While I much prefer beer to wine, I feel the Ymm beer thread has pretty much covered it all and therefor I have no reason to post. I am aware that this thread might not carry the same standing with you guys as the Ymm beer thread, however, I feel it necessary to post because of my 'beer break.'

Thats right, I've stopped drinking beer for a few months and switched to wine. I would have switched to liquor but I don't want to become a full blown alcoholic. Plus, "Ymm, Hard Liquor" probably wouldn't go over well with the mods.

I have two questions:
1) The reason for my beer break is the fact that I'm about 20lbs over weight. I quit smoking a month ago which hasn't help the weight issue at all. I dont drink as much wine as I do beer so hopefully I wont get all the calories. Am I right, or does it not matter what you drink, alcohol is fattening regardless?

2) The main point of this thread. No matter what answers I get from question 1 I'm probably still gonna drink wine. So, whats good? Lately, I've been drinking Ghost Pines Merlot, Yellowtail (all varieties), and others that have cool looking bottles. I know nothing about wine (obviously) so I open the floor to you guys for suggestions.