Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke MBB vs FSU Pre-Game and In-Game thread

Any pre-game thoughts? FSU won at Florida and went to double overtime with Clemson. Right now they're a bit better than Virginia, and this looks like a good test for our team.

They have 5 guys averaging double figures. Isaiah Swann and Ralph Mims are both shooting the 3 above 40%. Uche Echefu at 6'9" and 225 should be a good match up for Lance or Kyle.

Maybe a close game in the first half, then build a little working margin in the second half. But not an easy game at all.

I look for DeMarcus to continue his strong leadership and have another stellar performance. 24 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists.

Florida State has as good of a backcourt as any in the league. They only play 7 players but 6 are truly factors. Only legitimate size is Echefu, if he plays well this game will go down the wire. All four guards are big, strong and attack the basket. Though they are small they hold their own on the glass ( especially Rich).

I believe Florida State is the 4th best team in the league and will make the tournament.

I expect to see Nelson and Henderson post up quite often this game. Hopefully depth will be the difference.

Next 2 games will tell a lot

I think this is going to be more difficult for Duke than it looks at first glance. The bottom line is that regardless of record, FSU always plays Duke well. Then add in the fact that this is only Duke's 2nd true road game (though there were plenty of Duke fans in Philly for the Temple game) and your curiosity begins to spike a little bit. FSU can match Duke's depth as well; they have 9 players averaging double-digit minutes and, like Duke, have 5 players averaging double figures in scoring (including Taylor King, who averages 9.9).

This is going to be a test for Duke because let's be honest, I don't think we have that great of an idea as to how this team reacts on the road, let alone in-conference against a team and coach familiar with our personnel and style of play. Moreso than most games, I'm very interested to see how we play. And then, I'm interested to see how we follow up against Clemson. These next 2 games will tell us a lot about this squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    FSU can match Duke's depth as well; they have 9 players averaging double-digit minutes
    The second part of that is technically correct, but the first is not. FSU's frontline has been well-nigh demolished by injuries. Solomon Alabi - out; Ryan Reid - out; Casaan Breeden - out. Julian Vaughn missed some games as well, but he did put in all of three minutes against Clemson - it's possible he'll be back healthy against Duke. FSU has leaned very heavily on 5 guys - Rich, Douglas, Swann, Echefu, and Mims. All of them played at least 41 minutes in the 2OT Clemson game, and all but Mims played at least 47. Over the past 4-5 games, the FSU box score has included just 7 guys, and both Zitani and Demercy have averaged less then 10 mpg in those games.

FSU is very good on the perimeter, and plays a 4-guard lineup probably 80-85% of the game (Zitani and Demercy are 6'7" forwards), but those guards are not very big - I don't think a single one is 6'4". Duke has depth, size, and athleticism on the wing to match up well with FSU. But it will still be a good test - all 4 guards can slash and shoot - look for FSU to do a lot of floor spreading and drive-draw-and-kick plays on offense.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

The season average stats are misleading. FSU isn't deep - they're depleted by injuries.

I'm a little torn. I want to see a fast paced game to take advantage of our depth, but at the same time, we want to keep fouls to a minimum, as FSU is the best free throw shooting team in the country, and we're... somewhat less than that.

What to expect

Almost regardless of how their team performs against other opponents, Florida State plays Duke tough, especially in Tallahassee. The fans can be pretty dangerous as well. Watch out for the leaps over the press row!

Yeah I agree Duke can never overlook FSU b/c they always play us well. That being said i feel our gaurds and depth will be to much for FSU. We will win but it will be close until the end.

Smile What the locals are saying about the FSU game

Ira Schoffel, FSU beat reporter/columnist , had some comments on radio today,to wit:
    1.FSU players are looking forward to the game.
    2.They think they match up well with Duke.
    3.They are confident they can win.
    4. Ira is surprised Coach K does not change his strategic approach to the game from year to year.In other words, Duke brings the same game plan; Duke is predictable.
    5. As a result of #4, FSU "abuses" Duke's method of play.

As a personal aside, no bball win,save that against Florida, gives FSU more satisfaction than that over Duke. The usual ennui in the civic center is transformed into an incredibly loud venue,fully populated by fanatical,delirious fans. Their announcers( one of whom does radio play-by-play for the Tampa Bay Bucs) harp on Duke's alleged preferential treatment by the refs.There may be a slight inferiority complex at FSU; Duke is FSU's antipode in many respects.There is, however, great respect for Coach K in part because he has always given a great deal of credit and praise to FSU coaches and players. Contrast that with the attitude toward El Deano, who snubbed Coach Pat Kennedy in 1992 when the former walked over to present a welcoming gift to Smith on his first appearance in Tallahassee as an ACC rival.Smith sent someone else to accept the present even as the stadium announcer was graciously exhorting the crowd to welcome Smith and directing attention to Kennedy's presenting the gift to Smith as a token of respect.Every other visiting ACC coach in that inaugural season demonstrated civility and courtesy during the gift bestowal. Earlier that season, FSU had shocked UNC at Chapel Hill.Smith had an obnoxious habit of talking to FSU players like Charlie Ward and Sam Cassell during the game action, a fact which enraged FSU coaches and fans.
    Best regards and ...beat the 'Noles, please!

Duke is going to have to defend the perimeter against FSU. The Seminoles have made 124 3-point shots (37.2%) this season. They shot 40% (8-20) against Clemson. On offense, Duke is going to have to make open shots. Clemson made 13 3-pointers out of 24 attempts in their victory over FSU. This is a matchup of two perimeter oriented teams and the game will be won by the team that controls the perimeter. Duke will have a size advantage against FSU as the Seminoles have been playing a four guard line-up so I expect Duke to attempt to exploit an inside advantage at times. It wouldn't suprise me to see Taylor King down in the blocks on offense when he is in the game.
    Bob Green

We have a 2 game losing streak to these guys, completely unacceptable.

This will be a good test to see how well the team (and freshmen) play on the road. As I posted in another thread, FSU is very small and likes to play four guards; although they are a guard-oriented team, they don't value the ball or pass well; there is a lot of one-on-one play; and they are not a strong defensive team. On the positive side, they are a good shooting team and are, by far, the best free throw shooting team in the ACC. Unless FSU brings their “A” game and the Devils are off their game, I expect an 8-10 point victory.

gw67

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Fsu

Starters
    Douglas 6-1 JR
    Swann 6-2 SR
    Rich 6-3 SR
    Zitani 6-7 SR
    Echefu 6-9 JR

Reserves, over 10 MPG
    Mims 6-3 SR

Notes
    • FSU is 12-5 (1-1).
    • FSU lost to Cleveland St, South Florida, Butler, Providence, and Clemson.
    • Notable victory's = 1 (Georgia Tech by 2)
    • FSU shoots 47% FG, 80% FT, and 37% from 3.
    • Duke shoots 49% FG, 69% FT, and 40% from 3.
    • FSU averages 76 PPG, 34 RPG, 1/1.2 A:TO, 8.9 SPG, and 4.1 BPG.
    • Duke averages 86 PPG, 38 RPG, 1.2/1 A:TO, 8.0 SPG, and 4.3 BPG.

Keys to the game
    I think there are two keys to the game. First, how will the game be called? FSU is going to do a fair amount of driving with favorable match-ups, which means there should be some close calls with Duke's help defense trying to get charges. If the refs are calling it close that favors Duke, more fouls to give.

The second key will be how much does FSU have left in the tank at the end of the game. Duke should be applying alot of pressure and maximizing their substituitions. There is nothing worse for a depleted and tired team than seeing wave after wave of substituitions coming in for the other team while you're holding your shorts gasping for air.

It's a thing of beauty when King is stroking those 3s and they're dropping.

The King! Nice.

Way to buckle down before the half and make them pay!

Haha, Bilas can never say anything good about Duke. I know he has a career to protect, but it borders on the absurd.

First Half

Great first half for Jon Scheyer!! Very good half by Taylor King, and by Gerald Henderson. Probably the worst half of play all year by Paulus and Nelson.

With Paulus playing so poorly, I hoped Smith would pick it up, but in this first half, Smith has only been so-so. Singler simply needs to play a little smarter with his fouls, and he got limited play because of two early fouls. Scheyer, King, and Henderson have carried the Devils the first half. I thought K substituted well the first half.

GMR

Preemptive vote for MOTM.

It's early but put me down for Scheyer.

He had one hell-of-a-game in the first half!

For those watching the ESPN broadcast, was it me or was Lavin trying to use every sports cliche ever invented?

This team is so fun to watch. Scheyer in the first half...who will it be in the second. Demarcus has been quiet on offense. If he breaks out this will be over quick. Defensive pressure has been great.