I seem to remember a couple of years ago, when TiVo had the market cornered, that the future held some changes for the market.

For example, advertisers were concerned that live TV would be a thing of the past in most homes (like mine). Most people obviously skip through the commercials to watch the show that is recorded. I seem to remember talk of advertisers combating this with something like a banner advertisement that could only be seen while in FF mode. I guess it would be like the old subliminal messages from years ago in movies for popcorn and a Coke. That way a 30 second Coke commercial would play as normal in play mode, but in fast forward it would simply say "Drink Coke" on the screen for the 3 or 4 seconds it takes to scan through.

I have not seen this yet, but it did seem like some groups were fighting this for some reason or another. Just curious.

Anyway, the other question would be when are they going to get smart enough to have a record feature during commercials? A year or so ago, TiVo added a feature on it's system, where on very few commercials for a particular show you were prompted to push the "thumbs up" button during the commercial and it would automatically record the show that was being advertised.

It would seem that the cable DVR's could do this easier since they have their own guides. I was just thinking it would be really cool if you were watching live TV and saw a commercial for say "The Unit" you could hit a button and it would record the show advertised.

Anyone have any new news on any of this?