Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    This is how it works in my house, we root for Duke, and then we root for anyone playing " The Other School." Thrilled Maryland one.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCat View Post
    This is how it works in my house, we root for Duke, and then we root for anyone playing " The Other School." Thrilled Maryland one.
    And then there were the meltdowns in the postgame:
    1) The UNC girl is STILL crying;
    2) Roy used the word FRICKIN'

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Perhaps the story is just now being told of how much Wright meant to UNC last year. And as giddy as I am to see UNC lose, teams seem to be bodying up on HansB moreso than last year, he's getting knocked around quite a bit. Not that he doesn't dish it out in equal or greater measure, but UNC games have been pretty rough affairs in the paint lately.
    Wonder if this will push him into declaring for the draft after this year? He is really taking a beating. Of course like you said he is also dishing out a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Perhaps the story is just now being told of how much Wright meant to UNC last year. And as giddy as I am to see UNC lose, teams seem to be bodying up on HansB moreso than last year, he's getting knocked around quite a bit. Not that he doesn't dish it out in equal or greater measure, but UNC games have been pretty rough affairs in the paint lately.
    It seems to me your first sentence is the answer to your second point. With Wright gone they do not have the 2nd quality big on offense.

Observations on Md game

I only watched the last five minutes or so, nevertheless:

1 - I could not figure out why the unc fans were not MORE visibly upset after the Ellington play at the end. They are behind by two and Md has the ball with a few seconds left....(I did see the out-of-bounds play)...but the announcers kept yapping. Ball to unc - what???? - speaking of some home-cookin' !!

2 - HansTravel taking a three-pointer, what an absolute classic! (The only other "shot" I saw him take was an airball from the left side of the paint.) Perhaps he was confused when there was no one in front of him to knock over before getting some more free throws on his customary charge to the rim? ESPN showed he had been getting muscled around pretty well in the first half.

3 - Williams of unc fame spent most of the post-game press conference talking about how "we/I" did all kinds of things wrong to lose the game. One would think he might give at least a little bit of credit to (these words pain me!) the Terrapins?

But on an even brighter note, the Devils looked quite good against Clemson. The game plan worked well against a team that, due to its size and strength, on paper could have given Duke fits.

k

"Hanstravel"

i love it!

unc-md

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    why would you call a play for hans taking a 3???
    Probably because whenever he touches the ball, it's an automatic foul against anyone who is guarding him, you silly person .

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    3 - Williams of unc fame spent most of the post-game press conference talking about how "we/I" did all kinds of things wrong to lose the game. One would think he might give at least a little bit of credit to (these words pain me!) the Terrapins?
    Because this is a key piece of the Carolina legacy. Remember? Ademola Okulaja beat himself...

Actually, Roy gave more than a little credit to Gary and the turtles. As he should have.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    . Good to see that Maryland could get up for someone other than Duke.

Ain't that the truth. Usually if the uniform didn't have D-U-K-E on it, Maryland couldn't be bothered to give a crap.

Gthcgth!

For anyone in Cameron around the time this game was ending - one of the greatest GTHCGTH chants I've experienced! (excluding end of game wins against Carolina themselves.) The Crazies always love a good GTHCGTH after a tough-fought game, but the pre-game chant was great! Students were watching the game at the concession stands, on the tv at the scorers table, and talking on the phone getting the scores - everyone seemed to know at the same moment!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFencer View Post
    For anyone in Cameron around the time this game was ending - one of the greatest GTHCGTH chants I've experienced! (excluding end of game wins against Carolina themselves.) The Crazies always love a good GTHCGTH after a tough-fought game, but the pre-game chant was great! Students were watching the game at the concession stands, on the tv at the scorers table, and talking on the phone getting the scores - everyone seemed to know at the same moment!
    The TV at the scorer's table was hilarious. i was checking my phone, when we noticed everyone leaning into the scorer's table tv and we just reacted as they did. SO awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by shereec View Post
    Because this is a key piece of the Carolina legacy. Remember? Ademola Okulaja beat himself...
    I'm told he still has to shave his palms.

Hans is not Hibbert

I guess he saw Hibberts hit the game winning 3 and thought he could do it...so Womansbrough...Hibbert's a better post than you...(obviously can hit the game winner better than you too!) BASK IN THE GLOW PEOPLE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFencer View Post
    Thanks for clarification. That makes MUCH more sense. The TV replay of the Crazies watching the tvs and going crazy at the Md win left me with the impression that we invested in a giant replay screen at Cameron showing the game. Something about Mike Patrick these days yapping away at nothing that bothers me greatly these days.

It was awfully nice to see the Clemson fans watching and chanting along with the Crazies.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

One of 5 things could happen when Clever Hans took the shot

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Probably because whenever he touches the ball, it's an automatic foul against anyone who is guarding him, you silly person .
    You have 1.7 seconds left. You pass it to someone who can receive the ball. As Ellington was off yesterday, I understood why Huck went with a pass to Clever Hans. If the person who receives the ball is arguably your best player, you want him taking the shot, but quickly. At least from the 3 pt range, you have four GOOD things that might happen:
    1) He might actually hit it;
    2) He might get fouled (3 shots);
    3) As devildeac alluded, the refs would call a foul on someone near the shooter (3 shots). I wouldn't do the wink icon, as it is CLEAR that at 10.7 seconds, the refs gave the ball to UNC on an out-of-bounds play that should have been reversed for Md.
    4) Perhaps someone underneath might tip it back in for a tie. I don't recall seeing a tacky blue person there.

Seems logical to me. Good D (and not going for the steal on the inbounds pass) seemed to work against the tacky blues.

Fortunately the 5th GOOD thing happened. Md defended well, and he missed the shot!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

TY should have taken it to the hoop.

His normal 5 steps would have gotten him there easily. Did anyone notice how open #14 was under the basket? But everyone knows the "BEST" player in the country doesn't pass.

Passing wasn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    His normal 5 steps would have gotten him there easily. Did anyone notice how open #14 was under the basket? But everyone knows the "BEST" player in the country doesn't pass.
    No way he could pass it to someone who would have time to get a shot off. Hansbrough isn't much of a passer, I agree, but this is one time where he can't be faulted for not passing.

What should be of concern for UNC is its defense. Maryland isn't a very good offensive team, but UNC didn't stop the Terps yesterday, at home.

The Stupid Dance

Hope all the UNC fans enjoyed the silly pregame good luck dance by Dancing Danny Green yesterday. Roy and the team seemed to get a big kick out of it as well. In the end Dancing Danny looked pretty stupid when the Maryland player got around him to score the winning basket and Dancing Danny end up on his butt. You know Dancing Danny and probably Roy and UNC fans would have probably traded the Dance for Danny having conserved that energy to make that one defensive stop at the end. Oh well, so much for it being good luck. I myself find it disrespectful to the visiting teams. I appreciate the fact the the Blue Devil players don't have to resort to such stupid ploys to pump themselves and their fans up.

What fun it was to drive up 85 today while passing sad, dispirited 'hole fans! Especially the guy wearing his Hansbore jersey while driving his Toyota with the Maryland plates. He's going to have a rough day tomorrow at the jerk store.