Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I hope it was noticed

on T.V that when we went to the "spread offense" (that we use to call the "stall", I like spread better ) everyone stood up to cheer. It is extremely effective, and I love seeing K direct like he is leading a symphony orchestra.

My, how far we have come. It's like a knockout punch you know is coming, but ya can't do nothin' about it!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    You're right; Gerald and DeMarcus were not at the top of their game tonight. Just another example of a) this team's offensive balance, and b) its defensive prowess, imo.
    I think part of the problem for G and DMarc was that the refs were allowing a lot of contact. Ehen they drove the lane, they had trouble holding onto the ball, yet very few fouls were being called. That's not to say I think the refs did a bad job, they were fairly consistent on both ends of the floor, so i have no complaints. I just think that G and DMarc didn't make the best adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    It was great to see big Z getting a few minutes against Maryland's post players.

When he played within himself on the defensive end, it really made a difference against Maryland in the paint.

What I wish Z would do when he is caught on a switch out on the perimeter, is after showing the hedge pull back a step or two toward the basket. He is 7-frickin' feet, make the opposing player try to shoot over him rather than trying to play so close that the smaller, quicker guard can easily drive around him.

On the offensive end, they're clearly not comfortable trying to feed him down low yet, he needs to work himself back into the flow before that will come.
    I was a fan of Z's minutes as well. His second stint, he was all over the place, though. Inside, then outside, then inside again, then trying to contest a 3 after being in the block- we need you to rebound, big guy! I think it was a combination of being out of game-flow and trying to do everything he can to show K he's ready. Gotta love the enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I think part of the problem for G and DMarc was that the refs were allowing a lot of contact. Ehen they drove the lane, they had trouble holding onto the ball, yet very few fouls were being called. That's not to say I think the refs did a bad job, they were fairly consistent on both ends of the floor, so i have no complaints. I just think that G and DMarc didn't make the best adjustments.
    Plus, neither shot well...the combo of not sinking 'em and not drawing fouls made for comparatively underproductive nights for both.

Thomas

Lance may not have one of his better offensive game tonight, but he really did well on the defensive end. I am really impressed with his progress.

He's just absolutely energetic in the open court, flying here and there to help out defense, to help trapping. There was one play, he was in the mid-court, just determined to give the terp's ball-handler the hell. He pressed the first guy, didn't work. Came back and kept on pressing the other guys. And the next second, he stole the ball! I was really really happy for that play.

Oh, and there were times Lance was handling the ball with a lot of traffic around him. I find myself no longer THAT nervous when Lance dribbles.

I thought it was one of the most civil Duke-Md games in recent history. I usually leave the game cussing a blue streak about one of MD's players, but it was actually a pretty clean game.

I think the second half slump started when DeMarcus missed a few outside shots, then got tentative. We seemed to lose our rythm and moving the ball. Whoever played D on Gerald must have done a great job because he was as quiet as he has been all year. Still, overall it was a big conference win against a hungry, hot, well-coached team. Yay us!

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    Lance may not have one of his better offensive game tonight, but he really did well on the defensive end. I am really impressed with his progress...
    One of my thoughts during tonight's game, after he pulled down a solid rebound, was that I can't remember another player displaying this much in-season improvement for us in a long time. Considering how much we need him to keep doing what he's been doing, I think Lance could submit one of the great unsung individual Duke seasons we've seen in a while. Wish I could be back on campus to tell him so.

Seemed to me that Gary did a masterful job coaching. In the second half, Maryland played a completely different defense, at least I think, that deprived K a chance to do his adjustments at halftime.

The defense, I think it had to do with stopping finishes off the penetration by deploying the bigs in a type of two man zone, with the guy who did not stop the dribbler being responsible for Duke's lone big inside and closing on the shooter if the ball went out and was rotated. Osby had difficulty getting to Singler a few times, but basically, the easy layups were stopped, and most threes contested.

What I was looking for Duke to do was what they finally did off a time out, which was to get it to Lance on the move. He missed a contested lay up, but that was something that would have been their the entire second half.

The first half Gary let the threes rain; in the second half I think he stopped the dribble penetration and finishes and guarded the threes but the middle would have been vulnerable, especially to a high low game between Singler and Lance aka against Carolina.

K coached great down the stretch. One time, I don't know how, he created a no help down low (maybe it was a 1-4 alignment or a 2-3 with the three high, and Scheyer had an easy route to the basket after a terrific hesitation off a foul line screen. In addition to the play for Lance, I think that there was a week-sde clearout that allowed Singler to attack the basket from the corner, and a general use of Singler to attack, leaving Maryland without their mini two-man big zone in the middle to help on the attack.

Singler played just terrifically. The final 8 minutes the entire team played great, especially defensively.

Give Maryland and Gary lots of credit. This Duke team is so fun to watch!

"This Duke team is so fun to watch!"

One of my favorite teams in years. I'm not sure how long the ride's gonna be, but I'm sure as hell enjoying it while it lasts.

One of the things I noticed in the second half was that Maryland tried to run on every missed shot, and we were having a hard time getting back. One problem with shooting a long ball is that it more often results in a long rebound if you miss. Maryland caught those long misses and pushed the ball down the court for quick, easy buckets time and again.

I'd never noticed us having this issue before, probably because it's been awhile since we've had a 5 minute dry spell like that. My guess is that the guys will be working a bit on getting back on D after a long miss this week.

That being said, this is a tough team, and I've enjoyed watching them all season. Tonight's win was great. We survived a Maryland punch, and punched them right back. Last year we would have crumbled and tried to hold on. Seeing us answer Maryland's 3's time and again just had to take the wind out of their sails. And watching us run the delay at the end of a game is just so satisfying. Other than Lance's miss (which he should have knocked down), I think we scored on every possession. Tough to come back on a team when they do that.

Great win. Just great.
    "There can BE only one."

Loved seeing Z make a difference on the defensive end for a few minutes and props to Lance for his continued improvement on both ends. I think these guys will be very important in March and April.

Great job by the crazies tonight!

Why is Gary Williams allowed out of the coaching box while screaming at the refs? He showed them up big time.

Gary Williams Please Shut Up

I really try to remain indifferent when it comes to people who exhibit traits that I find undesirable. That said, I cannot stand Gary Williams!

He doesn’t graduate players
    During the game:
    He screams at players on the bench
    He screams at his assistants
    He screams at the refs (and does not get called for a technical)
    Everytime his team has the ball they were fouled wether they scored or not and someone must be screamed at.
    Everytime his team is on defense a call was missed or not called early enough wether the team scores or not and someone must be screamed at.

If I was one of his players on the bench I would knock him on his butt if he was screaming in my face like that for two hours.

Why does anyone put up with that? Is he a totally different person outside of game situations? Do his players like him? Do players leave early because they cannot take it anymore or is academics are just not a priority?

GREAT SIGNS TONIGHT BY THE CRAZES
    Fear the Classroom - The mind is a terrapin thing to waste - If you can read this Gary won’t recruit you – 0%

Give him a break...Duke gets all the calls.

Swarm

It amazes me how we "swarm" and fight for rebounds! We may be shorter than many teams, but we make up for it in "fight" and determination! That, coupled with the way we "can" force turnovers (first half tonight especially) make this team very exciting to watch, as many have said. I have not seen this much hustle in a long, long time.

I agree that this was the most "civil" game against Maryland I have witnessed in some time. This was a tough game for both teams. Fortunately, we came out the winner.

On the threes. Thank goodness for our scoring balance. Someone steps forward each game.

Am I the only one who thinks that King may be experiencing some sort of psychological issue when he steps in to play? Nervous, tentative, etc.?
    Can he be worked into our offense a bit better...? I would like to see a bit more playing time for him, despite his defensive liabilities at this point. We could espcially use his three's from time to time (scoring dearth in second half, for example).

But all in all, this team is for real!!!

after all the maryland is the hottest team in the acc talk i can't keep repeating:

drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot...

Minutes creeping up

Great win for Duke but I'm concerned that the minutes for key players (Singler, Paulus, Nelson) are creeping up in the mid 30 minute range. I would like to see more minutes from McClure and Smith. Seems like King -- with his outside shot totally disappearing -- is the odd man out but I think he can still contribute. Would love to get that flow going again where waves of Dukies keep coming off the bench to run the other team down. Can't complain about much else.

Tchoup.

Gary's personality is like that off of the court also

Have watched Gary around his players off the court. Simply put....he is verbally abusive to them...and in public settings no less. Would never want my son anywhere near his type of coaching.

Have been appalled by his behavior and have discussed it with people close to the Terp program. They do not deny it nor make any excuses for him. They're just grateful for the success he has had.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    One problem with shooting a long ball is that it more often results in a long rebound if you miss. Maryland caught those long misses and pushed the ball down the court for quick, easy buckets time and again.
    One question I had... I didn't want to start another thread... but on "long" rebounds after a missed 3-point attempt, why is it that the defensive team "always" have the advantage. At least, that's what I constantly hear. If the offensive team knows this, why can't the other 4 players position themselves for the "long" rebound. But, I think Duke has generally done well in this respect? Thanks...

I am quite glad we won and thought it was yet another gutsy performance by a team that is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorites . However, am I the only one who is much more concerned about Gerald's injury than excited or thrilled about the win?. I mean, it seems to me that he has really reduced his effectiveness the last few games since the injury. We will not have the season we have come to expect if he does not heal and improve his performance soon.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I am genuinely concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by jlear View Post
    Loved seeing Z make a difference on the defensive end for a few minutes and props to Lance for his continued improvement on both ends. I think these guys will be very important in March and April.

Great job by the crazies tonight!

Why is Gary Williams allowed out of the coaching box while screaming at the refs? He showed them up big time.
    Great post!!!! I wondered too. I don't like coaches on the floor, especially when they strike poses like Gary and Roy have done in successive games, getting down in defensive stances and screaming. This is a competition among college students. Coaches have their proper role.

Whatever it is, it should be done off the court. T em up, I say, if they step one foot on it. If they want to cheer lead; let em put on a skirt; if they want to play; their times have past. If they want to coach, let them behave like it. "End of discussion."

I thought it great to see Z on the court and thought he comported himself well. One thing I saw relative to Z that I really did not like. Z had made a decent play on the defensive end, Nelson had the ball, just caught it on the left wing as Z arrived down the court, set up in the middle with excellent position two feet from the rim and made himself low and available.

If there is a play that should be made and isn't, it hurts the team. The play that should have been made without thinking was for Nelson to relay the ball to Z low, let Z reach down to make a catch one-handed, an athletic play, and beat his guy. Z was in rhythm and it was a play waiting to happen.

A team will not reach its potential unless plays like that are made, and players are given the chance to succeed. Not Nelson's strength but he needs to show that ability sooner or later. I hope it is sooner. Way to go Z!!!