Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ymm, Wine

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Anyone had a 2010 Pontet-Canet?
    Considering a purchase for a special event.
    Only Pontet-Canet I've had was the '96 at a tasting quite a number of years ago. The whole wine-making operation has been changed at this estate since back then. The scores sure look good, but I'm afraid I can't offer anything directly on the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Only Pontet-Canet I've had was the '96 at a tasting quite a number of years ago. The whole wine-making operation has been changed at this estate since back then. The scores sure look good, but I'm afraid I can't offer anything directly on the taste.
    Your sample size of one beats my zero.

Something you enjoyed enough to consider a splurge purchase/extravagant gift?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Your sample size of one beats my zero.

Something you enjoyed enough to consider a splurge purchase/extravagant gift?
    Again, the entire wine-making operation at the estate has been revamped since 1996. In 2005, they completely changed how they select grapes, how they age them, and who is in charge of the process. So my personal taste experience is probably not truly applicable.

However, I would say that 2009 Pontet-Canet is probably about as close to a "can't miss" bottle of Bordeaux as you can get. Among major reviewers and on Cellar Tracker there is pretty much universal agreement that the 2010 vintage is one of the best the estate has ever made and rivals (or exceeds) the first-growths that year. Assuming the provenance is good on the bottle you're buying, it's probably a dynamite wine. Ten years from vintage, give it an hour or two in a decanter, and you'll probably have a great experience.

Another shot in the dark- anyone had a 2010 Chateau D’Issan?