Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Catching up with Bob Verga (aka Doug Hinds and the Rubber Chicken)

It's good to catch up with one of the "best ever." I wonder how many points he would have scored if he'd had FOUR years and a 3-POINT LINE? Great guy, accomplished tennis player/coach....Wonder if he still drives Corvettes?

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...302/SPORTS0120

nice find!

Fun article. Looked close at Bob and he has changed little. All he needs is the ball behind the head...

My childhood hero! Never could quite get the hang of that stylish jumpshot, though.

Verga WAS quite a player!

Great article - and I agree the picture is a classic!

Verga would probably have made/kept all kinds of Duke scoring records with the three-point shot and freshman eligibility in effect.

And he did have one weird looking, but effective, jump shot!

k

Wonder if he is still a pool hustler? Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    It's good to catch up with one of the "best ever." I wonder how many points he would have scored if he'd had FOUR years and a 3-POINT LINE? Great guy, accomplished tennis player/coach....Wonder if he still drives Corvettes?

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...302/SPORTS0120

After the Jeff Mullins Art Heyman's graduated, Bob Verga was THE MAN.. a team that had Mike Lewis, and Jack Marin, it was Verga who was a little boys hero,, There was a great story on him in '66 in Sports Illustrated. "The lonely hours of a star "

Question Bob Verga - Why isn't his jersey retired

Verga was definitely one of the greats of Duke Bball history (and not a bad pool player). Based upon his stats, it appears his jersey should be in the rafters at Cameron. Anyone know why it isn't? If he had been healthy during the final four, there probably would be one more NCAA Championship banner for 1966 - and Texas Western would not have had the chance to make history.

Verga

My favorite player of all time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get any videoes on him.

I continue to say that Bob Verga is the most overlooked star that Duke has had. As a kid he was my favorite Duke player. You can only speculate as to what his scoring avg. would have been with a 3 point line but the year he averaged 26.1 I would think you would have to be talking in the neighborhood of over 30 points per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    After the Jeff Mullins Art Heyman's graduated, Bob Verga was THE MAN.. a team that had Mike Lewis, and Jack Marin, it was Verga who was a little boys hero,, There was a great story on him in '66 in Sports Illustrated. "The lonely hours of a star "

Great memory, Rogue!

And thanks to the new SI Vault, here it is....Bob Verga, the arm wrestling KA, studying Latin and Russian literature while frugging at Jelly Roll's. http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...7978/index.htm

I love it.

Darn, that link to the Asbury Park paper has died.

Wink Background cheerleaders

Note Jeri Reuter in the front of the line of cheerleaders behind Verga. Boy, those were the days..........

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    If it's the same story I'm recalling it ran in the SI college hoops preview in late '65, and he appeared anything but lonely. Pictures of him strolling around a beautiful campus with a beautiful blonde girlfriend (home town honey, I believe) was what sealed the deal with me and Duke. Never thought about going to another school after that.

Sport magazine did an article in his senior year. Still looking for any videoes of him. Will pay whatever it takes

I had read somewhere that his frequent forays to some nite club in Durham didn't win him over with Bubas.

Also, Eddie Cameron was of the mind that only Dick Groat's jersey should've been retired. That's why so many jersey retirements started so late.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    If it's the same story I'm recalling it ran in the SI college hoops preview in late '65, and he appeared anything but lonely. Pictures of him strolling around a beautiful campus with a beautiful blonde girlfriend (home town honey, I believe) was what sealed the deal with me and Duke. Never thought about going to another school after that.
    They mention in that article that he was dating Andrea Boles, a hometown girl who became a model in NY. It's got to be the same girl.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    I had read somewhere that his frequent forays to some nite club in Durham didn't win him over with Bubas.

Also, Eddie Cameron was of the mind that only Dick Groat's jersey should've been retired. That's why so many jersey retirements started so late.
    The night club you're referring to was the Stallion Club.

stallion club

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    The Stallion Club way out on Cornwallis Road is the real-life equivilent to the Dexter Lake nightclub in Animal House. It was basically a black nightclub at a time when integration was barely getting started in Durham.

Verga, quite naturally, stood out when he visited. Maybe because of his celebrity status or maybe just because of his personality, he never had any problems.

I do remember stories about his clashes with Bubas over his late nights, but interesting that he dodged the biggest party-problem of his era. One of the frats held a New Year's Eve party during the 1966-67 season that ran deep into the early hours of Jan. 1. When Bubas found out, he suspended all the players involved -- four starters: Mike Lewis, Bob Reidy, Ron Wendelin, Tim Kolodziej, plus several top subs. Verga was not at the party -- whispers at the time were that he was at the Stallion Club instead -- and he was not suspended.

On Jan. 3, Duke played Penn State in Cameron with a lineup that included Verga, sophomore Steve Vandenberg (later a starter, but a guy who averaged 3.7 points that year), C.B. Claiborne (1.6 ppg.) and Fred Lind (he scored 11 points all season! He would find fame at the end of the next season). I can't recall who the fifth starter was, but it was also a scrub. There were only seven players dressed out and one of those was a kid (Francis) who had played freshman ball the year before, but never played in another varsity game.

Well, Duke won the game 89-84 as Verga scored 38 points.

I agree that Verga is the biggest injustice when it comes to retired jersies. His numbers and his honors won are almost exactly the same as Jeff Mullins. To Verga's advantage, he was consensus first-team All-American in 1967. Mullins was never better than concensus second-team. Mullins did win the 1964 ACC player of the year award, an honor Verga never won -- although he should have won it in 1966 (it went to teammate Steve Vacendak instead after Vacendak, a second-team All-ACC pick, had a great ACC tourney).

I know we're kind of running out of jersey numbers to retire ... but Verga was No. 11, which is already retired for Bobby Hurley. If the Yankees can retire No. 8 in honor of Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra, can't Duke make No. 11 for Hurley and Verga?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Affectionately known by those of us who frequented the club--which was unquestionably the best place in the area for listening to soul music and learning the latest dances--as "The Stable"...