Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Savannah Georgia travel advice wanted

In a couple of weeks I'll be presenting at a conferenc in Savannah. I won't have any real sightseeing time during the day, but will be free for dinner two nights. Any restaurant reccomendations? My colleague who is travelling with me is vegetarian (not vegan, but doesn't eat seafood).

I'm not sure if you can get in or not but The Lady & Sons is very popular. It's Paula Dean's restaurant. They have a great buffet if you want southern food.

Thumbs down Restaurant NOT to go to

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    In a couple of weeks I'll be presenting at a conferenc in Savannah. I won't have any real sightseeing time during the day, but will be free for dinner two nights. Any restaurant reccomendations? My colleague who is travelling with me is vegetarian (not vegan, but doesn't eat seafood).
    Although southern cuisine is wonderful, my family and I had a dreadful experience at Paula Dean's place, Lady & Sons. HIGHLY overrated, long wait, and fairly expensive for a southern buffet style place. The food was okay, but not out of this world. And I don't think your vegetarian friend will enjoy it. IIRC, devildeac has a much different opinion of it.

Having said that, maybe they would have your favorite coconut custard pie.

It's a fun city. Enjoy it!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Red face Well...

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'm not sure if you can get in or not but The Lady & Sons is very popular. It's Paula Dean's restaurant. They have a great buffet if you want southern food.
    Well... there you go. uga would prefer a Ymm thread for Paula Dean, and I would prefer a YCCH thread.

I say go to the other restaurants in Savannah. There's a lot to choose... and you won't have as much of a wait.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Hard to eat in Sav. w/o eating seafood.

There is a restaurant -- is it called the Pink House? -- that was pretty good if you are looking for dressy. There are a few good (but kind of touristy) places on River Street/Bay Street.

I tend to agree with Lavabe about Paula Dean's place...rather overrated.
    If you want honest to goodness southern cooking, you need to go to Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room, but unfortunately, you'll have to be free for a weekday lunch, because that's all they serve. But man, is it delicious...they serve the meals family style, and it's all you can eat. They do have some seafood, but mostly really good fried chicken and the like, along with any and every southern-style vegetable you can think of (I suspect your vegetarian friend would approve heartily). It's been in Savannah, run by the same people, for 65 years. This is the place that has the soul, flavor, and history that Paula wishes she had.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If you want honest to goodness southern cooking, you need to go to Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room, but unfortunately, you'll have to be free for a weekday lunch, because that's all they serve. But man, is it delicious...they serve the meals family style, and it's all you can eat. They do have some seafood, but mostly really good fried chicken and the like, along with any and every southern-style vegetable you can think of (I suspect your vegetarian friend would approve heartily). It's been in Savannah, run by the same people, for 65 years. This is the place that has the soul, flavor, and history that Paula wishes she had.
    I've heard reviews from very credible southerners that would verify Wilson's review. Mrs. Wilkes' dining room is legit.

You have got to go to River Street Sweets. Best homemade Turtles on the planet.MMMMMMM

Also take the tours, lots of Civil war info and stuff. You can take the horse and buggy or the trolley.

I've heard reviews from very credible southerners that would verify Wilson's review. Mrs. Wilkes' dining room is legit.
    What, and I'm not a "very credible southerner"? Born and bred, my friend, born and bred...

Thumbs up

Dead on, Wilson! This is the place ... You'll also have to pray (they're really very traditional).

One word: okra!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Well, Charleston's only 1.5 hours away. I say you make the 3 hour round trip each night.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Well, Charleston's only 1.5 hours away. I say you make the 3 hour round trip each night.
    I must agree with that as well. Savannah's great, but at the end of the day, it's really just a poor man's Charleston. Charleston is what heaven looks like.

I must agree with that as well. Savannah's great, but at the end of the day, it's really just a poor man's Charleston. Charleston is what heaven looks like.
    Heh, I thought only snooty Charlestonians thought that.

As we say, Charleston is where the Ashley and the Cooper meet to form the Atlantic Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Heh, I thought only snooty Charlestonians thought that.

As we say, Charleston is where the Ashley and the Cooper meet to form the Atlantic Ocean.
    Someday, I dearly hope to be a non-native Charlestonian. It is undoubtedly my favorite city, and there really isn't much of a second place finisher.

What, and I'm not a "very credible southerner"? Born and bred, my friend, born and bred...
    "stinking liberal communist Obama supporter"? Nah, not a credibile southerner

Touche.

Touche.
    That's why I moved to Boston, where stinking communism is de rigeur.

Smile Point in fact

And by how much did Obama win Georgia?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    And by how much did Obama win Georgia?
    LOL. It was just the primary! I'm just wondering when my university mascot will run for governor and win by a landslide.

LOL. It was just the primary! I'm just wondering when my university mascot will run for governor and win by a landslide.
    Oh, dear God...Uga would own this place.