Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Wine

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Some things get better with age.
    Key words: some things...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Key words: some things...

Like both of us, clearly.

A judge once told me that people don’t change with age — they just become more like themselves. Smart man.

Lovely wife came home from Trader Joe's yesterday with an $18 bottle of Amarone...seemed to be too good to be true, and it was. Not good at all....TJ has many fine bargains, this isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Lovely wife came home from Trader Joe's yesterday with an $18 bottle of Amarone...seemed to be too good to be true, and it was. Not good at all...TJ has many fine bargains, this isn't one of them.
    I once saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's.

And his hair was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Lovely wife came home from Trader Joe's yesterday with an $18 bottle of Amarone...seemed to be too good to be true, and it was. Not good at all...TJ has many fine bargains, this isn't one of them.
    $18 Amarone 😱😱😱😱😱😱

I’ll give you points for bravery for trying.

I’m not sure I’ve seen too many Valipocella at that price point, much less an Amarone.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    $18 Amarone 😱😱😱😱😱😱

I’m not sure I’ve seen too many Valipocella at that price point, much less an Amarone.
    we hadn't either, she thought it was worth a try...had a genuine Amarone with a prime rib a week or so ago, very enjoyable...

Thanksgiving plans...

La Marca Prosecco
    Four Graces Pinot Noir

There may be an appearance of a new to us white, coin toss between an inexpensive French or Italian blend.

Thanksgiving plans...

La Marca Prosecco
    Four Graces Pinot Noir

There may be an appearance of a new to us white, coin toss between an inexpensive French or Italian blend.
    2013 Sanford Pinot Noir (from the Sanford & Benedict vineyard in the Santa Rita Hills), and a Blanc de Blanc is the plan here.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

DuMol 2016 Wester Reach Russian River Valley Chardonnay
    DuMol 2013 or 2014 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

DuMol Thanksgiving has been a tradition of mine for years now. Time to pull out the big guns.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    DuMol 2016 Wester Reach Russian River Valley Chardonnay
    DuMol 2013 or 2014 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

DuMol Thanksgiving has been a tradition of mine for years now. Time to pull out the big guns.
    A vintner I was not familiar with, in a price range I don’t usually allow myself to play in.

The 2013 Pinot was a Robert Parker 95 point wine and the Chardonnay also highly regarded in a review I found.

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    2013 Sanford Pinot Noir (from the Sanford & Benedict vineyard in the Santa Rita Hills), and a Blanc de Blanc is the plan here.
    I’d never heard of Sanford. Some really nice reviews online.

I tend to enjoy pinot focused bubbly; there are some really nice blanc de blancs out there.

A vintner I was not familiar with, in a price range I don’t usually allow myself to play in.

The 2013 Pinot was a Robert Parker 95 point wine and the Chardonnay also highly regarded in a review I found.

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving!
    It’s a Thanksgiving-only thing. Forgot how I came across DuMol but bought some directly and stuck the reds in the bottom of the wine cooler a few years ago.

I’d never heard of Sanford. Some really nice reviews online.

I tend to enjoy pinot focused bubbly; there are some really nice blanc de blancs out there.
    Sanford is part of the Terlato Wine Group, whose current General Counsel is a Dukie. So he sends me an occasional “friends & family” promo code. The bottles I have had of their Pinot Noir have been really good.

$18 Amarone 😱😱😱😱😱😱

You can get a pretty good Ripasso for that price. Its been a while, I can't be more specific. Valipolicella can be under 10 (deservedly).

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    You can get a pretty good Ripasso for that price. Its been a while, I can't be more specific. Valipolicella can be under 10 (deservedly).
    definitely...just off the top of my head, there's a Zenato I believe that is highly drinkable in that price range, I get that fairly often.

https://openingabottle.com/so-awesom...riore-ripasso/

^there ya go!

Doing a long distance wine advent calendar tasting with family.

Day 1, a surprisingly nice 2018 Alambrado Malbec.

Lots of cherry and a mild tannic finish.

Not generally a Malbec fan; this is very drinkable.

Doing a long distance wine advent calendar tasting with family.

Day 1, a surprisingly nice 2018 Alambrado Malbec.

Lots of cherry and a mild tannic finish.

Not generally a Malbec fan; this is very drinkable.
    Wine advent calendar sounds awesome. We just had a very good 2015 Tempranillo called Temp-Ri-Anza. Tasty pizza wine.

Went to friends for Thanksgiving. Lots of flavorful food -- needs young and spritely wines. Took Nicolas Feuillatte champagne (NV), 2016 Clos Pegase pinot noir Carneros Mitsuko's vineyard, and 2015 Guigal Cotes du Rhone. I was impressed with the pinot, which was from a new case. Smoky, fruity (red fruit) with some nice tannins. The others are old favorites of the Sage Grouse household.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Wine advent calendar sounds awesome. We just had a very good 2015 Tempranillo called Temp-Ri-Anza. Tasty pizza wine.
    We sent my parents a wine advent calendar last year, and they really enjoyed it. We thought we’d double the fun this year by doing it together. Good excuse to trade notes over facetime.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Went to friends for Thanksgiving. Lots of flavorful food -- needs young and spritely wines. Took Nicolas Feuillatte champagne (NV), 2016 Clos Pegase pinot noir Carneros Mitsuko's vineyard, and 2015 Guigal Cotes du Rhone. I was impressed with the pinot, which was from a new case. Smoky, fruity (red fruit) with some nice tannins. The others are old favorites of the Sage Grouse household.
    The champagne I was introduced to a couple years ago is Gimmonet Et Fils. The brut rose is amazing and imo competes with champagnes at least twice the price.

Well worth it if you can find it.