Exclamation I apologize if this Costas interview is old ...

but here is a link to a piece of that interview.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/categories...262317?index=0

Did anyone see 'Costas Now' with K interview?

The episode was largely devoted to exploring the not-so-publicized student part of the term "student-athlete". They interviewed a guy from Texas A&M (sorry, can't remember his name) who said that he felt he had gotten more of an education in High School than he did in college. He pretty much said that expectaions for athletes were very low at A&M and that he had been directed to specific classes - one of them (and I'm NOT making this up) was called "Floral Arranging". They also interviewed a judge who used to be a prof at the "U" who said that he'd felt pressured to pass some of his football player students who really didn't deserve it. Costas also talked to Donna (stick my head in the sand) Shalala about the judges' claims and, big surprise, she denied it and said that he, "didn't know what he's talking about." Hmmm...I wonder Donna, were you in his classroom; did you see the alleged instances of cheating he mentioned? There was also mention of a star wideout for Miami who had gotten caught cheating by this same prof and was sent before the school's judiciary committe (or whatever the U calls it). At first, he was suspended from school for 2 semesters, but later, had that sentence reduced so that all he missed was a summer session. Shalala claimed it had nothing to do with the fact that he was a great player. Ummmm...ok.

Next, they had a segment with a panel including the lovely Sally Jenkins from the WP, Reggie Miller and pres of the NCAA, Myles Brand. Brand, like Shalala, came off as pretty unbelieveable, IMHO. Costas' show was really focused on the two big revenue producing sports (Bball and Fball) and Brand started out with some crap about graduation rates for student athletes in the NCAA were actually higher than the general student population. To his credit, Costas called him out his BS and brought the focus back onto the big revenue sports. As an aside, does Brand remind anyone else of Woody Allen? He came across as a bit slimy and disengenuous to me for some reason. No wonder RMK and he didn't get along.

Of course, my favorite piece was when they interviewed K. Costas asked him about a wide range of stuff (including the LAX scandal). They even explored some of the hating that's been going on. Wisely, Coach said that he just doesn't pay attention to any of that stuff. Good advice for us all, I think. Great interview with his daughter too. I really do with all the K haters would at least watch an interview like that. But why do that when blindly hating is so much easier! Anyway...very interesting show. Can't say I was all that surprised to hear about the sorry education that many kids are getting, but there were definitely some eye-openers. Hopefully, the show will at least bring the subject out in the spotlight a bit more. It runs again throughout the week so check it out if you didn't get a chance tonight.

Watch this interview. Remember who Duke has, and no one else does.

I watched this interview tonight. K reaffirmed my belief in him and his system. Maybe I'm drinking a bit of Kool-Aid, but this guy really is something special, and that's easy to lose sight of sometimes with the jealousy and bile thrown in his direction. I don't agree with every substitution or every recruiting choice. But Duke Basketball is going to be just fine. The haters would watch this and not see K's perspective-or why he's held in the regard he is.

I'm not a Duke grad, but I've followed the program since I was 8 and remain a believer. No matter what happens this weekend, I'll remain one. It was good to remember why. Great piece with stuff from 86, the Back to Back teams, and the nearly forgotten 01 team. Also a really good bit regarding Hurley and K-but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it. Hearing K tell it is way better than reading it.

LGD.

dukemsu
    Last edited by dukemsu; 03-14-2007 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Removed quote

I hope it airs this weekend I am in an Extended Stays that doesn't get HBO.Thanks for the summary.

ya ya

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    They interviewed a guy from Texas A&M (sorry, can't remember his name) who said that he felt he had gotten more of an education in High School than he did in college.
    I guess he doesn't know that's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I hope it airs this weekend I am in an Extended Stays that doesn't get HBO.Thanks for the summary.
    Is this show only on HBO ???
    The Gordog

Yes, it's an HBO show..

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Is this show only on HBO ???

It might be available online, not sure. Also, if you have HBO on Demand, you can watch it anytime.

Did anyone catch the K interview on HBO?

He made some pretty interesting comments to Bob Costas. Also, here is a link to info on the show and a video of K in Buffalo that features, Paulus and Nelson commenting on tonights game.

Blue Devil Nation