Duke MBB vs. Clemson Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Thoughts on todays game vs Clemson. Post them here.

Talking

I've missed the last two games. (I was on a cruise from last Saturday until Thursday...but I was seasick, so don't be too jealous.) Sunday night wasn't too bad, I could still use my phone to check the score. However, Wednesday night our ship lost communication to the satelite, so there were no score updates until Thursday morning. NOT FUN. So, needless to say, I'm very anxious and ready for 6:00 to roll around. Not sure what to be looking for... but I'm ready to see some something explosive since I've been a way.

I'm also enjoying (so-far) this UNC/MD game. Let's go terps?

Turnovers

The key stat will be TOs tonight, particularly on Duke's end of the floor.

Clemson's D is highly correlated to its success in turning over opponents. They do a good job of creating turnovers, but an excellent job of getting steals, a specific subset of TOs. Duke's offensive success is relatively well correlated to TOs, as well. Duke's offense is as good at not allowing them as Clemson's D is at creating them (both rank in the 50's nationally). Duke's ability to dictate on offense will be governed by TOs more than ORebs. Last time out, Duke had its highest percentage of TO's since November against EKU.

On the other end of the floor, Duke's D is highly correlated to TOs as well. Clemson's offense, however, is not very correlated to TOs.

Whether the shots are falling or not is nearly always the best indicator of a teams offensive efficiency that night. However, tonight Duke's care of the ball will tell as much of the story.

Sources:
    http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=Duke&y=2008
    http://kenpom.com/expsked.php?team=Duke&y=2008
    http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=Clemson&y=2008
    http://kenpom.com/expsked.php?team=Clemson&y=2008

Keys to the game:

1. Harass Freshman point guard Demontez Stitt into Freshman mistakes.
    2. Be aggressive on the defensive boards to limit Clemson's second chance points.
    3. Take care of the basketball/make open shots.

Go DUKE!
    Bob Green

Here we go Devils, here we go!!!

Oh God I'm not really hearing Mike Patrick am I??

Please no, please no.

This game serves as an illustration of why Scheyer comes off the bench. The spark he's created is amazing. How much better has he gotten at taking it strong to the rim?

Lance Thomas

First of all I love his energy, but he is always on the floor. It would be interesting how many times he is on the floor in a game. Even when he just grabbed a rebounded he fell backwards. Is it just me or is his balance a little off?

A good first half. We took care of the ball and made open shots. We will need to do a better job on the boards in the second half. Clemson is cleaning up on second chance points (and third chance).
    Bob Green

Paulus

Paulus had kind of a stinker of a half. He threw the ball away twice, took quick threes, where the rebound led to Clemson getting down the floor for a quick strike and was beaten off the dribble on three occasions. Smith came in and has his freshman type problems but he is dangerous scoring and guards well. Paulus needs to get his head in the game. As a Junior, he should be better at valuing the ball. We need him to play better. Otherwise, the guys are playing well defensively and the scoring is coming from all over.

Thomas is playing better, but he still has a ways to go to be the determined player we have seen at times from him.

Clemson will try to make corrections getting the ball down on us, while we need to get the turnovers to make up for the rebounding differential, which seemed huge in the first half.

This is starting to remind me of the Pitt game, having an early led but b/c of poor rebounding and a lack of size getting overpowered.

he didn't sub until like the 14 min mark, if I'm not mistaken and in the first half a lot of players saw some time. Rebounding issue may because of fatigue. King hasn't played in the second half.

With 9 and a half to go, up 6, then Paulus gets YET ANOTHER pick. That kid's played great in passing lanes tonight.

Notices:

1. We're getting crushed on the glass. Mays is a man.

2. Where is my boy Taylor King?

Don't Transfer King

Wow! This team is fun to watch when they make the 3 ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebballcamper90-91 View Post
    Don't Transfer King
    Woah woah woah...is he thinking of transferring? He's only played 15 games in college!!

Doing a good job at the foul line, but as always, I hate them trying to take 3 point shots when they can't make. Scheyer is doing an amazing job. I have to agree n Paulus. Nelson is hot tonight as well. He has really come into his own this year, I think.

I haven't heard anything anywhere close to king leaving. It just seems that we always have a guy thats over 6'2 transfer pretty regular.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebballcamper90-91 View Post
    I haven't heard anything anywhere close to king leaving. It just seems that we always have a guy thats over 6'2 transfer pretty regular.
    Sheesh, don't get me worked up like that! I had a spell.

Here's a question...if Dawkins could suit up again, you think he'd still work people? I think the cat could probably still start.

woooooo!!!