This is a horrible story, but

what in the heck are 50+ people doing at 3:40am, on the side of the highway watching a race on a public road.

Crazy.

http://www.charlotte.com/news/ap_news/story/496053.html

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    what in the heck are 50+ people doing at 3:40am, on the side of the highway watching a race on a public road.

Crazy.

http://www.charlotte.com/news/ap_news/story/496053.html
    I have family that live about 7 - 8 miles away. It is far from a rural road - it is a major corridor for long-distance communters from Southern Maryland to DC. The story in the Washington Post speculates that there may have been as many as 300 people watching.

Racing has long been a problem on this stretch of 210.

300!!!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I have family that live about 7 - 8 miles away. It is far from a rural road - it is a major corridor for long-distance communters from Southern Maryland to DC. The story in the Washington Post speculates that there may have been as many as 300 people watching.

You mean to tell me that 300 people were there watching at 3:40 in the morning!

Where were the police?!? And how did 300 people know about this event and nobody with authority know?

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    You mean to tell me that 300 people were there watching at 3:40 in the morning!

Where were the police?!? And how did 300 people know about this event and nobody with authority know?
    The 300 people watching had absolutely no interest in the police knowing about the race. At least not until after the accident, and then police and rescue couldn't get there fast enough for them.

Bad things happen if you're out after 2 a.m. Give you kids a 1 a.m. curfew, and cut them some slack as long as they are home by 1:30.
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 02-16-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Expanding the thought
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The 300 people watching had absolutely no interest in the police knowing about the race. At least not until after the accident, and then police and rescue couldn't get there fast enough for them.

Bad things happen if you're out after 2 a.m. Give you kids a 1 a.m. curfew, and cut them some slack as long as they are home by 1:30.
    No Ozzie. What I am saying is, these 300 people did not fly in instantly. It takes at least a little while for 300 people to gather. If this has been a problem for a while, how could they not know.

You have a trouble area, time for 300 people to gather and no police officers pass this highway area. I think if I passed 300 people standing on the side of the road at 3:40am, I might would let somebody know, thats all. All these people were not just from a local HS. The article said people ranged from the age of 20 to 60!

Some of the people weren't exactly youngsters. One was noted as having attained 61 years of age.

Unbelievable. I grew up right near this spot but never would have heard this story if it weren't for this board. Somewhat less formal racing was common along here when I was a kid, but it was just a 2 lane highway back then.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Unbelievable. I grew up right near this spot but never would have heard this story if it weren't for this board. Somewhat less formal racing was common along here when I was a kid, but it was just a 2 lane highway back then.
    From 6 a.m. top 9 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. it is gridlock - a major communit corridor. After about 10:00 p.m. it is deserted - you feel as if you are in the middle of nowhere. 3 or 4 miles between traffic lights, completely straight, very little traffic.

Racing has gone on here for years, but usually limited to a few teenagers and/or motorcycles. My guess is that something this size wasn't a regular occurance - more like a special event.

some people aren't very smart

From 6 a.m. top 9 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. it is gridlock - a major communit corridor. After about 10:00 p.m. it is deserted - you feel as if you are in the middle of nowhere. 3 or 4 miles between traffic lights, completely straight, very little traffic.

I'm sure it is major gridlock! When I go back through that area nowadays there's been so much development that I don't recognize ANYTHING north of the La Plata area. Downtown Accokeek itself, the part west of 210, is the only part still similar to what it looked like in the 60s except some of the businesses have changed (like the old bank is now a church or something). B&J's carryout is still there, though, or at least it was as of mid 2005.

B&J's carryout is still there, though, or at least it was as of mid 2005.

Still there as of summer 2007, as is the Twin Kiss on Hwy 301, 10 miles or so South of La Plata. Yum, Robertsons for a crab feast dinner, then ice cream at B&Js. Then I'd feel sick the entire next day, but it was well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I want to be your kid. My curfew was 11:00pm in high school if i remember correctly. I still got in trouble though!

Still there as of summer 2007, as is the Twin Kiss on Hwy 301, 10 miles or so South of La Plata. Yum, Robertsons for a crab feast dinner, then ice cream at B&Js. Then I'd feel sick the entire next day, but it was well worth it.
    In high school my best friend and I used to split one lunch and save the rest of our lunch money for chili dogs and onion rings at B&J's after school.

Nowadays when I'm driving north to DC/Maryland from NC with my family, if we hit traffic slowdowns north of Richmond we leave I-95 and get on 301. Supposedly this is because we want to avoid the traffic, but the real reason is it's an excuse to stop at Robertsons.

Nowadays when I'm driving north to DC/Maryland from NC with my family, if we hit traffic slowdowns north of Richmond we leave I-95 and get on 301. Supposedly this is because we want to avoid the traffic, but the real reason is it's an excuse to stop at Robertsons.
    When I travel to Maryland (Columbia) to visit my parents, 301 is the only way I go after Richmond. After Fredicksburg it's a crap shoot as to whether or not traffic will be good the rest of the way. Plus I love that hardly anyone else is on the road.