UNC Recruit Larry Drew

I saw UNC's point guard Commit for next year, Larry Drew, in the Glaxo tournament out in Raleigh yesterday, playing against Jordan High School, a public school in Durham. Drew honestly didn't really impress. His team (Taft High from CA) was miles better than Jordan was but he never really seemed into the game or like he cared very much. Taft ended up winning by over 20, but Drew only had 12 pts and 4 or 5 assists in a game that was mostly a fast break show. He doesn't seem to have the extra gear that Lawson/Felton had, and reminds me more of QT or Frasor. His shot looks mediocre.

He played pretty solid D, but I think the ineptitude of Jordan's guards facing the full-court press had a lot more to do with it than Drew's D. However, Drew did seem to know where to put the ball in order to help his teammates score. He probably could have had more assists had people finished or if his teammates hadn't made the extra pass. Maybe this passing ability was the reason he was recruited, but from what I saw of the rest of his game, I don't know if there is much there. I may have caught him on an off day, but while facing a mediocre opponent, he didn't really shine.

UNC's Big Step Back

Next year, IF, and ONLY IF, Lawson goes pro. I like Frasor, but he is not a superstar. He is definitely a combo guard who is not a natural (or great) pg. But, he is a good outside shooter, so at least he has one very good skill to rely on.

Not so with Drew. UNC needs a PG should Lawson go pro, so Ol Roy went after Drew early on, when LD was highly ranked. His ranking flat lined this summer, but UNC was kind of stuck. Roy realizes that while Frasor, whom I hope has a speedy recovery, is not the kind of PG that will get the kind of results that UNC is used to. He is a quality player, capable of spelling either the PG or the SG (who may also have to be replaced), but Roy needs a lead PG.

Drew might not be it. Frankly, I don't think he cracks Duke's rotation if he were to arrive in Durham next year. Roy offered the kid based on a solid career, but this past summer showed that Drew is nothing special, and that is in a BAD class.

I predict a quick recruit over next year by Roy. Next year will see the end of Frasor, who is at least a quality, ACC-Level PG. I am not sure Drew has that ability. He is not a special athlete, and he is short, and he cannot shoot. How he fares could be a real Key to the ACC next year, and beyond.

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by nicktonyg22 View Post
    I saw UNC's point guard Commit for next year, Larry Drew, in the Glaxo tournament out in Raleigh yesterday, playing against Jordan High School, a public school in Durham. Drew honestly didn't really impress. His team (Taft High from CA) was miles better than Jordan was but he never really seemed into the game or like he cared very much. Taft ended up winning by over 20, but Drew only had 12 pts and 4 or 5 assists in a game that was mostly a fast break show. He doesn't seem to have the extra gear that Lawson/Felton had, and reminds me more of QT or Frasor. His shot looks mediocre.

He played pretty solid D, but I think the ineptitude of Jordan's guards facing the full-court press had a lot more to do with it than Drew's D. However, Drew did seem to know where to put the ball in order to help his teammates score. He probably could have had more assists had people finished or if his teammates hadn't made the extra pass. Maybe this passing ability was the reason he was recruited, but from what I saw of the rest of his game, I don't know if there is much there. I may have caught him on an off day, but while facing a mediocre opponent, he didn't really shine.
    I don't think he is a big time recruit while I haven't seen him play I have read about him and the other Unc recruits. I just see him as a backup he is not the future PG after Lawson. If Lawson leaves it will be Frasor if he is fully healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    ...Roy needs a lead PG.

Drew might not be it. Frankly, I don't think he cracks Duke's rotation if he were to arrive in Durham next year. Roy offered the kid based on a solid career, but this past summer showed that Drew is nothing special, and that is in a BAD class.

I predict a quick recruit over next year by Roy. Next year will see the end of Frasor, who is at least a quality, ACC-Level PG. I am not sure Drew has that ability. He is not a special athlete, and he is short, and he cannot shoot. How he fares could be a real Key to the ACC next year, and beyond.
    UNC is in a real pickle.

They will have huge trouble recruiting a stud PG in the 2009 class because they already have a committment from 2010 PG Kendall Marshall, who is widely considered one of the top 2 or 3 PGs in the 2010 class.

But that leaves Carolina with a potential HUGE HOLE at PG the next 2 seasons (or maybe just one season if Lawson sticks around for his senior year, a situation which would seem very unlikely).

Larry Drew must, must, must be better than almost everyone thinks he will be or Carolina is going to be somewhat rudderless in 2009 and 2010.

And let me add this-- if Frasor's recovery is slower than expected and Lawson does turn pro, might that also encourage Hasbro to turn pro? Why would Hasbro want to come back for his senior campaign if he is going to be surrounded by lousy guards who have trouble getting him the ball in proper position.

Next year could be a HUGE rebuliding year for the Heels.

--Jason "I doubt they will lose too much sleep over it for now-- as ity is easy to not think about next year when you are this good this year" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    UNC is in a real pickle.

They will have huge trouble recruiting a stud PG in the 2009 class because they already have a committment from 2010 PG Kendall Marshall, who is widely considered one of the top 2 or 3 PGs in the 2010 class.

But that leaves Carolina with a potential HUGE HOLE at PG the next 2 seasons (or maybe just one season if Lawson sticks around for his senior year, a situation which would seem very unlikely).

Larry Drew must, must, must be better than almost everyone thinks he will be or Carolina is going to be somewhat rudderless in 2009 and 2010.

And let me add this-- if Frasor's recovery is slower than expected and Lawson does turn pro, might that also encourage Hasbro to turn pro? Why would Hasbro want to come back for his senior campaign if he is going to be surrounded by lousy guards who have trouble getting him the ball in proper position.

Next year could be a HUGE rebuliding year for the Heels.

--Jason "I doubt they will lose too much sleep over it for now-- as ity is easy to not think about next year when you are this good this year" Evans
    The buzz from my UNC friends is that UNC is in the top two for Dexter Strickland, an '09 guy that some have listed as the top PG in the class. I gather he leans more toward being a combo guard than a Lawson/Felton beep-beep point guard. The key, according to them, is that their '10 commit is okay with competing for playing time or waiting his turn if better players are ahead of him.

As for Drew, I've heard conflicting reports. Some say he can't shoot, or at least make. Others say he's a decent shooter if left alone. Some say his reputation was built on advanced knowledge of the game and that other players have caught up and surpassed him as they matured. Others say that he will be one of those annoying guys who always seems to get more out of his game than his skills would suggest possible. Hard to get a read on this guy.

As for Frasor's injury. I think it would have to weigh in the mind of any of their early entry capable players. How could it not given that he is a teammate and as such brings the possibility of injury that much closer to home?