Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    nonslaught?

Henderson

We were at the game tonight, and it seemed pretty obvious that Gerald was hurting. So many times you could see him simply grabbing the wrist, even with that brace. Has there ever been any official word about what's up with the wrist?

My family and I were THRILLED to see Dave go in and dunk (sorta) the ball in the first half. However, us and everyone around us had a collective "what was that?" moment when he put up the 3 ball.

We seemed to have a difficult time finishing tonight - and that wasn't always due to defense. Several times someone would drive (Nelson and Singler twice each - not that I'm complaining - I'm just saying .. .) and they would kick the ball out of bounds, or it would hit their knee, or they would just flat out lose it. Without those, we would have really done something inside.

Good game. Not sure which I prefer - a cold first half and hot second half, or a hot first half and just hang on second half. Either way, as long as it ends up with a "W" I'll take it.

Even in routine interviews he comes across as an angry guy, in a seething-beneath-the-surface sense.

From where we were sitting, my kids got a pretty good view of "sweat, gary, sweat"s behavior. My oldest son (10) keep saying, "Dad, look at sweaty Gary yelling at those guys."

Now I realize K can yell, and use the exact same language Gary does. But if he is addressing his players, it at least seems a little more constructive.

Anyone have a count on Sweaty's technicals this year? He's exactly the kind of guy they were targeting with the supposed "decorum" focus this year.

Haven't seen it much. Then again, Daniel Ewing isn't coaching for anyone yet.

dukemsu

Not all yelling is the same. Some, such as Coach K, can yell constructively, while others, such as GW, seem to yell destructively, if that distinction makes sense.

I don't recall ever seeing Gary hit with a T.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Not all yelling is the same. Some, such as Coach K, can yell constructively, while others, such as GW, seem to yell destructively, if that distinction makes sense.
    Agreed. Even more troubling for Sweaty is that often, it seems that no one is listening to his rantings, not refs, his team, his assistants. I don't get that impression with K.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing Gary hit with a T.
    Well, he did get tossed from Cameron back in 1998.

Good lord, that was ten years ago.

Is Gerald injured? He seems to not elevate as well, and certainly doesn't finish with authority Maybe he and Scherer should change places? Scheyer can definitely take it to the hole on a clear oout. And, he can make his free throws. Excited to see the official box.

And, If I haven't mentioned it lately, MGs are really great cars!

I haven't read any of the posts as yet....it's late and I just finished watching a tape of the game. It was a heart-thumper for a while!

Singler and Paulus carried the team tonight with some clutch help from Scheyer. Nelson had 10-12 points but didn't stand out.

Henderson cannot have games like this any longer if we are to succeed. There is no excuse for him not to have a single basket. This guy can't be invisible.

I think Taylor is getting down on himself. He's had some bad shooting games lately. I saw him after the game shaking hands and he looked really down. The kid just needs to slow down and get a feel for the game. The coaches have got to calm him down.

Nolan played a little like a deer caught in the headlights also.

A good win but as the season draws to an end, our boys will be under more pressure with each game. Four of the next 6 are on the road so let's not get to far ahead of ourselves.

Yes, I am also concerned about Gerald's wrist, and about Taylor's lack of confidence lately. But I disagree that this is a team that "lives & dies" by the 3.

Yes, obviously (...and much to our delight) this is a team with true shooters. And yet, I feel they have proven -- and will continue to prove -- that even when the 3s aren't falling, they find other ways to keep opponents off-balance. Great D is a signature of this team. Alley-Oops, slash & burn, great court vision, using BB IQ to cause the other team to foul at strategic points in the game.

Do I cringe about a bad shooting night? Of course. Do I think all of these guys will be ineffective all night for a whole game? Not really.

Maryland is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Surfsideron View Post
    I haven't read any of the posts as yet....it's late and I just finished watching a tape of the game. It was a heart-thumper for a while!

Singler and Paulus carried the team tonight with some clutch help from Scheyer. Nelson had 10-12 points but didn't stand out.

Henderson cannot have games like this any longer if we are to succeed. There is no excuse for him not to have a single basket. This guy can't be invisible.

I think Taylor is getting down on himself. He's had some bad shooting games lately. I saw him after the game shaking hands and he looked really down. The kid just needs to slow down and get a feel for the game. The coaches have got to calm him down.

Nolan played a little like a deer caught in the headlights also.

A good win but as the season draws to an end, our boys will be under more pressure with each game. Four of the next 6 are on the road so let's not get to far ahead of ourselves.
    Everyone is a bit banged up and this is a tough stretch- two very emotional games against UNC and Maryland. Players will not always play at their best. But Henderson was very active yesterday- 7 bounds and 3 assists - that is not invisible. Nolan who starred against Maryland at Maryland- did not play enough to get caught in the headlights and King is in a funk but we all know that could all change in one game. I actually think King can do more if needed. He has a pretty good feel for the game. The next few games are going to be a challenege. So far the team has been up to it.

An excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Yes, I am also concerned about Gerald's wrist, and about Taylor's lack of confidence lately. But I disagree that this is a team that "lives & dies" by the 3.

Yes, obviously (...and much to our delight) this is a team with true shooters. And yet, I feel they have proven -- and will continue to prove -- that even when the 3s aren't falling, they find other ways to keep opponents off-balance. Great D is a signature of this team. Alley-Oops, slash & burn, great court vision, using BB IQ to cause the other team to foul at strategic points in the game.

Do I cringe about a bad shooting night? Of course. Do I think all of these guys will be ineffective all night for a whole game? Not really.
    I totally agree with your analysis on Duke and the 3 ball this year; on this team, though we're shooting a lot from the next zip codes, it's coming out of our regular offense and we have many guys who can stroke those shots. Even our reliable big, Iron Man Kyle Singler, is a true threat with the deep shot.

Point is that if we've got three guys who're off (God forbid it, just sayin'...) that night, someone else on Duke is going to step it up and fill in.

In those games, however, Duke is going to have to hit those free throws.

Good point and post.

dth.

Some thoughts on last night’s game are:

• The final outcome was what I expected but I’m surprised that it wasn’t greater given the significant differences in three point goals, made foul shots and turnovers.
    • Each coach was successful in stopping what the other team did well in the first game. Nelson, Henderson and Smith were big factors in the first win while Singler, Paulus and Scheyer (and three point shooting) were shut down. Last night, Singler, Paulus and Scheyer were the leaders on offense and Henderson and Smith were shut down. On the other side, the key Maryland players in the first game, Gist and Osby, were held in check and the guards were unable to get the ball to the frontcourt players in a place where they could score easily.
    • The Devils defense was stifling. The defense forced Vasquez to start further from the basket and the deny defense prevented most entry passes to the interior. Helping the Devils was the fact that Gist and Hayes couldn’t put the ball in the ocean.
    • Singler and Paulus are stepping up to join Nelson as the leaders on this team. Both are playing at a very high level and appear on their way to making 2nd/3rd team All ACC.
    • The only bright spot for the Terps was the play of Vasquez. Even with Nelson in his grill the entire game, he was able to drive to the basket and score on numerous occasions. He also had a bunch of rebounds and assists, and on defense he held Nelson in check in the halfcourt defense (I believe that Nelson flushed two on breakaways).

The Devils continue to elevate their game. An undefeated ACC season is within reach, IMO. To beat them, a team will need to bring its’ “A” game on offense and take away some of the outside shooting. That is not an easy task and I think that a healthy UNC is the only team in the ACC who have the potential to do so.

gw67

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I thought it was one of the most civil Duke-Md games in recent history. I usually leave the game cussing a blue streak about one of MD's players, but it was actually a pretty clean game.

I think the second half slump started when DeMarcus missed a few outside shots, then got tentative. We seemed to lose our rythm and moving the ball. Whoever played D on Gerald must have done a great job because he was as quiet as he has been all year. Still, overall it was a big conference win against a hungry, hot, well-coached team. Yay us!
    One of the ironies of the expanded ACC is that teams I've come to hate (UNC, Maryland) show so much more on court sportsmanship then the teams I was until recently indifferent towards (cough, VT, BC, cough).

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    nonslaught?
    IIRC, nonslaught was coined in Snrub chat one night to describe a long scoring drought by Duke. If one of Duke's patented scoring bursts could be described as an onslaught, then it follows that a drought could be labeled a nonslaught.

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    on T.V that when we went to the "spread offense" (that we use to call the "stall", I like spread better ) everyone stood up to cheer. It is extremely effective, and I love seeing K direct like he is leading a symphony orchestra.

My, how far we have come. It's like a knockout punch you know is coming, but ya can't do nothin' about it!
    The stall game is an absolute pleasure to watch this year. Typically, I think of our stall game as an offense in which we try to break even or only lose a point or two every minute. I understand the necessity but it makes me want to run to the fridge and torpedo a couple brews to numb the pain.

Now, it seems to be something which we can use to extend the lead. Our players seem to keep their offensive mindset, rather than "losing the flow."

I love how when the defense hands us an opportunity to score a layup we take it rather than stall another 5 to 10 seconds. Two points is as good as stalling another half minute.

I assume the difference is we have a team full of guys who are legitimate threats to slash to the basket-- Nelson, Henderson, Smith, Singler, and Scheyer.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    • Each coach was successful in stopping what the other team did well in the first game. Nelson, Henderson and Smith were big factors in the first win while Singler, Paulus and Scheyer (and three point shooting) were shut down. Last night, Singler, Paulus and Scheyer were the leaders on offense and Henderson and Smith were shut down. On the other side, the key Maryland players in the first game, Gist and Osby, were held in check and the guards were unable to get the ball to the frontcourt players in a place where they could score easily.
    Interesting, I didn't catch this-- this certainly explains what I saw.

I saw a Maryland team completely stifling the drive, and forcing Duke to become a bunch of jump-shooters and three-point shooters.

Vitale kept complaining about Paulus and Singler working open at three point range, but as far as I could tell that was the trade Maryland was making to absolutely stuff the drive, which they did.

A couple times when the three stopped falling, Maryland closed the gap fast. Then the three would start falling again, and Duke would get back a margin.

My guess is, this is a plan we're going to see again, particularly in the tournaments-- stifle the drive, and hope Duke gets cold at range.