Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idol comments

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I can not believe how much Idol I watch. And it is a waste of time.

If I were advising Haley I would have two words for her - "short skirts"
    I hope she stays.

Chris S should go. Sanjaya should go. Bottom 3 Haley/Chris S/Sanjaya

SoiCal
    I was a Sligh fan... a long time ago. He has really slipped in my mind and I now see his vocal range as extremely limited. I agree that his time has almost come.

I think Sanjaya is trying to get voted off at this point. He knows he will never have a career in singing so he is trying to be as wild and over-the-top as he can while still remaining lovable. I am telling you, in a few years he could be one of those "why are they famous?" people who show up on reality TV and make appearances and just seem to carve out a career out of being who they are.

Haley was the one a few weeks ago who Simon said, "I don't even remember your name" to, right? Cause every time she performs I find myself going, "wait, who is she again?" I think she could be in real trouble.

I have decided that I hate Chris Richardson. I do not know why but he seems have the exact same facial expressions and vocal patterns in every single performance. It is not that I do not like him, but I am sick of him. I think he is very safe this week though. Being in the bottom 2 last week will scare his fans and they probably went ga-ga voting for him this week.

I thought Gina hit a homerun and Phil Stacey also did well-- good song choices for each of them. They picked songs that are memorable but did not require them to get out of their comfort zones. Smart!

Blake was just so-so, for him. I think everyone agrees with the judges that he is the best male in the competition-- and it ain't even close.

Ok, prediciton time--
    DialIdol says Sanjay is safe again this week. Grrrrrr.
    DialIdol also says Jordin, Haley, and Chris S are at the bottom, but it says Blake, Phil, and Gina could be in the bottom 3 cause the voting is still pretty close.
    I will go with Chris S and Haley in the bottom, for sure. And I'll say that Sanjaya joins them. I think his hair may have scared off just enough of those teenaged girls that he gets in the bottom this week. I am not sure which of those 3 get voted off but I won't be sorry to see any of them go.

-Jason

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Snafu

I've gotten fairly good at guessing who goes but this week, due to a taping snafu, I only got to see the recaps and I didn't hear the judges comments.

(I know, Tivo, don't have it.)

I think Sanjaya's hair was a hoot. I think this guy gets it. I think he knows he's only there because of teenage girls and Howard Stern and his hair. I'm convinced that 'do was a vote for me just to see what I come up with next week gesture. And quite honestly? I do want to see what he comes up with next week. Love him or hate him, he's not boring. Hey, he's like Duke!

So, with no real confidence, I'm going to guess it's Phil this week. Haley's the best looking female around, she may outlast some better singers on looks alone. Gina could be in trouble but she too looked great last night. Lakisha in the clip looked less than enthusiastic, one more week of going through the motions, great voice or no, she could be in trouble.

I think Chris S. is showing not only a lack of performance skill but also an inability to connect with the audience. It was his humor that gave him great likability but he doesn't have a fun personna on stage - even his attempt to work through the audience last week was lacking. It is disappointing.

I STILL don't get it with Chris R. -- there is nothing there for me. I could see him going this week.

I thought Blake was better than just so-so this week because again - he put a unique take on a classic song and made his performance interesting and re-watchable. Compare that with Phil who I thought sang his best performance this week and thought (not to sound like Randy) that was a perfect song for him. But he lacked originality.

I was happy to see Gina do so well because I like her and I can see how much she wants it (as opposed to Phil, Chris S. and Chris R. who sometimes seem to be going through the emotions).

I think I like Haley a lot more than anyone else. I realize she is not setting herself apart that much and understand how some people find her forgettable, but she does have a great look and I think she sings better than people give her credit for - I mean, how much difference is there between her singing ability and McPhee's? (to me, not a lot)

I really enjoyed Jordin's performance - for me it was definitely the best combination of vocal performance and entertainment and still would love to see her and Blake as the final two.

Which leaves Lakisha and Melinda. I thought Lakisha and Melinda sang great this week - but I had no interest in rewatching their performances. I realized that part of the problem I have with Melinda is her stage presence and movements. I don't like the head jerk/head nod thing she does and she still performs with that hunched over stance that unfortunately gives her a troll-like look. I know it's a singing competition but if the judges are going to make comments on outfits, then obviously stage presence, charisma, and overall appearance count for something.

(As Simon said - what's the point even discussing Sanjaya? Other than the fact that I think it's starting to become distraction for the show and producers because he is so bad that it's treading on farcical at this point.)

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I thought Blake was better than just so-so this week because again - he put a unique take on a classic song and made his performance interesting and re-watchable.
    He virtually performed the 311 rendition of the song, which means it wasn't original at all. I'm curious if they will have another "Chris Daughtry" style apology for not giving credit to the true songwriter.

That being said, I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't original.

Thanks for pointing that out ...

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    He virtually performed the 311 rendition of the song, which means it wasn't original at all. I'm curious if they will have another "Chris Daughtry" style apology for not giving credit to the true songwriter.

That being said, I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't original.

Didn't he say during one after-performance interview that 311 is one of his favorite artists? That definitely dilutes it for me but since I have never seen/heard the 311 version, it was still unique and re-watchable for me (even if not original).

Didn't he say during one after-performance interview that 311 is one of his favorite artists? That definitely dilutes it for me but since I have never seen/heard the 311 version, it was still unique and re-watchable for me (even if not original).
    Not sure, but it is the second time he has performed a 311 song, as he did in one of the first couple weeks.

(As Simon said - what's the point even discussing Sanjaya? Other than the fact that I think it's starting to become distraction for the show and producers because he is so bad that it's treading on farcical at this point.)
    Intersting article here from USAToday speculating that the longer Sanjaya sticks around, the worse it is for American Idol. Some in the article even specualte that if he somehow won, it would kill the Idol phenomenon.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ya-cover_N.htm

-Jason "I am thiking I want him to stick around because it is a more fun show with an 'enemy' to root against" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-28-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Typo fix

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Some in the article even specualte that if he somehow won, it would kill the Idol phenomenon.
    This is precisely why I keep voting for him.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-28-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: fixed typo in Jason's quoted post

I can see myself skipping Idol altogether once Sanjaya is voted off. I'm not enthusiastic about any of them, but at least the Sanjaya phenomenon is interesting. I want to see just how awful he can be.

Of the "legitimate" contestants, I hope that Jordin does well. She's likeable, but not so much that I'd tune in just to see her perform or bother to vote for her.

Sanjaya

Chris S went last night. While I have no problem with him leaving, Sanjaya did not make the bottom 3!

Sanjaya never should have made it to Hollywood.

I think I will start recording the shows and just watching my favorites.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I think I will start recording the shows and just watching my favorites.
    Dude, this is mandatory!! Watching Idol live?!?!? Oh the horror!!!!

I am eager to see what-- if anything-- Sanjaya can come up with to top this past week. Will he shave his head bald? Will he color his hair orange? What can he do to top the Ponyhawk?

He actually needs to be in the bottom 3 to worry his fan base into voting for him. If they think he is even a little bit safe then he could be toast!

-Jason "Haley is going to have to really step it up to survive the next week or two-- she and Phil are in big trouble" Evans

Well.....

I am officially over it. Aside from the Sanjaya circus (that I am sick of) there are no contestants left that I even remotely care about. Chris S was the last one that I was pulling for. The contestants are just not as good as the past couple of years and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the songs that they are singing. Guess I will just go to bed early from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I am officially over it. Aside from the Sanjaya circus (that I am sick of) there are no contestants left that I even remotely care about. Chris S was the last one that I was pulling for. The contestants are just not as good as the past couple of years and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the songs that they are singing. Guess I will just go to bed early from now on.
    I'm getting more over it, and wondering whether the producers will just kick Sanjaya off no matter how many votes he gets. I don't care to see what he comes up with next, I just think he's an awful performer. That's another reason why I don't see him succeeding as a reality star, as I don't think that he has all that much personality. Most of those people are real attention-seekers, which I don't know that Sanjaya is at heart. He just seems to bland.

You have to watch it recorded, so that you can skip over the idiotic comments etc, and I've skipped through more than one of Haley's incredibly boring performances. I think they should just crown Melinda as the best singer and move on.