Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Vasquez

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Ah, I totally missed the Bugs Bunny reference. That makes more sense. I've forgotten that he says that, and I'm not sure why Warner Bros. chose that term. Seems like somebody would know the meaning behind the word maroon.
    Maroon... Moron... get it? Not that complicated, unless you're a-- oh, never mind.

Doesn't the word maroon as used by Bugs Bunny represent mangled Brooklynese for moron?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Maroon... Moron... get it? Not that complicated, unless you're a-- oh, never mind.
    Yes, I understood that immediately. I am a Duke grad after all. What I'm saying is that it's odd that Warner Bros chose that word since it has an alternate meaning.

Yes, I understood that immediately. I am a Duke grad after all. What I'm saying is that it's odd that Warner Bros chose that word since it has an alternate meaning.
    Well it's not like WB cared for political correctness back in the 30s/40s/50s

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I think it's a Bug Bunny reference. Didn't know about this word. Cool, something new today.
    Wasn't the phrase used by the Stooges as well?

I like Nelson a lot, but his comment seemed more inflammatory than Vasquez's.

I was more struck by his comment that if he were Chavez's son, he'd have lots of power and money. Very few children of US politicians would say such a thing, and even those around the children view their power as "one step removed" and the parents' wealth to be something accumulated after leaving office. In most countries, though, presidents get rich as presidents.

By the way, the use of the word "maroon" was innocent, here, but it is an example of how the innocent use of words can make relatively disenfranchised minorities feel uncomfortable.

People have been substituting "maroon" for moron for years. It was particularly popular on "teh interwebs" about 3 years ago. Lately, it seems to me that "moran" has become more popular.

Either way, they're just different ways of calling somebody an idjit.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    People have been substituting "maroon" for moron for years. It was particularly popular on "teh interwebs" about 3 years ago. Lately, it seems to me that "moran" has become more popular.

Either way, they're just different ways of calling somebody an idjit.
    I wonder is the use of "moran" has anything to do with my old congressman Moran, who from my perspective if a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    By the way, the use of the word "maroon" was innocent, here, but it is an example of how the innocent use of words can make relatively disenfranchised minorities feel uncomfortable.

Yeah, but c'mon - can't people be a little oversensitive/looking for something to be mad about? I got the Bugs Bunny reference immediately, and didn't even know there was an alternate meaning.

It apeared to me that the two of them were talking to one another during the game and I suspect that Nelson was irritated at the end of the game. I thought that Nelson's post game remarks were a little out of line and the SI writer probably sought out Vasquez to respond. I don't think that it is a big deal in either case.

The Terps don't have the depth of quality players that Duke has and Vasquez needs to play more minutes and do more things than most point guards on ACC teams so he does dominate the ball. Nelson was in his grill for nearly the entire contest and Vasquez still had a good, all around game, IMO.

gw67

The only alternate meaning I know of is the color maroon. Is there a problem with that?(?!)

Singler is a tough kid and gives as good as he gets. Same with Vasquez. I seem to recall that several folks on this board looked at replays of that first game episode and concluded that it was no big deal. Who knows and who cares! There are several on this board who seem to think that all opposition players are "dirty" and that Duke players do no wrong. Life just isn't that way.

gw67

I always assumed "moran" was connected to Fark.com, the users of which have a habit of posting this photo.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I'd also like to interject another small, but important, point. According to Merriam-Webster (m-w.com), the noun "maroon" is a person who is marooned (left on an island or in a desolate area without means of escape) or a dark-red color. When capitalized, "Maroon" refers to a fugitive slave or a descendant of such a person. (Look it up on m-w.com, and/or check out this word that BD80 posted. I learned something new and quite interesting today!)

I always thought that Bugs Bunny used the term "maroon" to mean a moron who was so moronic, he's marooned in it -- the maroon is completely incapable of escape from being a moron. Just my $0.02.

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    I'd also like to interject another small, but important, point. According to Merriam-Webster (m-w.com), the noun "maroon" is a person who is marooned (left on an island or in a desolate area without means of escape) or a dark-red color. When capitalized, "Maroon" refers to a fugitive slave or a descendant of such a person. (Look it up on m-w.com, and/or check out this word that BD80 posted. I learned something new and quite interesting today!)

I always thought that Bugs Bunny used the term "maroon" to mean a moron who was so moronic, he's marooned in it -- the maroon is completely incapable of escape from being a moron. Just my $0.02.

Good thing my caps lock was off!

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    I always assumed "moran" was connected to Fark.com, the users of which have a habit of posting this photo.
    Bingo! That photo is great. For now, I certainly prefer "moran" to either "maroon" or "moron," but who knows how I'll feel in a couple of weeks.