Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FSU's Reid ejected

Our favorite thug is at it again.
    Florida State's Ryan Reid has just been ejected for throwing a sucker punch to the face of Wake Forest's Chas McFarland.

What a punk. I cant stand him. Don't know who I hate hate more, him or Deron Washington.

Where's Celebrity Deathmatch when we need it?

Link

I'm going to turn on the TV to see if I can check out the highlight. But when someone gets a video link of the incident PLEASE post it. I was talking with a UNC fan today about how rough play has gotten in league. You'd think the two biggest rivals would be most likely to have incidents like this. (Okay there was Henderson TH, but that was an accident.) Thugs don't need to be playing ACC basketball for ANY team, apparently coaches from around the league don't agree.

I wonder if the ACC can take action, maybe by an automatic number of games suspension for throwing a punch. Or doesn't the ACC have teeth? Doesn't the NCAA have a one game suspension rule for this? Apparently it is not enough, and not enforced with sufficient rigor. Tough D is great, punches are not.
    Didn't Chris Paul have to sit for a game after punching Julius Hodge? Maybe the suspension ought to be for more than one game, and the second offense is out for the season.
    Last edited by mgtr; 02-14-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Added Chris Paul example.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I wonder if the ACC can take action, maybe by an automatic number of games suspension for throwing a punch. Or doesn't the ACC have teeth? Doesn't the NCAA have a one game suspension rule for this? Apparently it is not enough, and not enforced with sufficient rigor. Tough D is great, punches are not.
    Didn't Chris Paul have to sit for a game after punching Julius Hodge? Maybe the suspension ought to be for more than one game, and the second offense is out for the season.
    From what I remember, a combative flagrant (which is what Paul and Gerald Henderson got for their incidents) is a one-game suspension.

IIRC, an all-out punch is more than one game.

Ref Review

Thanks Bo....Bo knows basketball links.

At the end of the clip I saw the refs looking at the TV monitor to see exactly what happened which brings up a couple of questions. Most every college game is taped by the teams playing to review later. If a game isn't televised is it customary for the assaulted team to send video to the powers that be? Did the refs review the Henderson / Hansblahblah incident before throwing GH out of the game last year, I can't remember? Anyone remember Duke playing Temple years ago and Greg Newton taking an intentional forearm in the back of the head and getting knocked out cold? The Temple coach suspended the player a game after seeing the incident on TV, but the refs didn't see it happen in the game. I'm wondering if in this instance if the refs saw it happen or if they just saw the player laying in the floor and went to the monitors to see what happened.

It's getting to the point in ACC ball where it's hard not to think players are trying to harm other players and even ruin any chances of playing basketball again. If we fans are on the street or even at a game and sucker punch someone we can and probably will be brought up on assault charges. I think it's about time players / schools started letting the legal system take some action. A couple nights in jail and / or a fine in addition to suspension (you can't play when you are worried about getting shanked in the shower) might teach some of these thugs a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Thanks Bo....Bo knows basketball links.

At the end of the clip I saw the refs looking at the TV monitor to see exactly what happened which brings up a couple of questions. Most every college game is taped by the teams playing to review later. If a game isn't televised is it customary for the assaulted team to send video to the powers that be? Did the refs review the Henderson / Hansblahblah incident before throwing GH out of the game last year, I can't remember? Anyone remember Duke playing Temple years ago and Greg Newton taking an intentional forearm in the back of the head and getting knocked out cold? The Temple coach suspended the player a game after seeing the incident on TV, but the refs didn't see it happen in the game. I'm wondering if in this instance if the refs saw it happen or if they just saw the player laying in the floor and went to the monitors to see what happened.
    If the officials think that a punch has been thrown, they can go to the replay monitor to determine.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Did the refs review the Henderson / Hansblahblah incident before throwing GH out of the game last year, I can't remember?
    Yes, I'm pretty sure they did.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Yes, I'm pretty sure they did.
    They definitely did. They determined that G hadn't thrown a punch, but the forearm was worthy of a flagrant.

I found the video on ESPN's team page for Wake as well.

As I have posted several previous times, this flagrant and thuggish behavior is currently out of control in the ACC. Reid merits suspension for the remainder of the season, to demonstrate -- unambiguously -- that the ACC will not tolerate this sort of conduct. Without a draconian punishment, some fine young player will eventually be seriously and permanently injured on the court, DUE TO A DELIBERATE and CALCULATED ACTION. When that happens, the players, refs, coaches, fans, ADs, university administrators, and ACC hierarchy that has tolerated (perhaps even implicitly condoned) this violence will be responsible, through their clear, long-term inaction.

I saw this hightlight last night as I was headed to bed... WTF?

Reid straight cold-cocked that kid! I mean just lined him up and wailed... that's a person with some issues right there.
    WWJDD?

Ryan Reid needs to attend anger management counseling. What I found interesting was Reid's facial expressions/non-verbal communication when he took his seat on the bench immediately after the incident. He appears disgusted. Is he disgusted with his behavior? Or with the ref's decision to eject him?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Ryan Reid needs to attend anger management counseling. What I found interesting was Reid's facial expressions/non-verbal communication when he took his seat on the bench immediately after the incident. He appears disgusted. Is he disgusted with his behavior? Or with the ref's decision to eject him?
    Ditto.

How can you punch someone in the throat and feel like you've been wronged?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Ryan Reid needs to attend anger management counseling.
    And his coach needs to step up and show some leadership.

Dont take me wrong...

But i wish they had a better angle of this. I am no fan of the thugery that is starting to happen frequently in the ACC but it almost looks like he was just trying to get the Wake player who was obviously holding him to let go. However, as I said if another video shows a closed fist punch then suspend him till the end of the regular season since its not his first offense.

The description on SportsCenter (take that for what it is worth) said the two got tangled up after a WF rebound and transition down the court. Reid punched the WF kid to get away.

My office next door neighbor (a UNC fan) and I agree the ACC needs to do something here. This "Big East" brand of basketball that seems to have come in with VT and BC (though FSU's Reid seems particularly bad) is taking away from the game and a great tradition here. I'm not sure if these schools get inferior recruits who result to these tactics to gain a competitive edge, or some of these kids are a bad seed or what. But, as long as the ACC lets it go - they're going to use it...

accumulation

Perhaps an accumulation system like many professional soccer leagues and tournaments use would help. The NCAA or the league could assign point values for technicals, flagrants, and intentionals and have a suspension system based on acculated points. A similar system could be applied at the team level and schools could be fined. Of course, the alternative is simply to enforce existing rules and issue firm suspensions for stuff like this. Either way, the consequences need to be increased. This season has been uglier than most as far as I can tell.