Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Singler

I don't know what other people think who have watched the youtube clip of the South Medford - Oak Hill game, but I've watched it about ten teams and each time I get completely giddy about how good Singler is. You certainly can't tell about defense but he can score every way imaginable - outside shooting, drive and finish, post moves ... this guy is legit and I predict he will be something special. We have had a lot of big name recruits over the years but I haven't been this excited about an incoming freshman since probably Grant Hill. Not saying I think he is a better recruit or will be a better player than Battier, Brand, Boozer, JWill, Redick or Shelden, just that from what I've seen and heard, I can't wait to see him in a Duke uniform. I think he will start from day one and be a big time scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I don't know what other people think who have watched the youtube clip of the South Medford - Oak Hill game, but I've watched it about ten teams and each time I get completely giddy about how good Singler is. You certainly can't tell about defense but he can score every way imaginable - outside shooting, drive and finish, post moves ... this guy is legit and I predict he will be something special. We have had a lot of big name recruits over the years but I haven't been this excited about an incoming freshman since probably Grant Hill. Not saying I think he is a better recruit or will be a better player than Battier, Brand, Boozer, JWill, Redick or Shelden, just that from what I've seen and heard, I can't wait to see him in a Duke uniform. I think he will start from day one and be a big time scorer.

What's the link to that game? Now you're getting me giddy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=etarE-rRNMg

I think someone already posted it, but here it is again.

Kyle Singler does know how to score, I've heard and read (from fans) he will be the starter and a star from day one. I say give him some time, I think he will be a great player, but with all the forwards next year.. Give him some time

Lance Thomas
    David McClure
    Taylor King
    Brian Zoubek
    Josh McRoberts?
    Kyle Singler

All of these guys will be fighting for 2 spots(If McRoberts stays). I believe Coach K will run some 3 guard lineup. Of course he will go big from time to time, but generally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Taylor King scored 32 points as Mater Dei defeated Compton in the CIF Southern Sectionals semi-finals.

http://www.ocvarsity.com/schedules/d...8&gameID=32826

The ability to follow the high school careers of top prospects is a definite advantage of the internet age.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Nice stats on that page. If you click on King's name, you can pull up his gamelogs for the entire season. I had heard good things about his rebounding, but the reality is far better than what I expected from I guy who I previously thought of as primarily a perimeter player. It looks like he has more double digit rebounding games than single digit ones, including outings where he pulled in 16, 17, and 18 boards. Several games with multiple blocks, too. Nice.

Based on these stats, it looks like he possesses a much more complete game than I remember him having when he played in Durham last summer.

future pg

I know Paulus isn't going anywhere for awhile, but with all of this recruiting talk do we have any pg prospects beyond the rumor of Lucas?

Has anyone seen the junior recruit Monroe play? I heard he is a big Duke fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    I know Paulus isn't going anywhere for awhile, but with all of this recruiting talk do we have any pg prospects beyond the rumor of Lucas?

Has anyone seen the junior recruit Monroe play? I heard he is a big Duke fan.
    We are recruiting Larry Drew, Jr. who is currently a Junior at William H. Taft High School in Woodland Hills, CA.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

that was tight!

Smith is an excellent athlete and player. He, not Scheyer, should be the back up to Paulus being as though he can break the defense down off of the dribble and create. I am very excited about the incoming freshman on a whole.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukebacker View Post
    Next year

3 studs coming in. We will probably have the deepest bench in the nation along with one of the most talented teams. It will be interesting to see who plays a lot.

PG-Will obvious be Paulus. Injuries slowed him this year. The guy is starting to get on a roll. Smith and Scheyer could get a lot of time here too especially if Greg gets off to a slow start.
    SG-Scheyer? Henderson? Maybe Nels here and King at 3? It will be interesting to see what happens here.
    SF-Nels is more then likely to start here and Scheyer and Henderson will battle it out for the SG position. King will play a lot. As well as Singler
    PF-Lance Thomas-He will be better with experience and ready to go. Will split a lot of time with McClure.
    Other Forward-McRoberts(hopefully) Hopefully he will stay once he sees Durant Oden and Wright fo to the NBA and Zoub will back up.

Just my take...hopefully thats what happens. Next year will definately be a contender year especially if McRobs comes back.

GO DUKE
    From the couple of games I've seen him play, I think Singler is going to make a push early on to be in the starting lineup. I think he's the most likely to start next year of the incoming freshmen. He could go in the frontcourt next to another big (Josh, if he's back, or Lance or Brian or Patrick) or he could play at a SF-like position. Outside more, he'd struggle to guard smaller, quicker guys, but it could happen.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

One Thing I Have Learned about College Basketball

is not to get ahead of myself and start thinking about next year too soon.

After being surprised by Avery, Maggette, Dunleavy, Randolph, Burgess and I am sure a few others I can not think of off-hand, I will wait before trying to figure out next year's rotation.

SoCal

Where is Jennings and Legion going?

I like the lefty guard!

Thumbs up Links to video, stories from Kyle Singler's hometown newspaper

Hey folks, thought you'd be interested in seeing some footage of Kyle Singler and his teammates at South Medford High School's first playoff game Feb. 28 against Aloha in Medford, Oregon. We've got two clips at mailtribune.com, the Web site for Singler's hometown newspaper -- the short one focuses on two nice plays by Singler, starting with a steal and a slam dunk.

For more stuff on Singler, check this special section on our Web site.

Enjoy!

Scott