Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Duke MBB vs. Clemson Post-Game Thread

From the perspective of converting turnovers into points in transition, this was Duke's best game this year. We really excelled in this victory.
    Bob Green

nelson is looking more and more like a 1st team all acc player.

Wore 'em out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    From the perspective of converting turnovers into points in transition, this was Duke's best game this year. We really excelled in this victory.
    It was so close for a while, then Duke just kept going and Clemson slowed. I really think Clemson got worn down then began to turn it over more and not get back on defense, allowing Duke to pull away. A true "team" win as collectively Duke's effort simply outlasted Clemson.

This team is good.

Period.

I thought this was a very good win for Duke. FT% was up, TO were down, and we proved we can beat a team with big guys if we shoot well. No one had a terrible game. I also noticed Nolan Smith never has a bad game. He might not play spectacular every night but he never stinks up the gym.

Lance Thomas

Thought Lance had one of his better games though his stat line won't reflect it. Played decent help defense, moved better without the ball than I've ever seen him. Still a long long way for him to go but tonight he was mentally into the game and active on defense.

I am so proud of this team and they were a lot of fun to watch tonight! Markie was stellar and that dunk by (my favorite player) Nolan Smith had me jumping all over the place like a little kid!

Nolan stepped right over half court, saw an empty highway right before him, and he hit the jets for 3 pumps and within two milliseconds he was in the lane and then he looked like Michael Jordan on that dunk!

WOW!

This was a great win for Duke and though Clemson had the horses down low, we were able to a) keep turnovers low (valued the ball), b) hit our free throws! and c) hit shots from 2 and 3 ball range.

GO DUKE!

dth.

It was a demonstration of our pressure D, balance and depth. When we play that way there is no letup for the opposition. I have not seen another team with depth of a quality that they can keep up. If we shoot reasonably well, we are extremely tough.

TK

King in the doghouse?

Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

Depth, Depth, Depth

I never thought I would see it (Duke fan since 1977 when I had my freshman year). The last two games were won by our depth and our nerve. With as many fast, active, interchangeable parts as we have, sooner or later, the other team wears down. Actually Pitt was the same way, only we lost on the last second shot.

The team is aggressive, unselfish, and relentless. If they can continue to show the nerve that they have, they have a great upside - even without the big rebounding presence. We were outrebounded today, but not in the last 8 minutes.

Great game!

I can't believe no one's mentioned the zone yet. I thought that was the turning point -- it created a couple of turnovers and allowed us to build our margin and confidence. Clemson really handled it poorly.

Scheyer with another awesome game, and Markie doing really nicely with creating other opportunities for himself as teams have taken away his drives and his 3 pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Nolan stepped right over half court, saw an empty highway right before him, and he hit the jets for 3 pumps and within two milliseconds he was in the lane and then he looked like Michael Jordan on that dunk!
    I thought Nolan looked like Grant Hill
    Bob Green

Smile

Nelson, Henderson and Smith - I don't remember any college team (Duke or otherwise) with 3 better slashers that could finish. And the others aren't bad either!

Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbar7502 View Post
    King in the doghouse?
    I think maybe TK didn't click right away in this game. With Lance playing well and McClure starting, I think Taylor just lost some minutes. Not that he was bad, just others were better. When he didn't hit an immediate 3, he got "phased" out tonight. It will happen again before the season is other.

Best Game of Year?

I love the way the team played tonight. This is the most determined and tough bunch of kids that I have seen at Duke in a long time. We were up against it in the rebounding area and had to make it up in turnover differential and we did. Their poor free throw shooting heped us as well and ours was pretty good tonight. We also saw some zone toward the end and it was effective as used.

It is hard to single one guy out, there were so many good ones tonight. Even with that said, Nelson had a magnificent game tonight. Very efficient 24 points, terrific defense and no forcing of shots. Probably very low turnovers for him as well.

Behind him was Singler with a really excellent game. He was asked to go against much bigger players and held his own. I know he was in double figures and forced some turnovers and made an excellent block when things were close.

Henderson used his great athletic ability to score consistently and forced Clemson to foul him. Great game from him as well.

Nolan Smith showed me a lot tonight. He still makes a few freshman mistakes, but he has the quickness to guard their point guard and can finish in transition.

Scheyer had an excellent overall game. He cooled off in the second half but was still contributing in so many ways.

Paulus had a stinker of a first half but came on to score well and handle the ball fairly well in the second with a nice pass of the inbound for a two when we needed it. He really needs to value the ball more and needs to adjust his game to avoid the silly turnovers. As a junior, he should be getting out of the unforced turnover.

Thomas has a way to go to get back and McClure played well but was up against a big size differential so didn't get as many minutes tonight.

If I am correct, we move up to a #3 ranking and move ahead of UNC. That will stick in their craw.

Taylor will be a crucial part of this team's success going forward. He's not in the doghouse, no worries.

Why would we move ahead of Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    Nelson, Henderson and Smith - I don't remember any college team (Duke or otherwise) with 3 better slashers that could finish. And the others aren't bad either!
    I really wish Henderson had stuck that dunk. Would have made the highlights for years.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Why would we move ahead of Carolina?
    because our loss was to a ranked team on a neutral court and their loss was to bad team at home.

Quote Originally Posted by bbar7502 View Post
    King in the doghouse?
    first time poster, sorry if i dont quit know the rules of the forum, but wouldnt king be perfect for instant offense? does K not trust king when it matters. if i was coach he's the one guy i would want to take the last shot? of course i could be out of line, this is my first time posting