Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    What do you mean, his minutes now? Smith is getting at least 20 minutes a game in ACC play. That's more than enough to get him ready for March, and a number that will continue to rise as Smith shows that he's ready for this level.

It really is amazing. For years - years! - people complained about not playing the bench. Now Duke has a deep team, and people are complaining about the time-sharing arrangements. Unbelievable.
    Agreed Duvall.

I love the way we're bringing guys in and out, and allowing Nolan to assist with the PG duties... including sometimes having both him and GP in at the same time.

Do people who want Nolan to start at PG want GP to become a role-player?

All I know is that when it comes down to crunch time, I want Greg handling the ball down the stretch of close games.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Clearly Smith is rapidly improving- but Freshman should not play that much or they can hit a wall. I expect both will play and continue to contribute. Paulus is a smart guy- he knows his limitations and having Smith come in and not letting him have to play all game is helping him to be fresher at the end. In the last few games, Paulus has played very well in the closing minutes.
    Ya Carmello Anthony really hit the wall when it mattered most. And Kyle's hitting the wall too right? You can make some decent arguments for Greg starting, but a freshman hitting the wall is not one of them.

I posted this in the Post-Game thread.

Smith had 21 minutes and Paulus had 20 minutes. Does it really matter who starts when Smith is getting his fair share of minutes??

I think this is a better discussion for next year. Right now I love it the way it is. Next year though(when Smith has the experience under his belt and the off-season to improve).. Then its a discussion worthy of DBR

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHoopsGuru View Post
    It really is amazing. For years - years! - people complained about not playing the bench. Now Duke has a deep team, and people are complaining about the time-sharing arrangements. Unbelievable.
    Why can't Duke's bench still work w/ Paulus being the one coming off the bench? People, I'd take a Greg Paulus any day, but he has athletic limitations. Just think back to VCU and Eric Maynor. Greg shot greg, but the fact remains Duke had to have John Scheyer guarding him on the most crucial play of the game. Smith, Nelson, and Henderson gives Duke arguably its most athletic 1, 2, and 3 in a long long time under K.......maybe ever.[/quote]

That post made no sense. "Greg shot Greg?" Huh? Who is "John" Scheyer? What's wrong with his guarding Maynor? He's an oustatanding perimeter defender. Duke's had plenty of deep teams before. Duke's had plenty of athletic perimeter trios before. Methinks you haven't been a Duke fan all that long -- and certainly not a guru.

And why are you even starting this debate tonight? Can't you enjoy a great win? Who cares who starts? As long as K puts both of thos guys in situations to help the team, and Duke keeps winning, who cares how many minutes each guy gets, or who starts?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHoopsGuru View Post
    Ya Carmello Anthony really hit the wall when it mattered most. And Kyle's hitting the wall too right? You can make some decent arguments for Greg starting, but a freshman hitting the wall is not one of them.
    Who is "Carmello" Anthony?

I think Smith is playing better than Greg right now, but I'm totally comfortable with the way K's lineups are working - *exactly* because he is playing the bench. And who's to say that Greg won't be playing better than Smith again soon? A week ago, I thought Scheyer was all-world; tonight he looked slow and unworthy of being on the floor. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    Nolan gets more experience now in ACC play - has a higher ceiling - is improving more and more with every game - ie. the more he plays - the better he'll get - the farther Duke will go in March.
    Remember what happened last time we went into March with a freshman starting point guard?

First, yes, we are lucky to have two extremely talented players to handle the PG duties. We are also fortunate that we have four other players (Singler, Henderson, Nelson, Scheyer) who are comfortable handling the ball.

BUT, I believe strongly, and have since the ACC season started, that we are a better team offensively and defensively with Smith on the court. I think he is currently a better drive/draw/dish passer, penetrator, finisher and defender than Greg. That's my opinion based on the games since 2008 started. I see Smith getting better and better each game. I thought he was outstanding tonight - even better than against VT.

What we have lacked for the past few seasons is a PG who can create offense by breaking down a defense and Nolan can do that.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    And why are you even starting this debate tonight? Can't you enjoy a great win? Who cares who starts? As long as K puts both of thos guys in situations to help the team, and Duke keeps winning, who cares how many minutes each guy gets, or who starts?
    Tonight's the perfect night to debate it. After a game when Duke makes runs b/c Nolan Smith is the point guard. He gets hurt, Greg comes in and commits a turnover. Greg had 1 good play tonight in 20 minutes....a 3 pointer.

People get so defensive with this issue, and it's comical. Sometimes you're so involved you can't see the forest through the trees. So just ask other people who watch and are knowledgeable on college basketball. Ask them about Greg. You'll get this. "Great shooter, gutsy, too slow. Not an top tier college point guard."

Both

Most teams wouldn't view it as a problem to have 2 McDonalds all american PGs...
    Do you think any other team in the ACC wouldn't mind having Paulus or Nolan added to their roster. They bring different strengths and weaknesses, complement each other perfectly, and provide insurance against injury or having a bad game.

We would have been in serious trouble tonight if when Nolan went down (was it cramps?) we didn't have an experienced PG (Paulus) to come in. We would have been in trouble when Greg got in foul trouble if we didn't have a future-star PG to bring off the bench.

Let Greg start as the upperclassman and the leader unless Nolan completely blows him away (which he hasn't if you look at the numbers, he may be flashier but the numbers tend to say they're at worst equally effective), but then go by matchups and by who's playing well. Its pretty simple and aa really good thing for Duke

Nolan= 2001 Duhon

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    I posted this in the Post-Game thread.

Smith had 21 minutes and Paulus had 20 minutes. Does it really matter who starts when Smith is getting his fair share of minutes??

I think this is a better discussion for next year. Right now I love it the way it is. Next year though(when Smith has the experience under his belt and the off-season to improve).. Then its a discussion worthy of DBR
    its plenty worthy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    BUT, I believe strongly, and have since the ACC season started, that we are a better team offensively and defensively with Smith on the court. I think he is currently a better drive/draw/dish passer, penetrator, finisher and defender than Greg. That's my opinion based on the games since 2008 started. I see Smith getting better and better each game. I thought he was outstanding tonight - even better than against VT.

What we have lacked for the past few seasons is a PG who can create offense by breaking down a defense and Nolan can do that.
    Thank you.

I think the point that the original poster was trying to make was not just how nolan did, but how the team did with Nolan in. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I would bet the point differential would be higher with Nolan in the game.

I am in a dilemma right now personally. I have loved Greg ever since he got to Durham. But while Greg makes some spectacular plays in big moments, he also makes very very frustrating ones in big moments as well. And I know everyone loves Greg's shooting, but Nolan's aint too bad either.

This is a GOOD problem to have, and I think K will make the right decision. Whatever that decision may be.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    Let Greg start as the upperclassman and the leader unless Nolan completely blows him away (which he hasn't if you look at the numbers, he may be flashier but the numbers tend to say they're at worst equally effective), but then go by matchups and by who's playing well. Its pretty simple and aa really good thing for Duke
    You can't look at the numbers. Nolan was learning how to play a position he never played before. Just look at the last 5 games, and I'm not talking from a #s point of view. Just watch the games.

Easy...Greg Smith...

...or maybe Nolan Paulus?

We are very fortunate to have both.

What happened to Nolan to have him go OUT!!?

I watched in horror as Nolan seemed to be in some great pain; does anyone know what happened to him!?? He played so well tonight and I'm going to start his fan club for Duke. Why did he have to go out?

thanks,

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Remember what happened last time we went into March with a freshman starting point guard?
    um... wasn't that point guard Paulus... Paulus and Smith are two completely different players. Smith played at Oak Hill. Don't forget that. Do you know who he played against every day in practice? Can any point guard do anything (freshmen or not) when your best player shoots 3-17 (didn't look that up but I believe JJ shot close to that)?

Both.

I like Gregs toughness and Nolan's athleticism, its a luxury we didn't have last year. I would like to see Greg tighten up a bit on some of the mistakes he is still making as a junior, Nolan needs to be a little more consistent on offense, both have made improvements and still need to improve in other areas. I say you start whoever based on matchup