After the discussion on the post about pre-Coach K players I'd like some feedback and suggestions. My plan is to do a painting (now that the Christmas rush is over.) entitled "Foundations", and have it be a montage of ten GREAT Duke basketball players from back in the day to now. Originally when I got the idea I had planned to do the simple thing and paint the Duke retired jersey players in action. But with all the points made about players from yesteryear I'm not sure that would be the truly fair thing to do.

When I am done with the painting (and in case anyone is wondering I am VERY good) I plan to donate it to either the athletic department to raise money. Or send to Coach K to donate to the Duke Children's Hospital to make prints of and sell. I think 3 players Laettner, Dawkins and Gminkski are automatic selections, because well, they are my favorites and I'm doing the painting. As for players 7-10 I'd like feedback on whom else should go on the work of art. They don't necessarily have to have their jersey retired. And this isn't based on the popularity contest the polls a few months ago were. I also don't require the player to have graduated yet, so any of the present NBA guys who have yet to get their degree can be considered as well. I do want three players (at least) from the pre-Coach K era other than the G-man. I'll leave it up to posters to pick who I use.

Finally with all these players photos can be hard to come by, especially ones from back in the day. I don't know the legal ramifications for using certain pictures to paint from. So input from any legal guru's would be beneficial as well. If anyone out there has some good action shots of past Duke greats they could e-mail please let me know too. (NBA action shots are fine too as I can easily change the jersey back to a Duke uniform.) Thank you for any input and assistance.

William G. Latta