Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Oh, dear God...Uga would own this place.
    May have trouble carrying Atlanta.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Talking Dooley almost ran for guvna once, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    May have trouble carrying Atlanta.
    No, much of UGA comes from Atlanta, or has Atlanta ties. Tech might get some support, but you'd be surprised at just how strong UGA is here in Atlanta.

    FWIW, the Tech dome is now leaking (they couldn't play the UVA game last night). That was one way they wouldn't lose at home!

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    No, much of UGA comes from Atlanta, or has Atlanta ties. Tech might get some support, but you'd be surprised at just how strong UGA is here in Atlanta.

    FWIW, the Tech dome is now leaking (they couldn't play the UVA game last night). That was one way they wouldn't lose at home!
    Isn't that, like, an engineering school. For shame!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Talking The drought is easing a bit

    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Isn't that, like, an engineering school. For shame!
    Blame it on the guvna for praying!

  5. #25
    Back to Savannah, has anyone ever been to the tea room? Is it worth it?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Well, Charleston's only 1.5 hours away. I say you make the 3 hour round trip each night.
    And Hilton Head is only 45 minutes each way. If you are a fan of prime rib (leave your friend at home!), Crane's Tavern has the best prime rib I've eaten in the last 30 years. Your friend could have a salad and veggie plate if he insists on going with you.
    http://www.hiltonheadisland.com/cranestavern/

    Looking over their linked menu is making my mouth water....
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And Hilton Head is only 45 minutes each way. If you are a fan of prime rib (leave your friend at home!), Crane's Tavern has the best prime rib I've eaten in the last 20 year. Your friend could have a salad and veggie plate if he insists on going with you.
    http://www.hiltonheadisland.com/cranestavern/

    Looking over their linked menu is making my mouth water....
    My family goes there for the Heritage every year, and the Waterfront Cafe (formerly Cafe Europa) is the place to be, especially Saturday night. Last time I was there, we were sitting next to Jim (not Larry) Nance. I was tempted to ask him how he avoids punching Billy Packer in the groin every March.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    My family goes there for the Heritage every year, and the Waterfront Cafe (formerly Cafe Europa) is the place to be, especially Saturday night. Last time I was there, we were sitting next to Larry Nance. I was tempted to ask him how he avoids punching Billy Packer in the groin every March.
    Larry Nance or Jim Nantz?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Larry Nance or Jim Nantz?
    Ugh. My bad. Fixed.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the Thrillerdome in ATL

    A place to eat and more Savannah

    I've eaten at Elizabeth on 37th a few times. Pricey but excellent. They have a website. http://www.elizabethon37th.net/

    Also you may want to take a late evening ghost tour...fun and a little scary like hanging out in the witchcraft section of the Divinity School library around Halloween.

    A must if you haven't read it is "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." A big best seller a decade back, it speaks to some of Savannah's quirky character.

    For a Civil War fix visit Fort Pulaski National Monument east of town on U.S. 80.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Talking Nice places

    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Also you may want to take a late evening ghost tour...fun and a little scary like hanging out in the witchcraft section of the Divinity School library around Halloween.

    A must if you haven't read it is "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." A big best seller a decade back, it speaks to some of Savannah's quirky character.
    There's a really nice breakfast/brunch cafe near the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." Clary's Cafe. Good breakfast and lunch fare. Good blintzes, decent latkes, and very good pancakes/eggs.

    For an upscale drink or four, try 700 Drayton, by the park. It's expensive food, but the drinks are nice.

    Don't forget to stop where they photograph the bus stop bench scenes of Forrest Gump.

    Life is like a box of chocolates...
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    I've eaten at Elizabeth on 37th a few times. Pricey but excellent. They have a website. http://www.elizabethon37th.net/

    Also you may want to take a late evening ghost tour...fun and a little scary like hanging out in the witchcraft section of the Divinity School library around Halloween.

    A must if you haven't read it is "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." A big best seller a decade back, it speaks to some of Savannah's quirky character.

    For a Civil War fix visit Fort Pulaski National Monument east of town on U.S. 80.
    Second for Elizabeth's. Really enjoyed it.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Also you may want to take a late evening ghost tour...fun and a little scary like hanging out in the witchcraft section of the Divinity School library around Halloween.
    I enjoyed the haunted pub crawl. It was a good excuse to take advantage of Savannah's lack of an open container law with a few ghost stories thrown in.
    Pratt '02, Law '06

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    A must if you haven't read it is "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." A big best seller a decade back, it speaks to some of Savannah's quirky character.
    Fun trivia...Which university mascot has an appearance in the film version of "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil"? Hint: You can't spell sugar without him.

  15. #35
    The one bit of advice I have is: if your meeting is in the convention center, you have to take a shuttle boat over to the convention center from where all the hotels are. The hotel side of the river is where the booze is served; the meeting side has no booze. So plan accordingly.
    ~rthomas

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    I have yet to see anyone mention Tubby's. Every time my husband and I go to Savannah, we go there and order the Lowcountry Boil. If you like seafood, you can do no better. Plus, if the weather's nice, it's fun to eat on the deck and look out at the river.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    savannah

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Although southern cuisine is wonderful, my family and I had a dreadful experience at Paula Dean's place, Lady & Sons. HIGHLY overrated, long wait, and fairly expensive for a southern buffet style place. The food was okay, but not out of this world. And I don't think your vegetarian friend will enjoy it. IIRC, devildeac has a much different opinion of it.

    Having said that, maybe they would have your favorite coconut custard pie.

    It's a fun city. Enjoy it!

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

    Devildeac has no opinion about it as he has never dined there. Mrs. Devildeac may opine(?) here but she does not post but I will ask her thoughts and share this week.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    Savannah-Lady and Son

    Discussed with the dear wife this evening and she remembers this restaurant very fondly as being very representative of Southern home/comfort cookin', going early and not having a long line or being particularly expensive. This was about 6 years ago.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Thumbs down Over-rated, clap, clap, clap-clap-clap

    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Discussed with the dear wife this evening and she remembers this restaurant very fondly as being very representative of Southern home/comfort cookin', going early and not having a long line or being particularly expensive. This was about 6 years ago.
    That would explain it. In Fall 2006, my wife (Mrs. Devildeac's sister) had to get there early on a Saturday to wait in line 90 minutes to get a number for later in the day. They give you a time window to be there, at which point you have to wait again. Our family then came back at the appropriate time to wait in line another 75 minutes to be asked if we would mind eating in a location that would not have worked ... so we waited another 15 minutes and managed to get another spot.

    Simply ridiculous, and for food that was nothing special. The ho' cakes (not hot), B.E. peas (usually my wife's favorite), and collards (usually my favorite) were not good. Our daughter wanted to eat somewhere else after being turned off by the place.

    I'd like to think it was a bad day for them. Then again, the cost was out of line for what we got and for our wait. The line situation must have developed after Paula Dean hit it big on FoodTV. You know, even a decent cobbler would have saved the day, but not on that day.

    We felt as though we should have gone to the place Wilson had mentioned earlier.

    Cheers (but not for this place),
    Lavabe

Similar Threads

  1. ksu 85 savannah st 25
    By dukie8 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 01:41 AM
  2. Need travel advice
    By DUKIECB in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 05:26 PM
  3. Travel advice - NJ and PA
    By wiscodevil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM
  4. I just wanted to say...
    By Kewlswim in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 12:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •