Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Just wanted to mention that the four of us (three from tent 1, me from tent 2), survived our excursion to College Park for a glorious Duke victory. Look to see a detailed account of our adventure in the coming days. It was truly an experience of a lifetime, though I think once is enough for me and the Comcast center.

Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    Just wanted to mention that the four of us (three from tent 1, me from tent 2), survived our excursion to College Park for a glorious Duke victory. Look to see a detailed account of our adventure in the coming days. It was truly an experience of a lifetime, though I think once is enough for me and the Comcast center.
    We look forward to reading the account of your excursion. Glad you guys made it back safely!

Happy tenting!

Quote Originally Posted by kidslow View Post
    I'm inspired to register and share a few of my own reminiscences. These are highly symbolic of the type of kid I was at school, and probably how I still am as an adult. All in good fun. To my recollection, I did tent once, in 1989 as a Freshman for the Carolina game. While that was memorable in and of itself, not quite as much as these other two anecdotes.

Reading through the comments about camping on snow and ice brought to mind my favorite line experience. It was the Kansas game (2/18/1989), and in my mind I recall Danny Manning on the Kansas team, but my archeology suggests he was one-year removed after destroying Duke in the FF in 1988. It was Ferry's and Abdelnaby's senior year. There was a decent amount of fresh snow on the ground, and this game was all line and no tents. Think we started somewhere around the bend in the sidewalk (near tennis courts). One thing led to another and snowballs found themselves launched from my section of the line towards the front. I doubt the original intent was anything more than the boyish joy of launching snowballs. It's possible I instigated it, though unlikely, however almost certain that I participated. The effect was to clear out large swaths of space in front of us, such that the line collapsed forward ... which only went to inspire a further fusillade of snowballs. Needless to say, we moved up considerably through this gambit. I am likely to always look back on how much fun that game was.

By my senior year in 1992 I wasn't so interested in waiting in a tent for the Carolina game, but I sure was interested in going. By that point in my college career I had gathered a bevy of anecdotes about how to sneak into Cameron. I discovered a route earlier in the season almost by accident. So I concocted a somewhat elaborate plan to break into Cameron around the time students were allowed entrance. It involved someone on the inside opening a door, and we even went so far as clock synchronization. We pushed forward with the plan on schedule, but were quickly caught and rousted from just inside of the "secret entrance". A backup plan was quickly hatched, and with the help of another insider we were able to sneak up into the ticketed section of the stadium and drop down into the student section as it was filling up. I'm pretty sure that just two of us actually followed through all the way. My apologies in advance to anyone who is outraged by the thought of a student sneaking into Cameron. I'd guess it still happens to this day, probably even through some of the same schemes & routes.
    You'd be surprised where I've found some students before Duke-UNC games in Cameron when we're doing the security sweep of the building. The creativity of our student body doesn't just end at being a Crazie.

That said, DON'T SNEAK INTO CAMERON!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by kidslow View Post
    Reading through the comments about camping on snow and ice brought to mind my favorite line experience. It was the Kansas game (2/18/1989), and in my mind I recall Danny Manning on the Kansas team, but my archeology suggests he was one-year removed after destroying Duke in the FF in 1988. It was Ferry's and Abdelnaby's senior year.
    I remember that game well. And the snowballs!

Just FYI: It was Ferry's senior year, but not Alaa's. Danny was class of 89, and Alaa was 90. (Sigh - I wish I wasn't so old as to know this.)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia888 View Post

Just FYI: It was Ferry's senior year, but not Alaa's. Danny was class of 89, and Alaa was 90. (Sigh - I wish I wasn't so old as to know this.)
    Yeah Ferry graduated with Quin Snyder and John Smith right? I seem to recall their final home game vs NCSU and someone had made cardboard "jerseys" with their numbers on them and had them on the sideline.

Alaa graduated with Phil Henderson right? I think I was 13 at the time, but I recall some of those things pretty vividly (Especially when I was by myself with Phil in Cameron during camp and tried profusely to talk him out of transferring out of Duke. To this day I still think Im the reason he stayed )

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Yeah Ferry graduated with Quin Snyder and John Smith right? Alaa graduated with Phil Henderson right?
    Yes and yes. Alaa was in the class of 90 with Phil Henderson and Robert Brickey.

Yes and yes. Alaa was in the class of 90 with Phil Henderson and Robert Brickey.
    Yeah I remember talking to Brickey that year at camp as well, talked quite a bit about his knee injury that season. Glad my memory is still serving me at least somewhat

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Alaa graduated with Phil Henderson right?
    They were both members of the class of '90, but they definitely didn't graduate together. Alaa took a little while to get his Duke-issued sheepskin and I'm not entirely certain that Phil ever did. I know K kept the 1990 final four banner out of Cameron for a while because all the seniors didn't graduate.

I should have clarified that I wasn't sure about the "graduated" part, only that Alaa, Phil and Robert were part of the same freshman class.

I do know that Quin Snyder graduated though, and iirc, it was with a double major. We applied to law schools the same year, and every law school I visited seem to have a rumor that Quin would be coming next year. (Of course he ended up at Duke, which I never doubted.)

My fault for taking this thread off topic and not clarifying what I meant. I shouldn't have used the term "Graduated" but rather referred to them being in the same class. Now back to the regularly scheduled postings from KVille

We did WHAT?

Check out the blog for the newest entry on our epic trip to Maryland!

More soon!

Phil Henderson graduated in 2000.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    It's good to see that our guys do seem to enjoy hanging out together, and Scheyer doesn't seem to be afraid to step in front of the camera. That monster tent seems like a steal for $130...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    I MISS IT!

That video was freakin cool. I really like that they make those, so you can kinda get to know the players a little bit off the court as well. Hope they keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mbd1mbd1 View Post
    Come on Donald - the 4 missed free throws by Cota and Haywood at the end of the 77-75 comeback game in '98 were the most awesome missed FT's ever.
    Well, to be fair, both of the back-ends you reference were missed intentionally.

Two other great FT misses of the last fifteen years belong to Serge Zwikker, whose two clunkers allowed Capel's bomb three seconds later to actually matter (though the memory would be less painful if Serge could have knocked one down, or Capel could have bricked).

The Kansas game; snow; dukestheheat's cold feet.

blazeindw and magnolia888-

i was in the line for that one, too, and i remember the snowballs and the driving snow, and i also have a great story about that game. man, i wore my boots but my feet got super cold; when we FINALLY GOT INTO cameron (i think we actually got in earlier than the usual 1.5 hrs before the tip) i was walking on two blocks of ice, or so it felt like.

let's just say i warmed my feet that night in an unusual manner and leave it at that. that was such a fun way to warm some feet i can tell ya.

dth.

too much information...

Hey, wise guys

Yes, my daughter graduated in '01. BUT despite living in L.A. I have been to Cameron 28 times since then. SOOOOOO, STOP your snubs of my posts.

IMHO, the Crazies have diminished their creativity. Again, it's just my opinion. (But then, I'm allowed to have an opinion...ya think).

Sometimes the Crazies are loud and wonderful. BUT...I'd LOVE to hear from ya'll to 'remind' me of a GREAT cheer/taunt in the last 4+ years. Sorry but I need the Crazies to 'step it up' with all the (obvious) brain power at their disposal. Give it your all, current Crazies. Past Crazies and parents are depending on you! You are the supreme "sixth man" on the planet! So, do us proud -- and create something wonderful. Please.