Unhappy RIP: Double Gamblers

This was in Monday's N&O. The Rat closed about two weeks ago due mainly to failure to pay taxes. Can't mess with Uncle Sam, no matter the tradition.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/ora...ry/846421.html

There's a chance it may reopen next year. My arteries hope it doesn't but my taste buds hope it does.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

the Rat'

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    This was in Monday's N&O. The Rat closed about two weeks ago due mainly to failure to pay taxes. Can't mess with Uncle Sam, no matter the tradition.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/ora...ry/846421.html

There's a chance it may reopen next year. My arteries hope it doesn't but my taste buds hope it does.
    I was wondering when you'd notice that, OZZIE. Wearing you black armband yet in mourning? Never fear about your arteries, make enought trips to NYC(hack, cough, CARNEGIE), and you will keep plugging them up and I will not be far behind.

When did the Rathskeller in the Bryan Center close? I vaguely remember going there on game days with my Dad a long time ago (late-80's).

double gamblers/the Rat'

Quote Originally Posted by uncwdevil View Post
    When did the Rathskeller in the Bryan Center close? I vaguely remember going there on game days with my Dad a long time ago (late-80's).
    O thou lean in years, the great OZZIE and I are lamenting the Rat' in chappaheeya and their lasagna and gambler/double gambler steaks and not the Rat' on Duke's campus, which I never knew existed. How 'bout you, OZ?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    O thou lean in years, the great OZZIE and I are lamenting the Rat' in chappaheeya and their lasagna and gambler/double gambler steaks and not the Rat' on Duke's campus, which I never knew existed. How 'bout you, OZ?
    That's news to me, too. A Rat in the Bryan Center? I didn't see it 2 weeks ago when I bought my future son-in-law his first Duke T-shirt and hat.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    That's news to me, too. A Rat in the Bryan Center? I didn't see it 2 weeks ago when I bought my future son-in-law his first Duke T-shirt and hat.
    hmm, it would have been about 20 yrs ago or so

i guess it could have been the one in CH that i'm thinking of, but i doubt it

The Duke Rat was in the BC through the early 90s.

Aound 1994 or 95, they brought in a Wendy's I think, and may have done something with the Rat as part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

Aound 1994 or 95, they brought in a Wendy's I think, and may have done something with the Rat as part of this.
    sweet! so i'm not crazy

the Rat'

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

That explains it then as we were on campus from '72-76(that's 1972-1976, OZ and I are not THAT old ), and I was not on campus much again until 2003-2007 when my son was there.

The BC Rat was around in the latter half of the 80's, then it was later "the Terraces Cafe" or some such name, then a Frogurt/Ice Cream place. I don't recall what it was on recent visits, if anything.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

the BC rat

A restaurant called the Rathskeller existed in the BC until ~2000, when it was turned into the Armadillo Grill (and taproom)...

There was never a Wendy's in the BC, AFAIK. Burger King gave way to the short-lived "Mean Gene's," which ceded to McDonalds in 2000

BC Rathskeller memories

As a student, I worked at the BC Rathskeller, running the registers, mopping the floors and slinging chocolate malts/cappucinos/frozen yogurts/beers at "Licks", the ice cream joint that was within the Rathskeller. Licks had the Rolling Stones lips logo attached to its wall, which gave it some cachet. It was a great way to hang with some hot girls that wanted their sweet treat without the fat content. The Rat served a mostly mediocre array of fast-food options including burgers, fries, o-rings, burritos and taco salads. I wonder what ever happened to that Licks logo?