Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Kenny Boynton recruitment

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ton/index.html

The above is a very good article on Boynton, who Duke recently offered (class of 09). This a huge recruit for Duke, one that I think Duke is well situated for. He sounds very impressed with Duke and K.

I know Ken has been on our radar for a few years, and the timing is right. He is a 6-2 combo guard. His frosh year is the Sr. year of Paulus. Right now Ken operates as a off-guard, but his size and ball skills mean that he will move to the pg. He is an athletic scoring pg, not unlike J-Will, who would be a good fit at Duke given our need for GP's eventual replacement, and his need to take a year to acclimate to playing PG at college. He may end up at Oak hill next year.

This is a big battle for Duke. I like us as well as anyone, cause FL, who I feared was a lock for him, got a 4 year Pg last year, opening Boynton up. IF we can get Boynton, then that could start a river of recruits heading to duke to play with an elite PG prospect. Fingers Crossed.

Patrick Yates

I've been impressed with everything I've read about Boynton. He is indeed special. He is Class of 2009, so Paulus will have graduated when (if) Boynton arrives at Duke.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Fuzzy Math

Yeah my bad on the math. I was posting as the ol' boss was yapping about something.

Instant Starter for KB, depending on where Nolan Smith ends up, but it could very well be that by the 09-10 season at Duke, there are plenty of minutes in the backcourt, leaving K free to run two pgs at once, a la 01-02.

Get in the truck KB.

Patrick Yates

Coach K visits Kenny Boynton

They are doing a documentary on Kenny Boyntons team and Coach K comes to visit.. also nice footage of KB practicing.

Watch: http://benoticedproductions.com/portfolio.shtml

also the elite 24 game is coming on ESPN 2 right now after the UCLA game (12:30 am/et)

This recruiting tidbit deserves a thread of its own (Boynton)

Get ready Cameron Crazies! Duke's top 2009 prospect, Kenny Boynton Jr. will visit Durham during the Duke-UNC game on March 8th at 9:00 EST.

My members knew this, but seeing how ESPNU just messed with my milk money

Seriously, I will have to remind you of this very important visit during a very important game. BTW, Boynton had 23 points at the half this evening.

great!

I know there are some current students who will be attending the game (if they get in) - I'm hoping some creative folks can put together a nice welcome for KB.

s.i.

well

he ended up with 43 pts.... unfortunately the rest of his team combined only scored 27 more in a blowout loss he is very impressive though

Thumbs up Kenny Boynton puts up 44 pts...

Plain and simple from what I saw he is even more J-Will like then I thought. His team to say the least IMO looked like a below-average HS team. So they had no other option but to let Boynton touch the ball on almost every possesion. While he did force things a bit (so did J-Will a few times during his career) he had to unless his they would have got beat alot worse then 20+. From what I saw he hit about 4 or 5 3's, some were from NBA range and his quickness and speed...oh boy!...IMHO he easily rivals Lawson. He also has a exceptional handle and he can dribble through traffic. If their is one thing he needs to improve on is his shooting motion but he does have a pretty floater even when he was off balanced. At first I didn't know or believe he was as good as most of us were saying but now after seeing him with my own eyes, I must admit this kid has a chance to be VERY VERY SPECIAL. The sooner K locks him up the better. He is a typical Duke championship calibur guard to say the least.

Hopefully after seeing the Cameron Crazies at their best and us beating the holes, he will immediately commit to Duke and fight the good fight...

K. Boynton

Can anyone else comment on how good he is or could be?

I was helping friends and lost track of time. I was disappointed that i couldn't watch the game. Oh well, Still was a good night.

Sounds like he has alot of positives. What about the negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by 2001dukechamps View Post
    His team to say the least IMO looked like a below-average HS team.
    Kenny Boynton's team, American Heritage, played without two starters: 6'10" Center Eloy Vargas and Point Guard Ray Taylor.
    Bob Green

UNC Game?

I realize The Crazies will be and always are in top form for UNC. But might not it have been better to get Kenny Boynton to visit Cameron on a game other than UNC this year? A game we know we are going to win (or are a HUGE point favorite)? Yes no ACC game is a guaranteed win, and if Duke pulls out a win against the hated heels all the better.

I'm sure people will say a win or loss when a high profile guy is in the building doesn't matter. We had that Alex Rodrigez guy in the building for several basketball games and he never signed on to play Duke baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    ...But might not it have been better to get Kenny Boynton to visit Cameron on a game other than UNC this year?
    IMO, the UNC game is the absolute pefect date for Boynton to visit Duke. He will be able to experience the rivalry first hand. Bringing KB in to watch Duke play Carolina in Cameron is our trump card.
    Bob Green

It's a good thing they have two months to prepare!

Ehhh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    IMO, the UNC game is the absolute pefect date for Boynton to visit Duke. He will be able to experience the rivalry first hand. Bringing KB in to watch Duke play Carolina in Cameron is our trump card.
    It's impossible to tell what is going through most recuits heads these days and what truly matters most to them. I agree the Duke / UNC game will show him a Duke home game at it's most crazy, on a national stage and I think we all know the crazies will have some cheers in mind just for him.

That being said if Duke were to (God forbid) get blown out I hope it wouldn't deter him from giving Duke a verbal. (He isn't considering UNC too correct?) I do know football recruits that were considering Michigan and Ohio State in previous years have been brought to that big game by both schools. And it's no surprise the winner seemed to get verbal commitments soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post

I was helping friends and lost track of time. I was disappointed that i couldn't watch the game. Oh well, Still was a good night.

My impression of Boynton from seeing him about a year ago (I didn't watch last night) is this:

Start with J-Will.

Now, subtract some quickness, speed, leaping ability, strength, and overall physical explosiveness. Don't get me wrong, Boynton is plenty athletic but I wouldn't compare his speed to Lawson nor his overall athleticism to J-Will. Of course, at the time I saw him, he was just a sophomore in high school so he can and should grow athletically. Also, subtract some point guard skills. Boynton's biggest adjustment in college will be learning to play with teammates, make them better and share the ball.

Okay, here's the good part. ADD better free throw shooting, better pull-up (a signature of his), better overall midrange game, better body control in the lane and around the basket (he's elite here), and better use of the glass to score (he really understands angles). He's very nifty in getting his shot off with touch. Boynton is an elite-level scoring guard and probably the most skilled scorer at guard in his class. He's already doing things skill-wise (like his pullup) that most guards don't learn until they're upperclassmen in college or perhaps never learn at all. His ability to shoot well at all 3 levels (3-pt, midrange, basket) makes him arguably the best shooter in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post

Well since I already mentioned his positives, I'll mention his negatives:
    (Based of that one game I saw)

He tends to force some things whether it is a shot or a flashy pass..
    He has a slightly awkward shooting motion, it is quick and has a nice ark to it though...
    His defense at this stage is below-average...but K and Co. can fix that easily since he has the skill and athleticism to become a good or even great defender...I think part of it is his technique...
    oh and he didn't have that "Duke" hustle in him...K will fix that too...

Mr. Boynton will not be the only recruit in town that game either. I think he'll be joined by one of the characters from Entourage.

No...

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    It's impossible to tell what is going through most recuits heads these days and what truly matters most to them. I agree the Duke / UNC game will show him a Duke home game at it's most crazy, on a national stage and I think we all know the crazies will have some cheers in mind just for him.

That being said if Duke were to (God forbid) get blown out I hope it wouldn't deter him from giving Duke a verbal. (He isn't considering UNC too correct?) I do know football recruits that were considering Michigan and Ohio State in previous years have been brought to that big game by both schools. And it's no surprise the winner seemed to get verbal commitments soon after.
    I don't think Carolina is recruiting him. They already have Marshall and Larry Drew to go along with Frazier for the next couple of years (assuming Lawson leaves) so they are in no real need of another point guard. Besides, they have to be about out of scholarships aren't they?

Re: Boynton's shooting motion, he kinda does the Larry Bird thing where he cocks the ball a bit farther back. He's probably been doing it since he was 5 and I don't think any coach will tinker with it because, well, the ball goes in when he shoots it.

I would say the quick summary of Kenny Boynton would be great shooter/touch from all over the floor and needs to learn how to share the ball.