Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zoubek breaks foot--again

Duke press release

"Duke sophomore center Brian Zoubek will be sidelined indefinitely after suffering a fifth metatarsal fracture in his left foot on Monday. The injury is not expected to require surgery.

Zoubek suffered the same injury during a pickup game on July 9 and missed 10 weeks of action after undergoing surgery on July 11.

“This is a setback for Brian and for the team,” said Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. “He worked hard to recover from the injury over the summer and was beginning to solidify his role with the team. We have total confidence that Brian will recover from the injury and return as soon as he is physically able.”

The 7-1 Zoubek is averaging 4.3 points and 3.7 rebounds per game, while shooting a team-high 59.5 percent (22-of-37) from the field this season."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke press release

"Duke sophomore center Brian Zoubek will be sidelined indefinitely after suffering a fifth metatarsal fracture in his left foot on Monday. The injury is not expected to require surgery.

Zoubek suffered the same injury during a pickup game on July 9 and missed 10 weeks of action after undergoing surgery on July 11.

“This is a setback for Brian and for the team,” said Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. “He worked hard to recover from the injury over the summer and was beginning to solidify his role with the team. We have total confidence that Brian will recover from the injury and return as soon as he is physically able.”

The 7-1 Zoubek is averaging 4.3 points and 3.7 rebounds per game, while shooting a team-high 59.5 percent (22-of-37) from the field this season."
    Crangit! That's gonna hurt. Duke needs someone that can eat up some space down low, grab some rebounds and take some hacks at larger opposing teams. He seems kind of like a 2007-08 version of Clay Buckley.

Any 7'-plus walk-on candidates on the Duke campus?

-EarlJam

this is definatly a bummer and a set back. i know zoubek isn't an impact player this year, but if he could stay healthy (which seems impossible for him) at least by time his junior/senior he could of been a force down low, or a solid rebounder.

he has GOT TO stay healthy, thats all their is too it. but for now, lets just worry about duke basketball, and be thankful it wasn't an impact player that this happened too.

Bummer.

Perhaps this will give Lance and David a chance to step up - something they are both very capable of doing.

I say start Dave b/c while he doesn't score many points he is the best defender and rebounder out of the possible candidates. He is undersized but we don't have anyone of the size needed anyway. Lance will get most of the time b/c he is the better athelet of the candidates. Bad part is that Lance and Dave are really SF not even PF and defenitely Cs.

Great

As a Buckeye football fan, this week just keeps getting better and better...

Whether or not Lance Thomas can get it together just became even more important to the welfare of this basketball team.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    As a Buckeye football fan, this week just keeps getting better and better...
    tough loss last night. but just being realistic, ohio state is good, but look at the CONFERENCE they play in... compared to LSU they have 0 experience when it comes to tough games.

need a thug

I think what we need to do is find a thug from the football team to provide some muscle. I don't mean anything dirty or intending to hurt the other team, I just mean we need to find a big ol' body to fill up the middle, keep other teams honest inside, and most importantly, give us some toughness. This person doesn't need to score, he just needs to intimidate the other team to the extent that they don't feel like they can push Duke around. Julius Peppers filled this role for Carolina a few years back. I suggest we do the same.

Vince Oghabaase, six feet, six inches. 310 lbs.

VO

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Vince Oghabaase, six feet, six inches. 310 lbs.
    I thought VO had 'slimmed' down to about 295 to improve his speed/explosiveness

Go Vince!!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    As long as Vince can "play the piano" or sack quarterbacks, he's at a good weight. Does he have any brothers or cousins?

Didn't we talk about this during football season?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Darn! I REALLY wanted to hear Dan Bonner try to pronounce VO!!

Is there any hope for Tauiliili?

While we're at it, perhaps we could get someone from the soccer team to hit field goals (or in this case, free throws).

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Darn! I REALLY wanted to hear Dan Bonner try to pronounce VO!!

Is there any hope for Tauiliili?

While we're at it, perhaps we could get someone from the soccer team to hit field goals (or in this case, free throws).

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Actually, if Zoub had cross trained by playing soccer, his balance and weight distribution on his feet would ahve been much better and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Say, did I ever tell you guys about my theories about soccer and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Actually, if Zoub had cross trained by playing soccer, his balance and weight distribution on his feet would ahve been much better and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Say, did I ever tell you guys about my theories about soccer and . . . .
    like, say, akeem?

Remember Geoff Northrup?

If you do, you're really old. He probably should have been mentioned in the Tate Armstrong thread, because he was pressed into service in 1977.
    Maybe he's got eligibility. About 6'6", but not really an inside player.

Brunson played 7 minutes in 1994. He sat out 1995 after surgery and played 191 minutes in 1996.

Heaps played 16 minutes in 1996, 21 minutes in 1997, 22 minutes in 1998, and 10 minutes in 1999.

Brunson did get some significant PT in 1996 after injuries to Langdon, Wallace, Collins, Wojo, and Christensen had depleted Duke's bench. Duke lost its ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament openers with this lineup.

So neither Brunson nor Heaps gave Duke significant minutes in their first season as basketball walk-ons and Brunson as a fifth-year senior only after beaucoups of injuries. I respect the contributions both made but neither provides an especially promising scenario.

going back a bit farther...

Didn't Bobby Hurley break his foot in the 1991-92 season? I remember because McCaffrey had transferred to Vandy in order to get more time playing point guard. Grant Hill played point while Hurley was out.

Crap. We still have the players to do well but I hope this doesn't hurt our depth too much. I guess this will force K to play King and Thomas a little more unlike Sunday. WE SHALL PREVAIL! BELIEVE!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Brunson played 7 minutes in 1994. He sat out 1995 after surgery and played 191 minutes in 1996.

Heaps played 16 minutes in 1996, 21 minutes in 1997, 22 minutes in 1998, and 10 minutes in 1999.

Brunson did get some significant PT in 1996 after injuries to Langdon, Wallace, Collins, Wojo, and Christensen had depleted Duke's bench. Duke lost its ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament openers with this lineup.

So neither Brunson nor Heaps gave Duke significant minutes in their first season as basketball walk-ons and Brunson as a fifth-year senior only after beaucoups of injuries. I respect the contributions both made but neither provides an especially promising scenario.
    stan actually averaged 9.1 minutes per game in the 21 games he played in 1996, which isn't that far off zoubek's 11.7/game this year. however, this year's team is much deeper and better than the 1996 team so, even if a clone of stan appeared on campus, i highly doubt that he would cut into any of the scholarship players' minutes.

Who gets Zoubek's minutes?

Through 12 games, Zoubek was averaging 11.7 minutes per game. Who sees more PT as a result of the injury? Lance Thomas? Dave McClure? Taylor KIng? Or do all three share the minutes?
    Bob Green