Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: recruits

Quote Originally Posted by devilsfan231 View Post
    well there buddy i didn't see one error i made in that sentance. next your pathetic because i did not doubt his word i doubt your word. your probably a unc fan looking for a little love.
    Hmmm... How to respond. First, let me translate your post into English. "Well there, buddy, I didn't see one error I made in that sentence. Next, you're pathetic, because I did not doubt his word. I doubt your word. You're probably a UNC fan looking for a little love."

I think you're going to find somewhere else to post.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    Let me savor this moment before you get blasted for posting idiocies.

OK, thanks!
    What are our middle schools coming to!

Don't we all have a challenged uncle somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Hmmm... How to respond. First, let me translate your post into English. "Well there, buddy, I didn't see one error I made in that sentence. Next, you're pathetic, because I did not doubt his word. I doubt your word. You're probably a UNC fan looking for a little love."

I think you're going to find somewhere else to post.
    Please, let him stay. His post really made my day.

s.i.

well there buddy i didn't see one error i made in that sentance. next your pathetic because i did not doubt his word i doubt your word. your probably a unc fan looking for a little love.

You have 5 posts...come on dude. Name 15 Duke players all-time without using ESPN or something.

Please everyone, don't respond to this poor guy, it will only encourage him.
    The Gordog

Can this battle between Jumbo and devilsfan be moved to a different thread for those of us interested in continuing discussion of the original (and eminently more interesting) topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Can this battle between Jumbo and devilsfan be moved to a different thread for those of us interested in continuing discussion of the original (and eminently more interesting) topic?
    There's no battle. I'm done with him. I can delete the posts if you like, though.

NO!!!!!

Don't delete and don't ban him. That is the most I have laughed in a week! I am litteraly crying and my sides hurt from laughing so hard!!!!!

You just want to ban him because you're a UNC fan looking for a little love Jumbo! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW we need a poll asking if it's over or not!!!! LMAO!

about riek:

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    The kid scored 2 points in his most recent highschool game. I've never seen the kid play, but this is the most recent article I could find on him and it isn't pretty (I just pasted the first couple paragraphs, not the whole article...delete if that's not allowed):

"SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - John Riek may well play in the NBA one day, but he certainly didn't appear ready on Saturday.

John Riek

The 7-foot-2, 240-pound native of Khartoum, Sudan scored just 2 points on 1-of-6 shooting as his Winchendon (Mass). School beat St. Benedict's Prep, 59-49, at the Hoop Group Tip-Off Classic at Seton Hall.

Winchendon (8-4) won behind 25 points from 6-5 wing Larry Anderson and 21 from Anthony Raffa of Wildwood, N.J. Riek, the former Our Savior of New American star ranked the No. 1 center in the Class of 2008 by Rivals, did have a game-high 12 rebounds and 5 blocks.

"I need to work on offense," said Riek, who is fluent in Arabic and his tribal language of Nuer but speaks limited English.

He averaged 13 points, nine rebounds and four assists last season at Our Savior in Centereach, N.Y., but still has a long way to go offensively.

"He's capable of changing the game defensively," recruiting analyst Tom
    Konchalski said after the game. "Offensively, his game is in its infancy. He has some good habits where he always keeps the ball high.

"The game is a litle too quick for him right now. That's the biggest thing. It's not only a lack of strength, but the game is a little too quick for him. Down the road, he could be an NBA center in a number of years. But the pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow in his case, not at the beginning."

Riek, 18, came to the U.S. in January from the civil war-stricken Sudan, where he has already lost an older brother, Diewo, at the hands of the police.

His coming out party came in July when he wowed scouts at the LeBron James US Skils Academy in Akron, Ohio.

"The NBA scouts who saw him down there told me that he was, beside Roy Hibbert, the second best center prospect draftable," Winchendon coach Mike Byrnes told SI.com's Kevin Armstrong."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...asp?cid=751717

s.i.

Help Me Out

I am not a recruiting guru, far from it. Could someone tell me which players that Coach K is recruiting from the class of 09 would help with one of our problems that exists now...the lack of an inside presence. Anyone who could remind one of Shelden Williams or Elton Brand.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I am not a recruiting guru, far from it. Could someone tell me which players that Coach K is recruiting from the class of 09 would help with one of our problems that exists now...the lack of an inside presence. Anyone who could remind one of Shelden Williams or Elton Brand.

Thank you
    Greg Echenique is at St. Benedict's Prep. He is a strong rebounder and defensive player who has shown the ability to score but is far from polished as an offensive player. He is big at 6'-9" 255:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewpr...2&pr_key=55300

Erik Murphy is taller but slender 6'10.5" and 220. He is reported to be an extremely talented offensive player. He plays at St. Mark's in Southborough, MA.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewpr...=56461&sport=2

Seeing as both these potential Blue Devils play in the Northeast, you might occasionally find articles on them at Adam Zagoria's blog or Dick Weiss' blog.
    Bob Green

The thing to remember is that generally Coach K gets who he wants and second, he gets people who will fit into his scheme. Players who will enhance the team and fit into its character. he may not always go after a top 5 player, but he goes after the top player who will fit.

He also looks at potential 4 year players and not one and out players.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    The kid scored 2 points in his most recent highschool game. I've never seen the kid play, but this is the most recent article I could find on him and it isn't pretty (I just pasted the first couple paragraphs, not the whole article...delete if that's not allowed):

"SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - John Riek may well play in the NBA one day, but he certainly didn't appear ready on Saturday.

John Riek

The 7-foot-2, 240-pound native of Khartoum, Sudan scored just 2 points on 1-of-6 shooting as his Winchendon (Mass). School beat St. Benedict's Prep, 59-49, at the Hoop Group Tip-Off Classic at Seton Hall.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...asp?cid=751717

s.i.
    Wow... that St. Benedict's Prep team must have some good interior defenders. We should be looking at recruiting one of those guys.

cart...horse

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Wow... that St. Benedict's Prep team must have some good interior defenders. We should be looking at recruiting one of those guys.
    It certainly does seem odd to suggest we steer clear of someone because they are "one-and-done" when they can only score 2 points against a highschool team! Right now the guy would be a college "project", let alone a pro project.

s.i.

what's unfair?

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    On the other hand, there are schools (cough, cough) which have no hesitation in offering players who have little chance in succeeding in any college environment. If they can keep him for two years before he flunks out, good enough. Sad, and not fair to the kid.
    I don't like it, either, but I don't see how it's unfair to the kid unless the recruiter makes a cynical pitch about the advantages of having a degree from the institution in question and that's what induces the kid to sign on. I'm not in a position to know, but I doubt that that is typically the main selling point when recruiters talk to prospects who are obviously incapable of staying the course to graduation.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Youtube video

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'll give devilsfan the benefit of the doubt and assume that he/she is taking his/her information from a scout.com or rivals.com chart, which probably hasn't been updated since the summer. Medium interest, high interest, low interest are terms bandied about on those sites.

So here goes. Reeves Nelson hasn't been a credible option since late summer when Duke determined that he was not likely to leave the west coast. His committment to UCLA was not unexpected and has no impact whatsoever on Duke's recruiting plans.

Duke has offered Kenny Boynton, a consensus top-10 combo guard. I don't think I'm betraying any premium info to state that Duke is regarded as the clear favorite for Boynton.

Duke also has offered two premier bigs, Greg Echenique and Eric Murphy. Duke may be close to offering Leslie McDonald and is seriously evaluating DeShawn Painter, Vinson,and maybe Jon Hood. Others may emerge.

Guess what im really wondering, Are one of these bigs(Echenique, Murphy or Painter) really the Answer to Duke's woes? Lack of rebounding, Inside presence etc,..

Duke has long regarded the class of '09 as a class deep in players that can do well at Duke athletically, academically, and socially. I'm not going to rank or handicap any of the above, but I can state categorically that Duke fully expects to sign 3 oor 4 consensus top-30 recruits this coming fall.

As for Riek. There are a couple of red flags. One is the fact that he apparently doesn't speak English very well. Doesn't mean he's stupid or anything. The planet is full of bright people who don't speak English. But they don't attend an academically elite university in the United States. Second, Riek has made no attempt to hide his desire to go NBA as soon as feasible. He has a high ceiling but is very, very raw. He is that rare prospect who could be a lottery pick but probably couldn't start for most top-25 teams. I do not believe Duke is actively recruiting the young man.
    I try and follow recruiting as closely as possible without subscribing to premium sites. You sound pretty confident that Boynton likes Duke, Thats great!

Anyway my question is How does Duke sit with Greg Echenique? Unless of course you cant comment on that. Along with some other Duke fans I am worried about recruiting of bigs. Im not quite so vocal and believe this is the end of Duke like some, But I believe there is SOME concern for worry.
    Last edited by DukeBlood; 01-11-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Added question

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    It certainly does seem odd to suggest we steer clear of someone because they are "one-and-done" when they can only score 2 points against a highschool team! Right now the guy would be a college "project", let alone a pro project.

s.i.
    I was just pointing out that one of the guys who defended Riek was Echenique.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Seen this video and watched him on TV once. I'm no coach, trainer, etc and know much more about football than basketball but I like this kids tenacity, work without the ball, his size, willingness to mix it up, his hands, and ability to alter a shot. The only two things I see I'm uncertain about is that he isn't going to jump out of the gym and his habit of bringing the ball down low (waist high).

Like I said, I've only seen a bit on him but I like him...

Watched an interview on him once and he seemed very well spoken.

DukeBlood,

Duke is confident it will bring in a class that addresses its needs.