Vic Bubas-HOF Finalist

Vic Bubas is deserving

Vic Bubas will be honored by Duke at halftime of the St. Johns game on February 23.

I interviewed Bubas a few years ago and some of you older guys might be interested in these tidbits of how he viewed some players:

Best shooter? "Best long-range shooter was Bob Verga. Best medium-range shooter was Jeff Mullins."

Best rebounder? "Mike Lewis"

Best ballhandler? "Hard to say. You almost would have to break that down between backcourt & frontcourt. One thing that people tend to forget about Art Heyman was, yea he scored a lot of points, but if you were open he would get you the ball. He was a lot better passer than anyone would think."

Best all-around? "Fundamentally, when you take every phase of the game into consideration, that is shooting, dribbling, rebounding, passing, defending, I think that Jack Marin's fundamentals were probably stronger than any other player. The proof of that is that I used him in the backcourt, I used him in the frontcourt, & sometimes I would put him in the pivot."

Also, he had this comment regarding which of his Duke teams he felt was the best:

"I think our team in 1966 was more difficult to beat. But on the other hand, if the 63, 65, & 66 teams played each other, the games would probably be pretty evenly matched. The 66 team, based on every facet of the game, was maybe a little bit better than the others."