Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I love the way the team played tonight. This is the most determined and tough bunch of kids that I have seen at Duke in a long time. We were up against it in the rebounding area and had to make it up in turnover differential and we did. Their poor free throw shooting heped us as well and ours was pretty good tonight. We also saw some zone toward the end and it was effective as used.

It is hard to single one guy out, there were so many good ones tonight. Even with that said, Nelson had a magnificent game tonight. Very efficient 24 points, terrific defense and no forcing of shots. Probably very low turnovers for him as well.

Behind him was Singler with a really excellent game. He was asked to go against much bigger players and held his own. I know he was in double figures and forced some turnovers and made an excellent block when things were close.

Henderson used his great athletic ability to score consistently and forced Clemson to foul him. Great game from him as well.

Nolan Smith showed me a lot tonight. He still makes a few freshman mistakes, but he has the quickness to guard their point guard and can finish in transition.

Scheyer had an excellent overall game. He cooled off in the second half but was still contributing in so many ways.

Paulus had a stinker of a first half but came on to score well and handle the ball fairly well in the second with a nice pass of the inbound for a two when we needed it. He really needs to value the ball more and needs to adjust his game to avoid the silly turnovers. As a junior, he should be getting out of the unforced turnover.

Thomas has a way to go to get back and McClure played well but was up against a big size differential so didn't get as many minutes tonight.

If I am correct, we move up to a #3 ranking and move ahead of UNC. That will stick in their craw.
    And imagine how good we would be if we could recruit big guys!

missed foul

Quote Originally Posted by delfrio View Post
    I really wish Henderson had stuck that dunk. Would have made the highlights for years.
    He only missed it because he was fouled, unfortunately it wasn't called!

Unc

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Why would we move ahead of Carolina?
    They were #1 and lucked out to win one this week and lost tonight. Duke won two and did so impressively against a team UNC had to luck out to beat. Both Duke and UNC are one loss teams. Duke will move from #5 to #3, whereas UNC will move down to #4 or maybe #5.

I don't think I'll be able to choose a MOTM. I nominate the whole team, their tenacity, the crazies, the snow, etc . . . What a team! What a game! I love Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    I don't think I'll be able to choose a MOTM. I nominate the whole team, their tenacity, the crazies, the snow, etc . . . What a team! What a game! I love Duke!!
    the man of the match goes to K for switching to the 2-3 zone. that broke the game open IMO

Motm

The Defense and on ball pressure get my vote

Game Thoughts & Taylor King

Good defense tonight aided by some poor guard play by Clemson. Duke was able to capitalize big time on Tiger miscues. What sticks out in my mind is when Clemson went up 61-60, Duke stepped it up a few notches and left them in the dust going on that 21-4 run. That was impressive on both ends of the floor. Rebounding was better in the second half but is still a little dis- concerting.

It was a little shocking to see Taylor King on the bench all through the game tonight. I think he will see some playing time in conference play but my mind goes back to a post from Jumbo (I am pretty sure it was Jumbo-sorry if I am wrong) several weeks ago. At that time, he stated something to the effect that during the ACC schedule King's PT and effectiveness would be less than it was during the pre-conference schedule. Are we seeing this come to pass?

Why wouldn't we? I'm not saying we are a better team but we have played a stronger schedule and our 1 loss was to a ranked team and theirs was at home and to a team that has already lost 7 games (American, Ohio and VCU among the 7). Add the fact that they have needed overtime to beat Clemson (which we just beat handily) and almost lost to a mediocre GaTech team and I think that there is a strong case that can be made for Duke to be ranked higher than UNC.

Cool This might be a factor...

Partly because the rankings are so much based on "What have you done for me lately?"
    I have no idea if we are actually better than UNC or not. I just think we will move ahead of them in the rankings THIS week.

We'll see. Just My opinion.

I'd love it if UNC stayed #1!

inside presence

As was alluded to in the broadcast, Duke does have an inside presence this year. Not a Boozer, Brand type; but, a driving Henderson, Nelson, Smith, Scheyer type... more than one way to skin a cat!

Game thoughts

What a great team win. With the game in doubt with 9 or so minutes left- there were a series of plays by 5 or 6 different players that were impressive with the degree of confidence with which they were executed. First Nelson, hits a huge three (Nelson played great today- just great)- they Paulus, who again struggled with his shot, hit three throws and then got the steal for the layup. Then Henderson did his thing- slashing and driving- getting fouled, Smith got the layup off the turnover, Singler hit two huge threes and then the close game became a blowout. It is becoming a habit that I really like seeing - hitting threes when really needed. Also huge props to Coach K for throwing in the zone when Duke got separation and not before. That was brilliant. It messed up Clemson just enough that Duke got 6 or so points to break it open. They never got a chance to figure it out and make adjustments.

Clemson is a strong and solid team-no doubt- and absolutely dominated Duke on the boards and inside. It was pretty brutal- but Duke is what it is and forced turnovers- and kept Clemson off balance all game. Of course, Clemson is an awful free throw shooting team- If they are just decent- they are a a very tough out. But they will never be able to win those close games if this keeps up.

A few other highlights to mention. Smith is really getting better. He was a huge spark in the first half and having him in there for stretches makes Paulus better at the end. Nelson really turned it around from a really bad game in Florida. Again he made plays when it counted. Henderson again showed his potential. Also, this is two straight games where Duke has played much better in the last quarter of the game. Depth is really helping there. A great win for this team. If they can play on the road as well as they play at home- watch out.

I wanted to echo an earlier person's statements...despite four fouls, Lance really had a much better game today...now if he could finish those moves he pulled off, he'd be better, but i was impressed.

Smith looks impressive in spurts, and thus the current situation is good for him. I feel he's still a bit young to be playing 40 minutes, but splitting time with paulus is being extremely effective.

Good one!

A great win.

This summer, I expressed some doubt about Markie . . . after having watched him dribble the ball off his foot time after time last year. I was soooooo wrong. What a warrior. Anybody who wonders if Coach K has lost his touch need only look at Markie's performance. Coach K made Markie the captain . . . the only captain. He obviously knew that Markie would respond this year . . . and has he ever. As Jumbo's thread celebrated . . . I am so proud of Markie.

I also liked Hendo's game tonight. Didn't force much. Played with his head up most of the time. Made some very nice passes. And that would have been a dunk for the ages.

Scheyer just makes me laugh. The choirboy assassin.

The zone. I hate zone. But it was a nice change of pace at just the right time. Show it . . . confuse them . . . and get the hell out of it.

A great win.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    Partly because the rankings are so much based on "What have you done for me lately?"
    I have no idea if we are actually better than UNC or not. I just think we will move ahead of them in the rankings THIS week.

We'll see. Just My opinion.
    A fall from #1 beyond #3 is tough. But, they did lose to an unranked at home. And, as mentioned Maryland did have some bad losses. We are either #3 or #4 and either is a great honor and well deserved by this team. Very fun to watch these guys!

King not a king without defense

I love Taylor King... I love his enthusiasm, his heart, and (of course) his shot!

But Taylor hasn't learned to play Duke defense and, in truth, he is not one of the fastest players on the team. He made two egregious errors when he first went in, Coach gave him one more play, and he didn't do well on that.

We didn't need Taylor on offense tonight... we could have used his body to eat up space but not at the cost of not getting back on defense. Like Pocius, Taylor is a project in the making... I think he'll be great when he thinks DEFENSE FIRST, Then shoot!

What a great game! Cameron was ROCKING! And to have Maryland beat Carolina.. if only our water shortage would disappear and world peace would appear, my life would be perfect!

Go Devils!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post

Clemson is a strong and solid team-no doubt- and absolutely dominated Duke on the boards and inside. It was pretty brutal- but Duke is what it is and forced turnovers- and kept Clemson off balance all game. Of course, Clemson is an awful free throw shooting team- If they are just decent- they are a a very tough out. But they will never be able to win those close games if this keeps up.
    The rebounding stat was 42 to 26 for Duke. A lot to overcome, since Clemson was scoring inside after some of the rebounds.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-19-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Henderson non-dunk

Quote Originally Posted by delfrio View Post
    I really wish Henderson had stuck that dunk. Would have made the highlights for years.
    Perhaps he can use it as a trial one for an even more spectacular (successful) one over HansTravel in a couple of weeks??

Many good choices for MOTM tonight. Nelson will be the winner, but many players had good games -- Henderson, Scheyer, Smith, Paulus (in the second half), and of course Singler. He was a man among men tonight.
    I was impressed by the team effort -- particularly in the second half, after we had worn them down in the first half. A good win.

for MOTM my vote goes to Markie. The guy is turning into money for Duke and has stepped up his game.

dth.