Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    If King is in the game he will likely be guarding one of the other teams two biggest players, so at least in that sense he's a big man. I agree the game yesterday was in doubt until the last few minutes. If King had struggled for 2+ minutes in the second half the way he did in the first it might have swung the result. I still think King is good enough and his development is important enough to Duke going deep in the NCAA's this year that it's worth risking a bad couple minutes from him, even if it does cost Duke one ACC game somewhere along the way. When King has a good stretch he adds a lot to the team and I think they need to get him some experience against Duke's best opponents and give him a chance to recover quickly from stretches like he had in the first half last night.
    I'm with you in that game experience is quite valuable for developing players and that it would likely benefit King. But IMO, the entire team needs game experience in winning close games against good teams. We lost nearly all of these such games last year including first-round exits in the ACC and NCAA tourney. Heck, Greg, Demarcus and Dave are the only players that have won a post-season (ACC or NCAA) game.

The Clemson game last night (on top of just being a poor matchup for Taylor) was one of these games. I saw some really good development in offensive decision-making from Gerald. I saw very good things, especially on the defensive end, from Lance. Not that the occurrence of these things are necessarily mutually exclusive of minutes from Taylor, but I would put them both, especially Lance's development, ahead of developing King's dribble penetration or post-defense skills on the priority list for a successful team and long tourney run.

GTHC cheer

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    It may have not been audible on TV but the Crazies chanted it at the end of the game.
    Oh, they chanted it-LOUDLY-before the game, especially when they realized/found out that unc had just lost to md. The clemson fans even joined in the cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by mnk1010 View Post
    the man of the match goes to K for switching to the 2-3 zone. that broke the game open IMO
    Duke was in the zone for all of two possessions. It was a nice change-up, but there are many, many more important reasons why Duke won.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Devil View Post
    Good defense tonight aided by some poor guard play by Clemson. Duke was able to capitalize big time on Tiger miscues. What sticks out in my mind is when Clemson went up 61-60, Duke stepped it up a few notches and left them in the dust going on that 21-4 run. That was impressive on both ends of the floor. Rebounding was better in the second half but is still a little dis- concerting.

It was a little shocking to see Taylor King on the bench all through the game tonight. I think he will see some playing time in conference play but my mind goes back to a post from Jumbo (I am pretty sure it was Jumbo-sorry if I am wrong) several weeks ago. At that time, he stated something to the effect that during the ACC schedule King's PT and effectiveness would be less than it was during the pre-conference schedule. Are we seeing this come to pass?
    I think I've been saying all year that King would be a situational player. Certain matchups will be better for Taylor than others. The FSU game was excellent for him -- FSU's bigs weren't offensive threats. But given Clemson's overall athleticism and the talent of Mays/Booker, this was a tough matchup for Taylor. He got a couple of early shifts, struggled against the pressure and didn't look comfortable defensively. So, Duke went with other optoins. That's the advantage of depth. Taylor could easily play 15-20 minutes and post a big scoring game against VT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    If King is in the game he will likely be guarding one of the other teams two biggest players, so at least in that sense he's a big man. I agree the game yesterday was in doubt until the last few minutes. If King had struggled for 2+ minutes in the second half the way he did in the first it might have swung the result. I still think King is good enough and his development is important enough to Duke going deep in the NCAA's this year that it's worth risking a bad couple minutes from him, even if it does cost Duke one ACC game somewhere along the way. When King has a good stretch he adds a lot to the team and I think they need to get him some experience against Duke's best opponents and give him a chance to recover quickly from stretches like he had in the first half last night.
    King got a ton of playing time in a tight FSU game. He played very well. Duke needs TK for offense. Did Duke look like it needed offense against Clemson? I CANNOT BELIEVE people are complaining about crap like this after a terrific win.

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    your exactly right. I just wasn't impressed with their composure on the road. Decision making under pressure was terrible for the Tigers. Don't get me wrong - we haven't had a better night as far as forcing turnover's against quality opponents, but I think this is kind of game that exposes a team ranked in the 20's like Clemson.
    True... But remember that one of their key guards/outside shooting threats is a freshman playing in Cameron Indoor for the first time [and was clearly the most rattled and frustrated]... I like Purnell and like to see this Clemson team doing well--perhaps it's a residual effect of Klemnop's presence here, and what a class act he always is... I hope Booker doesn't step up a level at the end of the year--he's a great player and fun to watch in college [I'm one of those old farts who like to see guys stay in school for my own selfish reasons--because it makes the college product better and more fun to watch]...

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Duke was in the zone for all of two possessions. It was a nice change-up, but there are many, many more important reasons why Duke won.
    Two possessions resulting in two turnovers. We could have forced 47 turnovers if we had played it the whole game

Taylor King

Please settle down with the Taylor King stuff. It's all about matchups and in a game where Duke was being productive by forcing turnovers and limiting their own turnovers to just 2 in the second half it's just not going to be Taylor King Bobblehead Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    True... But remember that one of their key guards/outside shooting threats is a freshman playing in Cameron Indoor
    Well, according to him playing on the road isn't a distraction at all. Wonder if his feelings have changed or if it was just a rough game for him that he'll have from time to time. He seemed to force a lot in that environment...

“You can’t concern yourself about what’s going on around you,” he said. “You have to focus like a laser pointer instead of like a flashlight. It’s almost like I concentrate better on the road because I’m blocking everything out so it is just something that comes with it.”

http://www.upstatetoday.com/news/200...g-cameron-cra/

I think the time is coming - maybe sooner than later - when Smith supplants Paulus as our primary PG. I am a Paulus fan. He's a tough kid with a great attitude, and he is deadly in the clutch. But Smith is getting better and better each game, and you can see his confidence growing. He has become a solid playmaker and will only improve.

I think Paulus has the mental makeup to handle a slightly diminished role, if it's for the good of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Booker may head to the L after this year - he is a beast. Even though he didn't start well, that PG Stitt is going to give us fits for years to come.
    I hope Booker doesn't leave and that we get to see Clemson beat the living crap out of UNC next year at the hill.

I believe there is a very good chance of this. Especially if Hansblah and/or Lawson go pro.

Singler's Block

Forgive me if I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of Singler's block from behind that led to a fast break layup on the other end. That was a huge play - 4 point swing - and an incredible athletic play.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by LetItBD08 View Post
    Well, according to him playing on the road isn't a distraction at all.
    Wow... And he's a standup comedian, too! What a multi-faceted young man!
    I somewhat admire the confidence, but think the ignorant arrogance is simply a further indication of Oglesby's youthful naivete... In any event, the kid is a baller, will be fun to watch, but I quite enjoyed watching our guys teach him a tough lesson...

It was clear that Clemson's youth got a bit rattled at times by the Cameron atmosphere... Another key and perennial thorn in the Tigers' side--have they ever been able to hit a shot from the charity stripe when unguarded? Good God, their FT shooting is horrendous!