Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Demarcus Little brother

On the horizon is another Nelson, Darius Nelson brother of Markie who is a 6'6 220 lb 15 year old Freshman at Demarcus alma mater Sheldon High School out here in California. As of today he is leading the varsity team in scoring and rebounding 21 PPG/9 RPG through nine games and also wears #21.

He was ranked as the 61st best 7th grader in the nation in 2005.

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/membe...aders-230.html

If ranking 7th graders isn't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, then I don't know what is. Seriously, 7th grade?!?! How could that ranking be any close to accurate? Some people have too much time on their hands to try to evaluate kids at such a young age...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

If ranking 7th graders isn't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, then I don't know what is. Seriously, 7th grade?!?! How could that ranking be any close to accurate? Some people have too much time on their hands to try to evaluate kids at such a young age...
    they rank 5th graders. It sells mags.

Thumbs up You Go Boy

I HATE the idea that kids this young (and younger) are "ranked/rated." But having seen Darius play several times -- this kid is also (like Markie) the REAL DEAL.

I expect he'll grow another few inches (or more), and even if not, he's remarkable.

I sincerely hope that Markie's experience at Duke (both with sports and more importantly education) will help him point his bro toward the right choice -- an education and CIS.

Darius is a good one!!!!

6'6" 220 as a freshman in HS, Yikes! Let's hope his big brother convinces him to come to Duke in a few years. (Something that might be pretty convincing: a national championship!...like say, for instance, the 2008 national championship?)

Greg Paulus

Quote Originally Posted by nicktonyg22 View Post
    6'6" 220 as a freshman in HS, Yikes! Let's hope his big brother convinces him to come to Duke in a few years. (Something that might be pretty convincing: a national championship!...like say, for instance, the 2008 national championship?)
    Greg couldn't convince his brother to come to Duke and compete as a QB...Anyway it is a very, very long way off.

Capel

what was the story with Jason Capel? Did Duke not recruit him at all? Or did he just want to make a name for himself without being under the potential shadow of his brother?

As for the comparison to Paulus' brother, it should be easier to convince a star athlete in basketball to play basketball at Duke than it is to convince a star football player to play football at Duke.

Bloodlines

Fortunately, the only guy out there ranking guys in junior high appears to be Clark Francis.

As Darius Nelson, the early word on him is that along with his size and strength he's also a very skilled player. Despite being a freshman Nelson is one of the better players on his HS team. The other leading player is another freshman, 6-8 Ramon Eaton.

Oh yeah, Eaton happens to be a cousin of the Nelson brothers.

Capel the younger

Jason Capel was never a really major target for Duke. He was in the class of 1998 which wasn't a year Duke looked to offer a lot of scholarships since it was right after the Brand-Battier-Burgess-Avery class and 2 years after the Carrawell-James-Chappell class.

That year the top targets were Dane Fife, Corey Maggette, and Danny Miller.

Speaking of younger brothers, does anyone know if Chris Duhon's brother plays, or if he's any good? It seems like based on his treatment while Chris played he would almost be a lock to come here.

Capels

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    what was the story with Jason Capel? Did Duke not recruit him at all? Or did he just want to make a name for himself without being under the potential shadow of his brother?

As for the comparison to Paulus' brother, it should be easier to convince a star athlete in basketball to play basketball at Duke than it is to convince a star football player to play football at Duke.
    I don't know if Jason Capel was recruited by Duke, but I think he was. But has anyone thought about the disasters both of them had their senior years. 1995 was Jeff's, and that was the year Coach K went down and we all remember Capel's shot against UNC. But we didn't win the game and the season was a wash.

As for Jason his senior year was the beautiful 8-20 season for the heels! I'm not saying they are jinxed, but man they might be jinxed. The thing I remember most about Jason Capel was Maggette coming down on a fast break and faking Jason out so badly with a spin move his jock strap was laying on the floor.

I agree with jma, getting anyone to come to Duke in the shape Duke football is / was in is like getting someone to hire Mike Nifong as a competent attorney.

AS I recall Capel was ranked #1 by some his freshman year in HS. He would frequently be seen in the stands with his Dad watching Jeff. He was very tall early but never very quick. I can't see him playing much for Duke.

Capels

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    I don't know if Jason Capel was recruited by Duke, but I think he was. But has anyone thought about the disasters both of them had their senior years. 1995 was Jeff's, and that was the year Coach K went down and we all remember Capel's shot against UNC. But we didn't win the game and the season was a wash.
    Jeff Capel's senior year was actually 1997. An off an on year for Jeff, a fairly solid comeback year for Duke. Jason Capel was a disappointing player for some terrible Heels teams and probably wouldn't have seen the court for us much had he played for Duke during that time instead. I think that the Jason Capel highlight that most Duke fan's think of first is when Maggette crossed him over and made him look stupid in the later stages of a Duke blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post

I think that there was a little bad blood for after way some of the Duke fan base treated Jeff in his last couple of years. He unfairly got blamed for some of the teams struggles in 95 and 96. I think it was because he showed so much promise as a freshman and was a big part of the 94 final four but never turned into a major star. He was always a solid player but never really broke out.
    Jason apparently didn't really like how his big brother was treated by the fans and I think that may have played into his decision to go to UNC

my 2nd grade nephew is the number 3 shooting guard according to rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    my 2nd grade nephew is the number 3 shooting guard according to rivals.
    Oh yeah! I think I've seen highlight videos of him on YouTube...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Despite being a freshman Nelson is one of the better players on his HS team. The other leading player is another freshman, 6-8 Ramon Eaton.
    6-6 and 6-8 freshmen? Wow... what is happening to these kids. When I was in high school many, many years ago, the tallest guy in the state was 6-7, and he was a senior, and he was definitely one of the few "6-footers". The tallest guy on my HS team was 6-0. And the conference my HS was in... he may have been the tallest. (full disclosure... I'm 5-5 and was probably a bit shorter in HS)

Height

I have seen him listed from 6' 3" to 6' 6" and who knows if either is accurate.
    Here he is 6' 3"

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_7807611

Demarcus is listed at 6' 4" and it is hard to believe he is 6' 1".

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

Here are Clark "in the dark" Francis' rankings of the Class of 2011 updated as of a couple months ago. Shockingly, he has dropped Darius waaay down his list. As recently as this summer he had Darius in the top 30 nationally, but now he has him down at #110. Whoa!!!!

The Nelson cousin, Ramone Eaton, is #6 in the class. I saw a list earlier this year that had him as the #1 player in the class.

--Jason "Clark Francis cracks me up-- wasn't he the guy who got tricked into ranking a kid who did not exist a few years back?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    6-6 and 6-8 freshmen? Wow... what is happening to these kids. When I was in high school many, many years ago, the tallest guy in the state was 6-7, and he was a senior, and he was definitely one of the few "6-footers". The tallest guy on my HS team was 6-0. And the conference my HS was in... he may have been the tallest. (full disclosure... I'm 5-5 and was probably a bit shorter in HS)
    You grew up in a land of Lilliputians!