Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 133-15

I'm pretty sure that both Singler and King turned turned 19 last May in high school. I have no idea whether Singler is ready for the pros but, IMO, he is playing out of position by necessity. He is a good ballhandler and passer, a decent rebounder and defensive player, and he can hit both the deep ball as well as mid-range shots and he can drive to the hoop. Whether he can guard the small forwards in the NBA is the big question, IMO. I'd love for him to stay 3-4 years. He is a terrific player now and will only get better.

gw67

the ncaa record for wins

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Shane's 133 wins in 4 years is the NCAA record. I'd say it is highly unlikely any class could beat it.
    While Duke's record in Shane's four years is 133 wins, he actually missed two games during the 1998-99 season -- he was sick with the flu on Nov. 27, when Duke beat Fresno State 93-82 in the semifinals of the Great Alaskan Shootout and he missed the Feb. 27 regular season finale -- an 81-61 rout of UNC in Chapel Hill -- with a sprained ankle.

The way the NCAA counts it, you only get credit for games in which you appear (you don't have to start or score any points, but you do have to be on the court for at least a second of gametime).

Battier is credited by the NCAA with 131 career wins which is TIED for the NCAA record with Wayne Turner of Kentucky. Interestingly, Battier could have claimed the record for himself if Duke could have held on against Kentucky in the Southeast Regional title game in 1998.

Yes, Shane played with a lot of other good players, but it wasn't like he was some hanger-on. He was a key supporting player in 1998 and 1999 and was arguably the key player on the 2000 and 2001 teams. He was 11-1 in ACC tournament play. He played on three teams that finished No. 1 in the nation. And he was 16-3 in NCAA play with a national title and a runnerup trophy. He was a two-time All-American, the 2001 national player of the year, a three-time national defensive player of the year. And he was an academic All-American.

Pretty good career.

I don't have the full NCAA list of top winners, but I do have access to the ACC list. Battier's 131 wins are eight more than the 123 won by Chris Duhon. There's a three-way tie at 122 between Laettner, James and Ferry. The top 11 spots are all filled by Duke players. UNC's Sam Perkins is tied with Bobby Hurley and Daniel Ewing for 12th place with 115 career wins.

Remember, these are for wins actually played in ... NOT wins your team won while you were on the roster

Wins

UCLA, had the best percentage over the four year span, but the most wins belong to Duke over the 4 year period.

career wins

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    UCLA, had the best percentage over the four year span, but the most wins belong to Duke over the 4 year period.
    And remember, when UCLA was posting those gaudy four-year records in the 1960s and early 1970s, freshmen were ineligible for varsity competition.

Lew Alcindor (his name at the time) was 88-2 in his three varsity seasons at UCLA (30-0, 29-1, 29-1). That's the best winning percentage I can find (and I'm pretty sure Alcindor played in every game for three years) -- but even if he had played as a freshman, he wouldn't have had as many wins as Battier. UCLA just didn't play as many games in that era.

Let's see, Bill Walton was 86-4 (30-0, 30-0, 26-4) ... also a better percentage, but not as many wins (and wouldn't have been with four years).