Speaking of Disney

So...with Jason Evans on a Disney trip, I thought it might be a good time to ask some advice.

The last week of March (first of April), I'm taking my three kids to Disney as well (aged 9,7 and 4 1/2). So I have lots of questions. Will put them in no particular order:

1) Where to stay. We are leaning towards the Wilderness Lodge. Anyone ever stay there? Any other places you would recommend more - for little kids?

2) Which parks are worth it? Animal Kingdom seems OK, but more like a trip to the zoo, and Everest looks far too scary for my younger kids. Obviously Magic Kingdom and Epcot are locks. Is MGM/Grand worth it?

3) Is Blizzard Beach worth a day?

4) What are the best firework shows to go see (Fantasia, I hear is pretty amazing).

5) Any restaurants that people would recommend?

6) Best rides for kids?

7) Plan to spend one day at Isle of Adventure/Universal. Should we stay at the Hard Rock?

8) Finally, is the multi-park pass worth it? Anyone do one park one morning and another in the afternoon?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    So...with Jason Evans on a Disney trip, I thought it might be a good time to ask some advice.

The last week of March (first of April), I'm taking my three kids to Disney as well (aged 9,7 and 4 1/2). So I have lots of questions. Will put them in no particular order:

1) Where to stay. We are leaning towards the Wilderness Lodge. Anyone ever stay there? Any other places you would recommend more - for little kids?

2) Which parks are worth it? Animal Kingdom seems OK, but more like a trip to the zoo, and Everest looks far too scary for my younger kids. Obviously Magic Kingdom and Epcot are locks. Is MGM/Grand worth it?

4) What are the best firework shows to go see (Fantasia, I hear is pretty amazing).

6) Best rides for kids?

7) Plan to spend one day at Isle of Adventure/Universal. Should we stay at the Hard Rock?

8) Finally, is the multi-park pass worth it? Anyone do one park one morning and another in the afternoon?

Thanks!
    I'll only answer the questions I know anything about, but I'm a Disney fanatic. My opinions are passionate, indeed.

2) I love MGM, but it may or may not be worth it, depending on your kids' age. For instance, if Everest is too scary, then presumably the Tower of Terror and the Aerosmith roller coaster will fall into the same category. Much of the other stuff is more like shows than movies: Muppet*Vision 3D is a great 3-D movie, but do your kids even know who the Muppets are? The backlot tour and the animation studio tour, as well as the cinema history stuff, are top-notch too, but again may skew a bit old for your offspring. The stage shows, like all such Disney productions, are great if that's your thing. The Indiana Jones Stunt Show is the best thing in the park, but I dunno if 4 year-olds dig explosions, etc.

4) I saw Fantasia at Disneyland last summer, but the shows are essentially identical. It's phenomenal. Make it happen, and get the best spot you can. Anywhere along the route on the front row is good. This one (I think will be in the back of the park, where the water is. The show takes place on the water, not in the street.

5) Depends on what you want. Most of the counter-type places in the park are pretty standard fare. The turkey legs in Tomorrow Land are pretty good, and the burgers, etc. in Gepetto's Workshop (in Fantasy Land) aren't bad either. The character breakfast is expensive, but great (I still remember attending on my 4th birthday). Get reservations yesterday if you want to do that.

6) Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, Mickey's Philharmagic (a 3-D movie), Snow White, Buzz Lightyear's something or other (Tomorrow Land...duh).

8) Personally, I don't think so. For a family of 5, Park Hoppers will cost you like $100-125 extra per day. Just tell the kids you're going to a different magical place each day...they'll be fine. All parks are very easily accessible from Disney-owned hotels.

HAVE FUN!

A former Duke mascot is one of the chipmunks roaming the park. He's short. Kudos if you can spot him!

Just to throw this out there...

I went to Disney (when I was 7...I'm now 24.) My parents took me to the Magic Kingdom, Sea World, and Universal. Sea World and visiting the Nickelodeon Studios is the only thing I remember out that trip. (Oh, and the character breakfast, and the Dumbo ride.) Sea World was my favorite and most memorable, hands down.

I saw this thread and knew my girlfriend would be interested. She worked at Disney in the parks for one summer and she currently is employed by them as a college campus representative. She is writing out her responses to all the questions posed and I will post them shortly.

I'm becoming a Disney regular - I've been a dozen or more times, and going back for friends wedding in March (she is marrying the Fire Dancer at the luau.)

I am a huge fan of the Boardwalk Inn - it is literally on top of Epcot, walking distance to MGM, and a great spot for itself - they have a couple of restaurants, and street-walker type entertainment every afternoon and evening. The Dolphin, Swan and Yacht Club are right there and good options as well Certainly stay on Disney property.

Also, check out the Disney villas - Boardwalk, Wilderness club and the Yacht club all have them - they are the Disney time shares, but are open to bookings. For a party your size, you could get a 1 or 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen (cheap breakfast!) for a price that isn't too outlandish.

Animal Kingdom is probably missable, MGM depends on if your kids like the shows.

My recolection is that Blizzard beach is worth 1/2 a day - which may be al the time you have depensing on how much time it takes to wrangle your little ones.

Important infomration: ESPN Zone in Boardwalk for all of your NCAA tourney needs on your trip (possibly the best reason to stay at the Boardwalk)

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'll only answer the questions I know anything about, but I'm a Disney fanatic. My opinions are passionate, indeed.

Sorry, but as resident cynic, I have no desire to visit Walley World. Do I hear an AMEN, colchar?

Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 01-24-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Sorry, but as resident cynic, I have no desire to visit Walley World. Do I hear an AMEN, colchar?

Lavabe
    Cynicism: nothing The Happiest Place in the World can't fix.

Here's the girlfriend's review...LONG ALERT!

1. I've never stayed at Wilderness Loge, but I've heard good things about it. If you are looking to save a little money, it may be worth it to stay at a value resort [ex. Pop Century, All-Star Music, All-Star Movies, All-Star Sports]. They are themed and fun for kids, and a little cheaper than some of the other Disney resorts, but you still get all the perks of being in a Disney resort.

If you fly, take advantage Disney's Magical Express - once you check your baggage at the airport, you won't have to deal with it again until it "magically" shows up in your hotel room, and a shuttle will take YOU from the airport to your hotel. Best of all, it's free.

2. I absolutely think Animal Kingdom is worth it. It is a little zoo-like, but just as "magical" as the other parks. There are really great parades and shows [Be SURE to see Festival of the Lion King at Camp Minnie-Mickey, it is like a miniature Cirque du Soleil], and lots of rides that aren't as overwhelming as Everest [also, plan on spending the whole day in line if you want to ride it...not worth it]. ABSOLUTELY take the Kilamanjaro Safari, and cool off at "A Bugs Life" in the Tree of Life or the Kali River Rapids. There aren't as many rides at the Animal Kingdom as there are at the Magic Kingdom, but even as an adult, you will be impressed by the themes and decorations as you go from India to Africa. By aware though, Animal Kingdom opens and closes earlier than the other parks, and the best time to see the animals [SAFARI!] is in the morning. Other than the Magic Kingdom, the Animal Kingdom is the most entertaining.

On the other hand, I wouldn't waste a day at MGM, especially if you don't get park-hoppers. There are a few good shows, but this is the least "fun" of the parks. MuppetVision3D IS fun, but Mickey's Philharmagic [Magic Kingdom] or A Bug's Life [Animal Kingdom] are much better 3D shows.

3. I worked at Blizzard Beach for one day, but haven't had any other experience with it. When you buy your tickets, talk to the ticket people about add-ons though. I think that you can add a day a waterpark relatively cheaply, even without park hoppers. *Note* If you take this option, and go to a normal park in the morning, you can take a break during the day, go to Blizzard Beach, and still go back to the first park in the evening without a park hopper. Probably a good option for an especially warm day, or if you can do an Extra Magic Hours in the morning and knock out some rides, and then go back for a fireworks show. More on Extra Magic Hours [EMH] later.

4. I'm a little biased about fireworks shows because I worked at the Magic Kingdom, but I absolutely believe that Wishes is the best show in the parks. It is a fireworks show to music, and on a night with good weather, Tinkerbell flies from the top of the Castle across the park ["Tinkerbell" is often a small Asian man ]. If you don't get park hoppers though, try seeing a different fireworks show every night. Plan ahead if you are going to do this though, because being in a park for 8 hours can make for a very very very loooong day. The best "seats" for Wishes are along Mainstreet, so get there early if you want to sit on the curbs, or stand just behind the walkway between Casey's and the ice cream store [someone will block it off just before the show - you can get a clear, straight on view of the fireworks, but you'll have to stand.] Oh and Fantasia is okay...but it's no wishes. MGM has a decent show too.

ALSO, you can see Wishes [really well] without going into the Magic Kingdom, so if you want to save a day on tickets, take the monrail, or bus over to the entrance and stand just outside the gates. You can hear most of the music, and see all of the fireworks for free. You will also be able to beat the ENORMOUS rush of people that will leave after the show. Take a bus directly back to your hotel, the monorail after wishes is a nightmare.

5. I think the best restaurants are in Downtown Disney or at the Boardwalk. Both also have lots to do and fun shopping that don't require a park pass. At Downtown Disney, try taking the boat over to Port Orleans - it leaves about every 15 minutes. Restaurants in both places range from nice to fast food, and the prices are a lot better than in the parks. If you eat at the Magic Kingdom, be SURE to try a DoleWhip in AdventureLand [near the Swiss Family Robinson's Tree House]. Also, try the corn dog bites or hot dogs at Casey's along Main Street, or any of the fudge [free samples!] at the Confectionary on Main Street. Turkey legs [Tomorrowland: right under the TomorrowLand Transit Authority] are also a Disney staple

If you want a character breakfast/lunch/dinner, try the Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom OR Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort. Try to book this early, as they fill up fast. Crystal Palace is a little nicer and is more of the Princesses, while Chef Mickey's is more of the typical costumed characters. Other resorts also offer character meals, so check with you concierge.

Also, if you don't mind driving, there is a lot of food/fun at CityWalk [Universal Studios] that doesn't require a park pass. Very similar to Downtown Disney.

6. I'm most familiar with the Magic Kingdom, but almost EVERYTHING in fantasyland is kid-friendly. Make sure to see Mickey's Philharmagic and ride the classic teacups.

Most of Animal Kingdom and Epcot are also kid friendly. Test Track is fun, and the ride inside of the giant Epcot ball is also kind of cool, and there is never a line. Soarin' is the newest of the Epcot "rides", so there is always an enormous line, but it is interesting - you "fly" over California in a hanglider. It is a short ride for the wait, but pretty kid friendly, except for the height [if you are worried about that, ask to sit in the front, so that you are on the bottom row].

The countries in Epcot are probably the best part, because it doesn't have a lot of rides. Try a snack in every country, or look in the shops [which are air conditioned...]. There are a few short, silly rides in the countries [I know Norway and Mexico have rides] that also usually don't have lines and are definitely kid friendly.

7. I've only been to Islands of Adventure once. It's not my expertise, but it's fun.

8. For the price, I don't think a park hopper pass is worth it. There is plenty to do at each park for a day, especially if you spend 1 day at a water park.

Random Other Tips:
    *Write everyone's names on their tickets! Disney now uses a digital fingerprint to stop people from going into the park and then passing their tickets back to their friends, and the ticket won't let you in if your fingerprint doesn't match the original. Children's tickets don't do the fingerprints, but adult tickets do.
    *Don't store your tickets near anything magnetic or other credit cards. This demagnatizes your tickets, and you will have to have them reprinted. It's a pain for everyone.
    *Take advantage of Disney's Extra Magic Hours. These are special times that the parks are open only for Disney Resort Guests. Don't wait in line for a long time to get EMH wristbands though, there are stations set up all over the parks. And on EMH nights, remember to have everyone bring their room keys, even if your ticket is not on your key anymore.
    *Know that if you are staying in a Disney resort and you buy anything in the park, Guest Services can send it all back to your room for free. Don't lug a bunch of bags back on the monorail/bus.
    *Take the monorail at some point. And ask someone at the station if your family can "drive". They will let you sit in the front with the driver. And go ahead and memorize "por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas" - you'll hear it a lot
    *If you are looking for a down day, go exploring in the other resorts. I especially like the Polynesian, Contemporary & Grand Floridian. They are also all very close together...just a monorail ride away!
    *Don't buy your tickets at a Disney Store in a mall or from some cheap-o internet site or Orlando gas station. Disney Store tickets don't scan in WDW ticket machines, and the others are just scams. Plus Disney ticket people are a lot more knowledgeable about how tickets work.
    *See the parades! The Magic Kingdom has one at 3pm [Share a Dream Come True], and a great one at night [SpectroMagic] just before Wishes. I'm not sure about the other parks, but I've heard that Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at the Animal Kingdom is great.
    *Don't be afraid to ask for ANYTHING. Disney is known for it's customer service, and they are serious about it. If you drop an ice cream cone, they will be more than happy to get you a new one. Or if someone is feeling sick [or you don't want to deal with the busses/monorail at night] stop by Guest Services and someone will drive you home in a van . Almost everyone will bend over backwards to make sure you have a great vacation, so be sure you get what you need.
    *Search for "Hidden Mickeys" - Once you get the hang of it, you'll be shocked at how many mickeys there are everywhere...from carpets in hotels to wallpaper, to shrubs...everywhere. Spotting them is a fun family competiton.
    *Use the Fast Pass Machines. I think you can only have 3 fast passes out at a time per ticket, but it saves a LOT of standing-in-line time.

6) Best rides for kids?

Thanks!
    I go to Disney World about 4 or 5 times a year -- for the last 15 years -- no lie. Here are my answers to your questions:

1) Wilderness Lodge is a Disney premium resort. It is a nice place, and the newest of the premium resorts. While ALL the resorts are built for families, the Polynesian resort is an experience not to be missed by kids -- but maybe in the 8 - 13 range.

For other options, we stay at the Renaissance Sea World ($130 AAA rate right now) or any of the Marriotts (World Center is closest, Ritz-Carlton is the nicest).

Finally, if you own a timeshare anywhere, there is usually a trade available from any of the marriott vacation club properties

2) They're all worth something to everybody. Remember, Disney's mission is to create magic for children of all ages and that's true everywhere. FOR KIDS, though, Magic Kingdom is the standard. MGM would be the next best place, since there are tons of shows for the kids (Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones Stunt, Car Stunt show).

Animal Kingdom is phenomenal for the whole family -- there is a rule though. I don't know how old your kids are -- but I assume they're between 3 and 8. So the secret that most parents don't know is that "It's Tough to Be a Bug (take-off from "Bug's Life") TERRIFIES kids. I have many acquaintances that have blown their whole day in A/K because they STARTED at the movie -- and the kids got scared to do anything the rest of the day.

3) If you like water parks, the Blizzard Beach is worth a day. Plus it's good to do something not at a park.

4) Each fireworks show has its pros and cons -- I, for one, do NOT like Fantasmic, but I don't have kids. the kids love it. The Epcot show grows on you, but MK still has the best pure fireworks show

5) Restaurants -- MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS TOMORROW MORNING - I KID YOU NOT!
    O'Hana's at the Polynesian resort (family style dinner, all-you-can eat, steak, turkey, sausage, shrimp, etc.)
    Beaches and Cream (at the Beach Club) -- 50's style greasy spoon
    Epcot (Chefs de France & what USED to be Alfredo's in Italy)
    We also almost always end up eating at the buffet in Germany, too

6) Couldn't begin to tell you

7) No need to stay at the Hard Rock just to go to Universal. Side advice -- pay the extra $8 for valet parking.

8) Not only is the park hopper option worth it, but consider a 10 day pass with no expiration date. The value of that is directly related to how often you will take your family. A typical day for us is morning at M/K, day at MGM and night in epcot.

Disney

6) Best rides for kids?

Thanks!
    1) Wilderness Lodge would be fine, but with smaller kids you might consider Caribbean Beach Resort. Have a lot of pools and that's a great way to break up the day. Have stayed at both Port Orleans resorts and those are nice. All above are 'moderate' resorts. Didn't much care for the 'value' resort the one year we waited too late in booking a trip there. If money is not an issue, I'd opt for the Grand Floridian, terrific place with some nice restaurants and shops as well.

2) All the parks are worth it. With kids that age, my guess is Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom would be must sees.

3) If you're there an entire week, a trip to one of the water parks is a great way to break things up. Experience I've had though is that kids, particularly younger kids, are just as content spending time at the resort in the pool. Most resorts will have at least one pool with a water slide (small usually). It is also a great way to catch your breath, relax a bit and not have to wait in the long lines.

4) Gotta see the Magic Kingdom Show. Epcot is great too though. Pretty sure you can see Epcot's show from the Caribbean Beach Resort.

5) Epcot: Alfredo's used to be a must but we haven't been in a couple of years and the French place is also good. There's a good Japanese steak house too. Because of the World Showcase, there are a number of possibilities here.
    MGM: Mama Melrose's, Brown Derby is OK. Avoid Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater--truly awful (even by theme park standards) food which is too bad since the interior is pretty cool--designed like an old drive-in theater with snippets of old films playing on a big screen. If you really wanted the experience, try sharing a milk shake or two (those weren't bad).
    Animal Kingdom: Rainforest Cafe; great ice cream truck walking from Dino Land to Asia; just in case, since you're taking 3 young children, there's a McDonald's in Dinoland
    Magic Kingdom: Liberty Tree Tavern has good family style dinner (lunch too I suppose), at some point you'll probably eat the standard Disney fare (burgers, pizza, chicken fingers, etc) and Country Bear Jamboree is probably fun place to do that, Crystal Palace for the character breakfast.
    Downtown Disney: Planet Hollywood has acceptable food and it's a fun place to eat; House of Blues; there's a movie theatre and there are usually some sort of specials (dinner coupon at Planet Hollywood, 2 movie tickets or some souvenier) that Disney has going. Check at your resort or with your travel agent. If you're there for a week and one day is kind of drizzly, taking in a movie and having lunch at Downtown Disney can be fun

6) Epcot: Soarin', Seas with Nemo & Friends, Test Track. Careful on Mission: Space as the blast off is simulated with centrifugal force. It's unpleasant if you don't care for rapid circular motion. "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" is a good show.
    Magic Kingdom: Pirates of the Caribbean, especially if they've seen and liked any of the movies; Jungle Cruise; Mickey's PhilharMagic: Haunted Mansion, Small World depending on your kids. My daughter went for the first time when she was seven and loved Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad but your two younger children may find those too intense. Fantasyland has the Tea Cups and Peter Pan's Flight. Try the Indy Speedway, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and maybe Astro Orbiter in Tomorrowland.
    Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur, Kilimanjaro Safari, Lion King, River Rapids (if you don't mind getting wet), Jungle Trek. The 'Bug' and Pocohantas shows are fun.
    Disney's Hollywood Studios (MGM): Indiana Jones show, Stunt Show, Great Movie Ride, Beauty & the Beast Show, Toy Story Show may be open by then

7) No. Universal probably has better rides and as the kids get older it may intrigue them more, but you can visit for a day without staying at the Hard Rock or any of the on site resorts. You'll be impressed with how clean Disney is once you've visited Universal.

8) Probably not with small kids. If you're staying at a Disney Resort, you'll have special entry privileges (Extra Magic Hours) that are great. Each day one resort will have an early opening for resort guests. Plan to spend the day at that park. For example, at Animal Kingdom, if you rise early, you could eat breakfast at Rainforest Cafe, finish in time to make the early opening (1 hour before the regular crowd) and then run off to do your first event. For us, it was often the ride "Dinosaur" in Dinoland. When that finished, we'd still have time to walk over to Asia, grab a Fast Pass for Everest (too scary for small kids) then ride the water ride. By the time we finished that we could either ride Everest then go find another Fast Pass, catch a show or just meader around for a bit. Fast Pass is the automated system that allows you to get a ticket for a certain time on a ride or show. You can't get another Fast Pass until the first one's time has passed. You can't use the Fast Pass until your start time but from my experience they don't really 'expire' that day so hang on to them even if it says "3:20 to 4:20". You should still be able to get in a 4:45 or even later. Planning your day (night before, at breakfast, or standing in some big honking line) will ensure you spend less time on line but it does often require a bit more walking. At Epcot, you might want to grab a Fast Pass to Test Track first thing; Magic Kingdom, Splash Mountain--particularly if it's a very warm day.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Cynicism: nothing The Happiest Place in the World can't fix.
    But if you miss the 12:00 robot show, you'll have to wait for the 12:05 robot show.

And remember, you're parked in the Itchy lot.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    But if you miss the 12:00 robot show, you'll have to wait for the 12:05 robot show.

And remember, you're parked in the Itchy lot.
    Also:

-make sure to get your vanity license plates early or you might get stuck with Bort.
    -get several Klu Klux Klam stuffed animals. They're all the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post

Random Other Tips:
    *Write everyone's names on their tickets! Disney now uses a digital fingerprint to stop people from going into the park and then passing their tickets back to their friends, and the ticket won't let you in if your fingerprint doesn't match the original. Children's tickets don't do the fingerprints, but adult tickets do.
    *Don't store your tickets near anything magnetic or other credit cards. This demagnatizes your tickets, and you will have to have them reprinted. It's a pain for everyone.
    *Take advantage of Disney's Extra Magic Hours. These are special times that the parks are open only for Disney Resort Guests. Don't wait in line for a long time to get EMH wristbands though, there are stations set up all over the parks. And on EMH nights, remember to have everyone bring their room keys, even if your ticket is not on your key anymore.
    *Know that if you are staying in a Disney resort and you buy anything in the park, Guest Services can send it all back to your room for free. Don't lug a bunch of bags back on the monorail/bus.
    *Take the monorail at some point. And ask someone at the station if your family can "drive". They will let you sit in the front with the driver. And go ahead and memorize "por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas" - you'll hear it a lot
    *If you are looking for a down day, go exploring in the other resorts. I especially like the Polynesian, Contemporary & Grand Floridian. They are also all very close together...just a monorail ride away!
    *Don't buy your tickets at a Disney Store in a mall or from some cheap-o internet site or Orlando gas station. Disney Store tickets don't scan in WDW ticket machines, and the others are just scams. Plus Disney ticket people are a lot more knowledgeable about how tickets work.
    *See the parades! The Magic Kingdom has one at 3pm [Share a Dream Come True], and a great one at night [SpectroMagic] just before Wishes. I'm not sure about the other parks, but I've heard that Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at the Animal Kingdom is great.
    *Don't be afraid to ask for ANYTHING. Disney is known for it's customer service, and they are serious about it. If you drop an ice cream cone, they will be more than happy to get you a new one. Or if someone is feeling sick [or you don't want to deal with the busses/monorail at night] stop by Guest Services and someone will drive you home in a van . Almost everyone will bend over backwards to make sure you have a great vacation, so be sure you get what you need.
    *Search for "Hidden Mickeys" - Once you get the hang of it, you'll be shocked at how many mickeys there are everywhere...from carpets in hotels to wallpaper, to shrubs...everywhere. Spotting them is a fun family competiton.
    *Use the Fast Pass Machines. I think you can only have 3 fast passes out at a time per ticket, but it saves a LOT of standing-in-line time.
    Damn, I enjoyed reading this, and am saving it in case I do ever go back to Disney.