Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nate James coaching?

At the game tonight, Nate had on a suit and was looking like a coach!! Hopefully, he'll take over the big man's coaching job and help lure some big men to Duke. Anybody know anything about that?

More to the point, what is his role exactly with the team?

I saw him too; a little part of me dies that there was a chant for Giminski and not for Nate. It's funny to think that he was arguably the fan favorite when he played and know he's not recognizable. He had a sharp suit on though.

Anyone know what he was doing/have inside info./care to endlessly speculate?

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    At the game tonight, Nate had on a suit and was looking like a coach!! Hopefully, he'll take over the big man's coaching job and help lure some big men to Duke. Anybody know anything about that?
    Duke has an excellent coach who happens to work with the big men right now. Hopefully he won't be leaving anytime soon -- unless he gets a head coaching gig he wants.

i picked up my tickets right behind him at will-call for the pitt game so he was a lowly spectator like me in december.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    You've only got 6 posts under your belt, so I'll assume you don't know the history of this discussion on these boards. There have been several long, ugly discussions on this topic recently, but the result of all of them was that those who have a good understanding of Duke history and coaching and recruiting will tell you that Duke generally does a very good job of recruiting big men that will fit well at Duke and in Coach K's system, and that Wojo does a very good job of coaching them at it.

If you want to know more about this, I suggest you dig around in older threads about recruiting and big men. Look for threads with LOTS of replies.

As for this thread, I'm gonna delete posts that are related to big men recruiting/coaching. Discussion over what Nate was doing at the game and what role he might have at Duke will be allowed.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Duke has an excellent coach who happens to work with the big men right now. Hopefully he won't be leaving anytime soon -- unless he gets a head coaching gig he wants.
    Agreed, not to mention Nate wasn't a big man at Duke.

Maybe he's here to instruct badassness.

seriously, i wish we could indeed channel James, Carrawell and Battier for the Carolina games this year. Three former Duke BADI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es, indeed.

dth.

For the time being, Nate James is a volunteer assistant coach...that may be changing soon, however.

There is a strong possibility that Mr. James will soon be employed by Duke University in a position involving the new basketball facility. Nothing official yet but the trend lines are pointing in that direction.

Maybe it's me, but I think Andre Buckner was more of a badass than Battier ever was. Unless you're talking about the mystical property of "badassness," which I could see Shane channeling in a more zen way.

Thumbs up kudos to Nate

Carrawell and Nate have done a great job with their summer camp. C.C. (with preggars wife) has just accepted a wonderful job at Duke. Nate deserves similar consideration if the fit is right.

Appaluse to Duke for honoring their own, and finding a way for their former athletes to fit in to system in whatever way is appropriate for each person.

The legacy continues. (In a GOOD way).

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    I saw him too; a little part of me dies that there was a chant for Giminski and not for Nate. It's funny to think that he was arguably the fan favorite when he played and know he's not recognizable.
    No "Nate's a bad-^$%^$%^$%" chant?! Unrecognizable?! I think I'm going to the Clemson game next week...I'm going to the Cameron Crazies and I'ma learns them about the art of bad-assery and the godfather of it all.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

In today's Charlotte Observer

From the Charlotte Observer:
    http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/445233.html

Former Duke forward Nate James was on the bench on Sunday. Coach Mike Krzyzewski said James is a candidate for a new position helping run Duke's soon-to-open practice facility. "He's as good a man as we have ever had around here," Krzyzewski said.

Nate James

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    No "Nate's a bad-^$%^$%^$%" chant?! Unrecognizable?! I think I'm going to the Clemson game next week...I'm going to the Cameron Crazies and I'ma learns them about the art of bad-assery and the godfather of it all.
    I will pass that info on to my daughter so next week-end, perhaps she can start the 'Nate's a Bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.' cheer

There WAS a small "Na-ate Ja-ames" chant (at least they recognized him). His name totally doesn't work for that one though. I got a small group of grad students chanting "Nate's a bad#@", but it kinda died out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Maybe he's here to instruct badassness.
    Oh, how nice that would be! As much as Battier and JWill get all of the credit for Duke's NC in 2001, I think that James was the guy who pushed the team over the top. It is always good to have lunch pail/glue guy on the team. While Scheyer isn't a badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. like James, he's turning into that kind of player. King is another candidate as well.

Simmer, Donald, simmer. We started it during 2nd half warm ups when Nate was just on the baseline while UVa was warming up. Nate didn't exactly acknowledge it, and the undergrads picked it up and changed it into thier ever creative "Play-ers Na-ame" clap-clap clap-clap-clap cheer. You know, the one they do for every player now? Oh wait... except for Demarcus, who get D-D-D-D-mark! Kind of like the old Du-Du-Du-Duhon! (Oh wait... I mean exactly like that.)
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Simmer, Donald, simmer. We started it during 2nd half warm ups when Nate was just on the baseline while UVa was warming up. Nate didn't exactly acknowledge it, and the undergrads picked it up and changed it into thier ever creative "Play-ers Na-ame" clap-clap clap-clap-clap cheer. You know, the one they do for every player now? Oh wait... except for Demarcus, who get D-D-D-D-mark! Kind of like the old Du-Du-Du-Duhon! (Oh wait... I mean exactly like that.)
    We'll have to feed them some suggestions for player cheers instead of "Play-ers Na-ame"...when they force that for some names (like Nate James), it's sounds so bad, especially on tv. It screams "We could come up with something better, but we're lazy"

J, I'm 90% likely to be in the house for the Clemson game next weekend. If that remains the case, I'll be sure to walk over and say what's up.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA