Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

McRoberts to NBDL

I guess it is good for him to get some pt but it is never a good sign to get sent down.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/idaho/mcroberts_080109.html

Hi,

I do not think it's a bad sign for one to get sent down to the D League. Look at the average time an NBA player spends in the D League and how much more and better they play upon their return. Player turnover in the D League is tremendous. Their rosters are changing almost daily. I doubt Josh will be there that long.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hi,

I do not think it's a bad sign for one to get sent down to the D League. Look at the average time an NBA player spends in the D League and how much more and better they play upon their return. Player turnover in the D League is tremendous. Their rosters are changing almost daily. I doubt Josh will be there that long.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey
    What is the average time an NBA player spends in the D League? Any prime examples of recent players pre vs. post D League stats to demonstrate improvement?

I think he should put up some huge numbers there b/c looking at game stats I see guys with much less skills putting up huge numbers. The games often get in to the 120s. For example Kris Lang puts up numbers in the NBDL.

Quote Originally Posted by tweeze View Post
    I think he should put up some huge numbers there b/c looking at game stats I see guys with much less skills putting up huge numbers. The games often get in to the 120s. For example Kris Lang puts up numbers in the NBDL.
    Hi,

I strongly agree. IMO, many D games are akin to watching a pick-up game.

IMO, the D time should be really good for Josh's confidence, strength, rehab, etc.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    What is the average time an NBA player spends in the D League?
    Less than two weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Any prime examples of recent players pre vs. post D League stats to demonstrate improvement?
    Here's an example of a PG who spent about 10 days in the D League in December:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player?statsId=4304

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Both Travis Outlaw and Martel Webster were sent to the NBDL previously by Portland with pretty good success (both are 11+ppg 4-5rpg guys now).

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    Both Travis Outlaw and Martel Webster were sent to the NBDL previously by Portland with pretty good success (both are 11+ppg 4-5rpg guys now).
    Not only that, but both of them have the chance to be really good (they're both really young too). Basically, going to the NBDL isn't a death sentence.

I do think that McBob is in the future plans of the Blazers not as a starter but as a key reserve, his athletisms and passing ability could be used by any team.

An update on Josh's progress in the NBDL from draftexpress:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-McRoberts-227/

Doesn't sound too good for him right now, I bet he is regreting leaving Duke now.

Wow, that was a harsh critique. I wonder if it is based more upon his reputation or upon the way he actually played (how much bias?) but either way he doesn't seem to be doing well. Maybe he should talk to C-well, who said in the article the other day that he blew his shot at the NBA because he thought he was entitled to it and went in with a bad attitude when he was drafted in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Wow, that was a harsh critique. I wonder if it is based more upon his reputation or upon the way he actually played (how much bias?) but either way he doesn't seem to be doing well. Maybe he should talk to C-well, who said in the article the other day that he blew his shot at the NBA because he thought he was entitled to it and went in with a bad attitude when he was drafted in the second round.
    C-Well shared that same story with the campers at the C-Well/NateJames Basketball camp last summer. It had a big impact on some of the kids.

I hope the fact that they are both Duke employees now doesn't keep them from holding their own camp (I'm thinking they might work the Duke camp insead). My son has gone to both. He had a lot of fun at the Duke camp, but it was weak on instruction. He learned a lot more at the James/C-Well camp.

I watched a lot of that game last night (Idaho Stampede versus the Fort Wayne "Mad Ants"; until I realized Cavaliers Spurs was on TNT instead), and the review was spot on. He looked TERRIBLE. He was disinterested, lazy on defense and clueless on offense. His shot, which was never very good, was horrible too (he's shooting about 28% from the field so far). One of his field goals was a viscious dunk. . . on nobody (the defender played classic "ole" defense). Take that away, and he was 1-9. He's rebounding ok, but thats about all. I wouldn't look to see him play for the Trailblazers anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tweeze View Post
    You're telling me this guy is still playing professional basketball?

Wish we had a league like that.

We could use it for our bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Actually seems to be held in high regard, although at age 28 it better be soon or never. Might be better off picking up a nice paycheck in Europe.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kris-Lang-5126/

"All in all, Lang is a useful player who might even have a chance to get called up by some NBA team looking for a backup center who brings defense, rebounding, intelligence, and consistent effort whenever he’s called upon. He’s not a super talented player, but there is a lot to be said for the consistency he brings to the table. Some of the biggest teams in Europe are waiting in the background in case he decides to cross back over the Atlantic again."
    Last edited by hondoheel; 01-18-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: insert end quote

None of this surprises me at all. McBobs was a physically talented player with a lousy attitude and few skills. Although his inside defense (passable) and
    rebounding could be useful, overall, I don't think Duke would be any better if he were still here. Looks like he's well on his way to becoming another Chris Burgess; an athletic 6-10 white boy with no basketballs skills who washed out in the NBA. Maybe he and Burgess can go play together overseas!

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    None of this surprises me at all. McBobs was a physically talented player with a lousy attitude and few skills. overall, I don't think Duke would be any better if he were still here.
    Gotta disagree with you on that. With McRoberts Duke is arguably the best team in the nation. As of today I feel confident saying Duke (and Tennessee) are two teams a notch below the "Big 4" but better than the rest. I believe Duke and Tennessee are the 5th and 6th best teams in America (in no order). With McRoberts, Duke is in that top 4, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

Does he still do that frog dance after a dunk?

We most definitely would be a top tier team if we had McBob back. Remember, compare him to the guy who's place he would take in the starting lineup. I most definitely think he is more skilled offensively than Lance Thomas (as far as passing and ball handling, neither is a very good shooter), and his defense and rebounding are comparable.

Nobody is saying he's better than Singler, but if we could play BOTH of them, we would be quite formidable, and nobody would question our toughness inside or rebounding. I'm impressed as anyone else with our rebounding for our size, but he would help. He still does average ~7.0 rebounds per game in the NBDL.

However, another year under his belt would probably hurt his draft status even worse than two years already did.