesday...

Swiss Cheese and Trail

From the Dover/New Philadelphia, OH area (for the geographically challenged, this is about 30 minutes south of Canton), the best is swiss cheese and trail bologna (ring bologna). Cheese that is so creamy it melts in your mouth and trail that is spiced just right. Cannot get this quality anywhere else. At least I have not found it.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    please refresh my memory on all the chili houses in Cincinnati and how you get '5 way' chili. Have not been there in about 25 years and the memory is a bit foggy.
    Mmmm...I'd be delighted to oblige. Skyline is the best. I agree with RockyMtn Devil, that Goldstar is a joke. There are several others, too, such as Empress and Dixie, but I've never eaten there.

Here's a link to Skyline's page explaining the ways: http://www.skylinechili.com/signature.php. It's got pictures, too, just to make sure your mouth waters enough! Basically, three way is chili, spaghetti, and a mound of that sumptuous cheese. Four way adds either onions or beans, and five way adds both onions and beans. I'm a fan of the four way with onions. Hmmm...I think I'll break out one of the cans for lunch today...

As I thought about it, one thing that I can't seem to get here in the Triangle that I loved in Dayton is mettwurst. Any ideas?