Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray wins

Blu-ray wins

We've had a few discussions about the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray battle in the last few months, and it looks like we now have a winner. For the first time in pretty much ever, Sony has won a format war, good news for owners of PS3s and other Blu-ray devices.

I picked the losing format. I wonder if HD DVD would have done better if they would have advertised their combo disc capability more extensively.

I thought HD DVD would win b/c people know what that is. Tech-savvy people of course know what Blue-Ray is but your average joe may not.

Guess not

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    I thought HD DVD would win b/c people know what that is. Tech-savvy people of course know what Blue-Ray is but your average joe may not.

Guess not
    The PS3 was a major driver. Given that adoption rates of new technologies are so low, the couple million people who bought PS3s outweighed the relatively small number of people who bought HD-DVD players. That tipped the studios to Blu-ray, and it was all over.

experts

Like in politics this year it shows you that you have to take the "experts" with a grain of salt. Many "experts" said that including a Blu Ray player in the PS3 was a big mistake and made it too expensive and so Wii and Xbox beat them last year. Now some of these same "experts" say it was a brilliant move because it drove up the installed base and helped drive Warner towards Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    Like in politics this year it shows you that you have to take the "experts" with a grain of salt. Many "experts" said that including a Blu Ray player in the PS3 was a big mistake and made it too expensive and so Wii and Xbox beat them last year. Now some of these same "experts" say it was a brilliant move because it drove up the installed base and helped drive Warner towards Blu Ray
    Well, it was a good move for Blu-ray, but still not a great move for the game console. The PS3 is way behind in the race, despite the strides Sony has made in the last few months.

I still don't think it was a great move. It was yet another demonstration of how much contempt Sony has for its customers. They significantly overpriced a game system by throwing in an add-on (for which most gamers are at best ambivalent) that benefits another subsidiary of their corporate umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Well, it was a good move for Blu-ray, but still not a great move for the game console. The PS3 is way behind in the race, despite the strides Sony has made in the last few months.

I still don't think it was a great move. It was yet another demonstration of how much contempt Sony has for its customers. They significantly overpriced a game system by throwing in an add-on (for which most gamers are at best ambivalent) that benefits another subsidiary of their corporate umbrella.
    Given recent history and end result, I'm surprised that the EU hasn't looked into this "bundling". They just love it when a certain Washington-based company does that....(but I'm no technology expert)

And the winner is... non-early adopters! I don't even own an HDTV yet you insensitive clod!

We're probably going to get an HDTV at some point this year, but even then I don't know if we'll fork over $200 for a Blueray player just yet. Regular DVD on HDTV is enough definition for me (where do I turn in my geek membership card?)

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    And the winner is... non-early adopters! I don't even own an HDTV yet you insensitive clod!

We're probably going to get an HDTV at some point this year, but even then I don't know if we'll fork over $200 for a Blueray player just yet. Regular DVD on HDTV is enough definition for me (where do I turn in my geek membership card?)
    Luddite.

You'll be lucky to find a new one for $200, there will be no pressure on hardware pricing for the time being. No need to turn you card in, just destroy it as it won't work anywhere.

Luddite.
    The fact that I had to look up what a Luddite is, means that I don't even know where to get that card

I'm normally an early adopter - but not this time. You need HD for spectacular vistas (Discovery HD) or sports. DVD quality is fine for most movies which consist mostly of head shots. I'll get a player when I can rip the movie to a hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    I'm normally an early adopter - but not this time. You need HD for spectacular vistas (Discovery HD) or sports. DVD quality is fine for most movies which consist mostly of head shots. I'll get a player when I can rip the movie to a hard drive.
    What is the potential to skip that step and get the movie directly via download?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    What is the potential to skip that step and get the movie directly via download?
    That's what I'm holding out for, and having a Tivo HD and FIOS with multiple HD movie channels is tiding me over for now. With the recent software update, Apple TV has become a compelling option for rental of HD content over the intarwebs, but I'm not quite ready to jump yet.

That's why you'll need really fast download speeds. I would think that either the movie will expire after a time or they'll limit you to one viewing. I don't want any limitations.

Non-early adopters are ALWAYS the winners!

"Be not the first by whom the new are tried
    Nor yet the last to lay the old aside."
    -- Alexander Pope

google: emule

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Non-early adopters are ALWAYS the winners!

"Be not the first by whom the new are tried
    Nor yet the last to lay the old aside."
    -- Alexander Pope
    "True wit is nature to advantage dress'd,
    What oft was thought, but ne'er so well express'd."

People don't quote Pope enough these days.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    "True wit is nature to advantage dress'd,
    What oft was thought, but ne'er so well express'd."

People don't quote Pope enough these days.
    Engraved on His Highness's Dog's Collar

I am his Highness's dog at Kew
    Pray tell me, whose dog are you?

Which one is actually better?