Good Nolan Smith Article

Smile Fantastic Read

I am sappy and a sucker for such pieces. But it was well done and makes me even prouder to be a Devil. Now, I CANNOT wait to see Nolan develop into the player he shows us he is becoming. With our young team of nearly all 4-year players, this is going to be a great, great ride.

Notably, Heather is the same author who penned the early nice piece about K. ESPN has come up a notch in my mind.

thanks dukedevil, great read. I love the line about noticing fathers in the crowd and not banners.

WOW, I just thought of something cool. Nolan and Johnny D both signed my son's #2 road Duke jersey.

A wonderful piece. I had tears several times. A good writer showing great humanity. I recommend it to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    A wonderful piece. I had tears several times. A good writer showing great humanity. I recommend it to all.
    Before I read the article I read the responses here. I almost posted "You big Wuss" in response to Indoor66. Then I read the article and I also had tears several times Guess I'm a big wuss too! Like I needed more reasons to like this kid! I sent email to the author and thanked her for the article (something I don't do very often).

Thanks for the link Dukiedevil.

Elvis

As a son and as a father, this article was tough to read and keep my eyes dry. Very well done, and a great reminder about the "family" that is Duke basketball.

Dukiedevil - Thanks for posting the article. I also got a little choked up reading it.

I note that the author, Heather Dinich, is the former Baltimore Sun beat writer for Maryland football and basketball. It took her awhile to get up to speed but I enjoyed her articles on the Terps in the paper and at the Baltimore Sun blog for Maryland sports. I've seen her on the tube recently so she may still live in the DC area.

gw67

That is probably one of the most touching articles I have read in the last year or so. Just wow. I can't say I had tears but was on the verge multiple times. He's got a big heart and he may be becoming my favorite devil(Have always loved Nelson and Henderson's style)

It also said in the article:

"I think the more he gets comfortable with the system, the quicker he will play," Krzyzewski said. "He's so conscientious that at times he will think too much. He's not afraid ever, but he's trying to make sure he's doing the right things. When his instincts take over, he plays quicker."

It sounds like Nolan just thinks too much. He should stop that :P.

Nolan Smith

I didn't get to see tonight's game but I have a few thoughts to pass on about Nolan Smith.
    Most people by now know that he is the son of former Louisville star and ex-NBA player Derek Smith. The tattoo on his arm is a picture of his father, who died in the mid-1990s after suffering a heart attack while the family was on a cruise ship. Nolan was aboard at the time as a young boy.
    Derek Smith was a truly great college player at Louisville. He had the height that Nolan doesn't have, standing around 6-6 or 6-7. He played on Denny Crum's first championship team in 1980 when Louisville beat UCLA in Indianapolis. Darrell Griffith was the star of that team, called the Doctors of Dunk. He also averaged more than 23 points per game one year in the NBA with the Los Angeles Clippers.
    Derek was a country boy from Georgia raised with solid values. His close friend on the Louisville team was Wiley Brown, who became famous for leaving his prosthetic thumb on his lunch tray after the pregame meal before the NCAA final and having to comb through the trash to recover it in time to play the game. As of last year, Wiley Brown was working in athletic administration at Louisville and one of his projects was raising money for a new practice facility to be named after Derek Smith.
    Whatever positive traits Derek Smith had were passed on to his son. I had the occasion to speak with Nolan Smith for about 45 minutes at an airport last year when he was playing for Oak Hill Academy and he was just a phenomenal person to talk to. In fact, Oak Hill coach Steve Smith said last week that Nolan Smith is "the best kid that's ever been here."
    I don't know what kind of player Nolan Smith will become at Duke. Already, you can see the hard work he has put in the weight room. Also, you can see that he possesses what many players his age do not have -- an outstanding mid-range game. I'm not sure that he'll ever been an ideal point guard. I don't know that he'll be a consistent three-point threat.
    However, I can promise everyone that Nolan Smith will be a winner and a credit to Duke University.

Quote Originally Posted by IStillHateJimBain View Post
    I'm not sure that he'll ever been an ideal point guard. I don't know that he'll be a consistent three-point threat.
    However, I can promise everyone that Nolan Smith will be a winner and a credit to Duke University.
    If I remember right, He shot around 40% from the 3 last year at Oak Hill. I cant find any links to prove that(still looking). Maybe Bob Green(always posted about last years recruits) will know a little bit more.

Agree he wont ever be a "ideal" PG. I think he will be a consistend three-point threat.

Just looked it up. He shot 33% from the 3.

http://www.justduke.com/nolan-smith.html
    Last edited by DukeBlood; 01-20-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Mistake

Says he shot 45% from deep as a JR. So he has it in him.

I'm not saying he can't do it. I'll go to battle with this kid any day. He's a player, without a game you can just pigeonhole into one area. One thing to remember for 2008-09 for all concerned and this could make Taylor King more valuable is that the 3-point line goes back to 20-9 next year if it's approved by the competition committee.

Good point. Forgot they were moving it back.

Alot of people have compared him to Daniel Ewing. IMO I was never impressed with DE, and never wanted him to shoot(wasnt confident in him). Never seen anything real special in him either.

In Nolan Smith I see something special. Everything I have heard, read and seen is that he is a very hard worker. I never seen, heard or read that in anything about DE. Smith will only get better.

Very good article.

I am starting to like Nolan a lot. A kid with that kind of heart will do well at Duke. I see him as a Duhon type player with maybe more upside. The next four years should be fun!