Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    So when did you become aware if Duke basketball?
    Summer between 8th and 9th grade, caught varsity coach's eye. He put me on the freshman team, a buddy was into Street and Smith's, the lone magazine at the time that put out a college basketball edition, started meeting some of my high school's luminaries, and then Art showed up at my high school. Remember seeing Mullins and Art on TV. Mullins sticks out in my mind much more than Art from that game. Amazing the things a guy remembers.

Oh, add Jimmy V to that mix. Saw him play for his old man when I was a freshman and he was a senior. He was okay, not great, that game. He could preen though, I remember him checking out our cheerleaders and perusing the stands more then shooting during warm ups. Amazing the things a guy remembers. Only saw Larry play once; Brent's old man took me along to the last game of the Olympic trials; it was held at St Johns. Don't remember much about the game. Remember being at the hotel where the players were staying. Bad News and Staleworth were sitting at the counter. Bad News pointed at this iced cake with a slice or two out of it and said to the waitress, I'll have that. She started to pick up a cake knife, Bad News interrupts, "No, I'll have that, all of it." The things . . . . Later.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Summer between 8th and 9th grade, caught varsity coach's eye. He put me on the freshman team, a buddy was into Street and Smith's, the lone magazine at the time that put out a college basketball edition, started meeting some of my high school's luminaries, and then Art showed up at my high school. Remember seeing Mullins and Art on TV. Mullins sticks out in my mind much more than Art from that game. Amazing the things a guy remembers.

Oh, add Jimmy V to that mix. Saw him play for his old man when I was a freshman and he was a senior. He was okay, not great, that game. He could preen though, I remember him checking out our cheerleaders and perusing the stands more then shooting during warm ups. Amazing the things a guy remembers. Only saw Larry play once; Brent's old man took me along to the last game of the Olympic trials; it was held at St Johns. Don't remember much about the game. Remember being at the hotel where the players were staying. Bad News and Staleworth were sitting at the counter. Bad News pointed at this iced cake with a slice or two out of it and said to the waitress, I'll have that. She started to pick up a cake knife, Bad News interrupts, "No, I'll have that, all of it." The things . . . . Later.
    One of the most interesting ways to get to know people is to ask when they discovered basketball whether it's a particular school they follow or the game in general.

Where I grew up the availability of basketball games on TV was a major break through. Even though we were a "Duke family," I remember staying up to watch the 1957 black and white grainy looking game between UNC and Kansas for the NCAA title. Each year when the ACC tournament was being played, most people had to resort to their radios, but TV soon became the medium. Somehow we were allowed to watch the ACC tournament on TV during school. Once Vic Bubas was hired, our family drive down to Durham for football and basketball games... State, Carolina, others. Tickets for games in Indoor Stadium were $2.50 per ticket, sold for individual games, not much said about buying season's tickets. Football tickets were $4.50. I don't remember which game was the first basketball game our family went to, but I do remember Art Heyman. We would go to see him play in Durham and we'd go to see him play when Duke came to WS to play Wake Forest. (This was the era of Dave Budd, Len Chappell and yes, Billy Packer.) As many outstanding players as we've seen wear the Duke uniform over the years, none have had the bigger than life presence Artie did when he played at Duke. Man, could he shoot! In many games he looked like a shooting machine and a rebounding machine all in one. Once Jeff Mullins was on the varsity, too, it truly was magical to see Duke play. The atmosphere for many games felt like history in the making. No other coach got as much from Artie as Vic Bubas did. Artie graduated in the spring before I enrolled, but Jeff was still there for a great senior season. Verga enrolled along with Bob Reidy that same fall. Steve Vacendack was on the varsity. I remember junior year being in Dr. William Hayes "Suitcase" Simpson's poli sci class with Bob Reidy. Whenever Dr. Simpson greeted Bob before class, it was "Ready, Reidy?" It was a heady time to be at Duke! I loved every minute of it!

I remember junior year being in Dr. William Hayes "Suitcase" Simpson's poli sci class with Bob Reidy. Whenever Dr. Simpson greeted Bob before class, it was "Ready, Reidy?" It was a heady time to be at Duke! I loved every minute of it!
    Thread highjack: Ahh...Suitcase Simpson. Lifesaver senior year when I was short some units for graduation that spring. Let me add late. Clearly a great man.

Dr. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Thread highjack: Ahh...Suitcase Simpson. Lifesaver senior year when I was short some units for graduation that spring. Let me add late. Clearly a great man.
    Yes, despite the jokes students made about him, Dr. Simpson was exceptional in ways that often went unnoticed. He taught my dad (Class of 1933). On one occasion during my student days when my dad was with me, we saw Dr. Simpson. Not only did he remember my dad's name, he remembered his final grade!

Oops!! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    from http://espn.go.com/magazine/curry_20011217.html
    Indeed, in that '66 NCAA semifinal tussle at College Park, Md. between the No. 1 and No.2 ranked teams, the outcome turned on which significant player -- Larry Conley of Kentucky (yeah, that Larry Conley, the TV broadcaster) or Bob Verga of Duke -- could recover more completely from similarly severe cases of the flu. Verga, the Devils' leading scorer all season, had lost five pounds the week of the championship; Conley, the 'Cats' exquisite playmaker, was running a 102 degree fever and breathing over a vaporizer the night before the game.

Came the penultimate evening, however, Verga could manage only two baskets while Conley could grab a defensive rebound, race the length of the court and score to give Kentucky a seven-point lead with a minute left. The Wildcats -- despite somebody named Pat Riley having fouled out -- clinched their victory.
    Blue,

Thanks for the clarification/correction. That is not my recollection, but sometimes many, many things are not as they seem in my recollection. This seems to be the final word. However, Conley and I joked about this issue, possibly not specifically enough, several times.

Good stuff. Thanks again.

Good Stories

I was in Jr. High School at that time and was unaware that UNC or Duke existed.

Several years later, Brent Glass, a teammate of mine who was and remains quite close to Larry told me of the fight and, if I remember correctly, also told me that the two started fighting in high school.

Some interesting facts I've mentioned here before. One of the best players in my high school's history, Brian McSweeney, followed Larry to UNC and captained the team Dean's first or second year, when Billy was a sophomore. When I was a freshman, Heyman dropped by the gym at my school to chat with our coach. He shot around a bit. Good thing he could handle and was tough as nails. He couldn't shoot worth a damn as far as I could see.

When Heyman and Larry were seniors, we had an all county guard, Tommy Pearsall, who was as quick as Larry, or so "they" all said, and went on to be a three time first team Little All American at Albright College in Pa. His kid brother Steve played with me and Brent (actually me and Brent watched him) and went on to captain U of P. Two of the guys on that team went on to play for UConn and another for U of Georgia.

Tommy played in the backcourt with a guy named Bobby Gottlieb, whose son, Doug, everybody knows. Bobby played freshman ball with Lucas, Havlechek, and Knight at Ohio State, went on to coach division 1, and now runs a development program for college prospects in SoCal. His other son is an assistant at Cal.

Lots of good ball played back on the Island in those days, too bad not by me.
    Grey,

Great stories. Thanks. My brother was at "the fight". I want to get his perspective and memories.

Thanks again.

Ahh --- Suitcase Simpon.. I vividly remember taking Poli. Sci. from him. I was seated between Wes Chesson and Marcel Courtillet with Dick Biddle on the other side of Wes (seating was alphabetical). All quizes and exams were on Fridays of away football games (the football team thus had excused absences) and Suitcase referred to the football players as "my gladiators".
    However, I did actually learn a lot from him that semester.

Jim

What about...

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Ahh --- Suitcase Simpon.. I vividly remember taking Poli. Sci. from him. I was seated between Wes Chesson and Marcel Courtillet with Dick Biddle on the other side of Wes (seating was alphabetical). All quizes and exams were on Fridays of away football games (the football team thus had excused absences) and Suitcase referred to the football players as "my gladiators".
    However, I did actually learn a lot from him that semester.

Jim
    Since we've turned down memory lane, did you take Dr. Woody's class on the history of the south? Or "Hog" Lewis's class called "Guns and Boats"? As I recall, Dr. Lewis was known for his miniature train collection. Also in the history department was a professor known as "Dirt Farmer," from the mid west. Don't remember his name. I was about to overlook "Ma" Cheek in poli sci!

Just a little more

I showed up on campus just after Mullins graduated. One day, I went to my mailbox to discover that Jay Buckley's draft card was delivered to it. Since I wasn't of age at the time, I thought of changing the 6' 11 to 5' 11 and using it. It might have worked back home, but not anywhere in the ACC area for sure.

I also stayed one Summer School session and played 2nd base for the intramural softball team that was made up of the bball players. Mike Lewis was the pitcher, Vacendak the catcher, and Kolodziej at first base. I think Kennedy was at short, but it might have been another bball player. Kolodziej and I became friendly, and we took a road trip together with the guys to the beach. Fun time for a rising soph.

I actually didn't "play" second base. I just sat down on it, as no one could even come close to hitting Lewis' pitches. He was one powerful stud.

Another few notes:

Marin averaged about 10 rebs. a game to go along with his wonderful shooting touch. His favorite shot was from the right corner using the backboard, as he was able to create an angle being left handed. Note that it would also be a three pointer today.

I don't think Verga would have been a problem for Coach K, as he was not a discipline problem. He was a loner that just appeared to be. In fact, he was the only starter allowed to play in a game due to discipline violations by the other players just after Xmas/New Years. I think it was a game against Penn. (Correct me on that, Greybeard, if that's not entirely right.) His outside shooting was outstanding. He took a few steps over the halfcourt line on some shots and bingo. He scored 38, I think, in that one, with most coming from way outside---and they only counted for 2 points. If the 3-point shot was around and with an extra year of eligibility, he definitely would have been the man to beat.

For those that never saw Vacendak play, I can understand the lean towards Wojo. Wojo was almost a carbon copy of Vacendak, in reality, but just a notch less skilled and less stocky. Vacendak songlehandedly broke the famous "UCLA press" two games in a row. He could dribble through anybody. He also dove on the floor with the best of them and was the high scorer in a number of games with Verga and Marin present. Coach K would have loved him.

And yep, we probably would have been in the finals of the FF if Verga had not been sick. He was replaced by Tony Barone. At 5'8" (maybe) and a one-handed shot he used to launch from his chest, he was no match for Rupp's Runts (a bogus nickname, as the only true "runt" was their 6'5" center). And Mike Lewis was actually about 6'7".

I was at the game in College Park, and I can tell you that we would have had a chance at beating Texas Western, as we matched up pretty well with them with a healthy Verga in the game. But only a chance. No one had really seen much of TW during the year, as college bball wasn't televised much back then, and they were located way out in the West Texas desert. If you were at the FF, you could see how good they really were. The smallest players could dunk the ball during warm-ups, and Big Daddy dunked during the game with UK players still hanging onto the ball! And fast. Really, really fast.

ricks
    Last edited by ricks68; 12-30-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: adjective error

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I showed up on campus just after Mullins graduated. One day, I went to my mailbox to discover that Jay Buckley's draft card was delivered to it. Since I wasn't of age at the time, I thought of changing the 6' 11 to 5' 11 and using it. It might have worked back home, but not anywhere in the ACC area for sure.

I also stayed one Summer School session and played 2nd base for the intramural softball team that was made up of the bball players. Mike Lewis was the pitcher, Vacendak the catcher, and Kolodziej at first base. I think Kennedy was at short, but it might have been another bball player. Kolodziej and I became friendly, and we took a road trip together with the guys to the beach. Fun time for a rising soph.

I actually didn't "play" second base. I just sat down on it, as no one could even come close to hitting Lewis' pitches. He was one powerful stud.

Another few notes:

Marin averaged about 10 rebs. a game to go along with his wonderful shooting touch. His favorite shot was from the right corner using the backboard, as he was able to create an angle being left handed. Note that it would also be a three pointer today.

I don't think Verga would have been a problem for Coach K, as he was not a discipline problem. He was a loner that just appeared to be. In fact, he was the only starter allowed to play in a game due to discipline violations by the other players just after Xmas/New Years. I think it was a game against Penn. (Correct me on that, Greybeard, if that's not entirely right.) His outside shooting was outstanding. He took a few steps over the halfcourt line on some shots and bingo. He scored 38, I think, in that one, with most coming from way outside---and they only counted for 2 points. If the 3-point shot was around and with an extra year of eligibility, he definitely would have been the man to beat.

For those that never saw Vacendak play, I can understand the lean towards Wojo. Wojo was almost a carbon copy of Vacendak, in reality, but just a notch less skilled and less stocky. Vacendak songlehandedly broke the famous "UCLA press" two games in a row. He could dribble through anybody. He also dove on the floor with the best of them and was the high scorer in a number of games with Verga and Marin present. Coach K would have loved him.

And yep, we probably would have been in the finals of the FF if Verga had not been sick. He was replaced by Tony Barone. At 5'8" (maybe) and a one-handed shot he used to launch from his chest, he was no match for Rupp's Runts (a bogus nickname, as the only true "runt" was their 6'5" center). And Mike Lewis was actually about 6'7".

I was at the game in College Park, and I can tell you that we would have had a chance at beating Texas Western, as we matched up pretty well with them with a healthy Verga in the game. But only a chance. No one had really seen much of TW during the year, as college bball wasn't televised much back then, and they were located way out in the West Texas desert. If you were at the FF, you could see how good they really were. The smallest players could dunk the ball during warm-ups, and Big Daddy dunked during the game with UK players still hanging onto the ball! And fast. Really, really fast.

ricks
    Great post. The Verga game with the suspension was against Penn State.

No warranties as to Accuracy, but...

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    Grey,

Great stories. Thanks. My brother was at "the fight". I want to get his perspective and memories.

Thanks again.
    This is my brother's recollection of the fight. As I said, I have no ability to concur or not. He and I would both like to see how this squares with other accounts.

Thanks.

Yes, I was at Cameron the night of the famous fight between Heyman and Brown. It occurred during the game between the Duke and UNC freshmen (at that time freshmen didn't play varsity sports). I couldn't tell you the exact date it occurred, but it was during Heyman's freshman year, so I guess that would put it sometime in 1960-61 (or was it 1959-60?). What I remember is this: I was sitting in the student section, which was on the left side of the court as you came in the front doors of the indoor stadium. The game had been rough and very physical. At one point -- and I don't know the exact cause of the explosion -- Heyman charged Brown, picked him up at about mid-court, carried him running to the far end of the court (the one to my left), and smashed him into the goal support stand. Then all hell broke loose, benches cleared, people poured onto the court etc. I don't remember whether the game was completed or whether it was called at that point.

It would be interesting to see how my recollections square with other people's. After almost a half-century it's possible that some details have become blurred in my memory, but I think I have the basics straight.

I was at the game, too

It occurred at Duke during Art's (and Larry's) sophomore year. It was toward the end of the game, which Art had dominated, but was still close. Duke won 81-77. Duke had a slight lead and was trying to protect it. Larry was dribbling the ball up the right side with Art shadowing him. As he passed the timeline, Art, aware that Larry might fling one up and knowing that a (non-shooting) foul would stop the clock, halted Larry from behind by bear-hugging him and pulling him to the floor. Larry, unhurt but frustrated all night by Art's defense, stood up, spun and threw a punch. Not sure if it landed hard or not. Donnie Walsh came over and got into it as well. By that time, though, the crowd was on the floor, the players and coaches were off the bench and the student section pretty much lost view of what transpired.

Some of this is recounted in the Heyman section of the Encyclopedia of Duke Basketball, which reports that all three were suspended for the remainder of the season.

One thing is certain. It happened Art's sophomore year. I do not think your brother's account is accurate: (Heyman charged Brown, picked him up at about mid-court, carried him running to the far end of the court (the one to my left), and smashed him into the goal support stand). The bodies did end up down near the UNC bench (in those days the benches were on the baselines), but not near the stanchion. Coach McGuire was accused by some of kicking Duke players while they were on the floor, but I don't think that was ever confirmed. Heyman, at worst, did a bear-hug tackle, which was not designed to injure. Brown would have none of it.

Most of the students had no idea that Heyman and Brown had history that went back to high school. McGuire, however, was still furious Art had changed his commitment from UNC to Duke.

watch the fight on Youtube
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNxqafl6OtI

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerBarry View Post
    That's very interesting. I remember that the game was not televised (few were), so the league had some difficulty in assessing the penalties since there was no film (that they knew of) and had to rely on the refs' recall of a very fluid series of events. I wonder who shot it and where it's been all these years. This should be in the ACC-Duke-UNC archives somewhere.

However, It does show how our (read 'my') memories have faded.

fight

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerBarry View Post
    Now that a film is available, I wonder if some bakery will give unc some award or unc will now hang a banner for it or give larry a welterweight or middleweight championship belt for his pugilistic 'triumph' over Mr. Heyman

TV or not

That's very interesting. I remember that the game was not televised (few were), so the league had some difficulty in assessing the penalties since there was no film (that they knew of) and had to rely on the refs' recall of a very fluid series of events. I wonder who shot it and where it's been all these years. This should be in the ACC-Duke-UNC archives somewhere.

However, It does show how our (read 'my') memories have faded.
    The game being discussed was played on February 4, 1961. There had been an offer to televise the game on a national hook up if the game was moved to an afternoon start time, but Eddie Cameron left the tip off at 8P so the game could be carried by a regional hook up... I think C. D. Chasney had the contract. The evening tip off was supposed to allow fans and alums to get there... at least until the sleet/snow storm paralyzed travel. The weather helped create a TV big audience for what Vic Bubas called, "the biggest game played in the South."

There was a freshman game that night which featured Jeff Mullins. The game got out of control because of fighting. At the end of the freshman game Carolina had only three players left on the floor. Five players had fouled out and three were ejected for fighting. You can imagine what the atmosphere was like when the varsity came out!

The description of Artie bear hugging Larry is accurate based on game film and Artie's own telling of what happened. Art was to speak at a Durham sports group's luncheon on Monday following the game. He took the game film and a projector to show what happened.

According to Art, it was Doug Moe who infuriated him. During the Carolina game played in the finals of the Dixie Classic earlier in the season, Art had made 11 points in about five minutes. Frank McGuire then assigned Doug Moe to guard Art. Art was able to score only five points during the remainder of the game. (Going into that game, Art's average had been 26 points per game for the first nine games.) Carolina won by 5 points. Art's reaction to being shut down like that was to tear Moe's picture out of the paper and stick it up on the wall in his room. Doug Moe's picture was the last thing he looked at as he left his room to head the then Duke Indoor Stadium to prepare for the game with Carolina.

During the now infamous game, Doug would spit in Art's face every time he shot the ball. Art warned Doug that he (Art) had a cold and was going give him something nasty if he kept on spitting. This sort of exchange went on the first half. As the players exited at halftime, another crazy thing happened. In the 60s, both teams exited through the same area. One of the male Carolina cheerleaders was nearby and was "whacking his players on the butt as they ran off." (Art's words) The cheerleader inadvertently hit Heyman as he ran past. Art turned around and hit him back and went on into the dressing room. Those who lived in Durham years ago remember a local attorney named Blackwell "Dog" Brogden. "Dog" was a staunch Carolina fan and was sitted in the end zone where the teams exited. "Dog" saw Art hit the cheerleader and filed assault charges against Art... an event which got in the national news... before the charges were dropped.

When "the fight" broke out, the Carolina bench emptied, but few left the Duke bench. According to Art the fact that his teammates didn't come to defend him bothered him. When he asked them why they didn't come to help him, the answer he got was something like "It's not our nature."

If you're wondering about the sources of this information, I've relied on Art Chansky (Blue Blood) and Al Featherston (Game of My Life), both of whom interviewed extensively as they researched their books. Featherson was an institution among the sportswriters in the central part of the state until a new editor came to the Durham Herald and fired many of the veterans reporters.

Great stuff. Actually, the fight between the two didn't seem from the video to be all that. The aftermath was.

A little known fact. While Larry spent his teen years in the cloistered world of Long Beach, Long Island, he actually grew up in Bensonhurst, which is not on Long Island according to true Brooklynites, but rather is a largely Italian/Jewish enclave in South Brooklyn just a few miles from Coney Island. Bensonhurst's claim to fame is that it was/is the home of gangsters; in Larry's youth, one Joseph Columbo and his crew for starters.

Larry probably had to fight his way home from school on every Saint whatever day. Just the way it was in the neighborhood, or so my old man used to tell. By the time I came around, the first thing we did was make friends with the biggest Italian kid on the block. Joey Losie, just saying the name makes me feel safe.

Other fights and rants

Great stuff. Actually, the fight between the two didn't seem from the video to be all that. The aftermath was.

A little known fact. While Larry spent his teen years in the cloistered world of Long Beach, Long Island, he actually grew up in Bensonhurst, which is not on Long Island according to true Brooklynites, but rather is a largely Italian/Jewish enclave in South Brooklyn just a few miles from Coney Island. Bensonhurst's claim to fame is that it was/is the home of gangsters; in Larry's youth, one Joseph Columbo and his crew for starters.

Larry probably had to fight his way home from school on every Saint whatever day. Just the way it was in the neighborhood, or so my old man used to tell. By the time I came around, the first thing we did was make friends with the biggest Italian kid on the block. Joey Losie, just saying the name makes me feel safe.
    The camera making the game film was up in the rafters and not very mobile in terms of catching events the way later technology has been able to do. Teams relied on game films they made themselves then, not TV footage. The suspension of Heyman from league contests for the rest of the regular season was announced just as the team loaded the bus to go to WS to play Wake. Hayman was called to Eddie Cameron's and told of the suspension as the bus loaded. Artie demanded that Duke back him by appealing of the ruling. (Art fouled out, but Larry was not been ejected from the game. Larry and Donnie Walch were not suspended until the review of the film was completed.) Artie had to threaten to leave Duke immediately to get Eddie off the dime. Once that appeal call was made, Artie hitched a ride in (assistant) Coach Fred Shabel's car with Shabel and a reporter from Sports Illustrated. Even though Artie returned to the line up for non conferenece games that season and for the ACC tournament (winner take all for NCAA tourney... a feature demanded by Everett Case, NC State's legendary coach at the time the ACC replaced the old Southern Conference.), Duke had lost its rhythm and chemistry which had been so potent. Duke beat Wake in the ACC tourney final and went on to lose to St. Joe's in the Eastern Regional Final game. Heyman has said repeatedly that not being able to play during the rest of the final stretch of the regular season cost Duke a national championship. I think he may be right!

There was another noteworthy fight or injury during the 1959-60 season when Artie played on the Blue Imp team. Duke and Carolina played more than two times that season. Huge crowds began to attend the frosh games just to see Artie play. In a game played in Siler City, NC, a neutral court, Artie gave a stellar performance once he accepted the stern advice Coach Bucky Waters gave him before the game. Duke was winning the game when near the end of the game, Deiter Krouse "cold cocked" Artie. This hit came out of nowhere. Bucky got so angry that he grabbed Tar Baby Coach Ken Rosemond by the lapels and began hammering him up against and on to the scorer's table. Bucky had Rosemond bouncing on the controls for the scoreboard causing random scoreboard lights to go off and on so rapidly that it looked as if the scoreboard was about to explode. Artie was taken to the hospital for treatment.

For those who only saw Vic Bubas's manner as restrained, the same season during which "the fight" occurred, there was an incident between Coach Bubas and the infamous Frank McGuire.

Duke students, creative in their welcome for visitors to Indoor Stadium even then, would mimic McGuire by wearing suits, slicking back their hair, then continue to pull at their ties and cuff links, signature mannerisms of McGuire who was known to have a taste for fine clothes and expensive entertaining. Bubas has "stolen" McGuire's gem of a recruit just prior to school opening. McGuire avoided making public statements which gave away his extreme dislike of all things Duke. Back in those days, ACC teams did not provide complimentary game films for scouting to non conference foes, only to other conference teams.

SOOOOO Duke was scheduled to play Navy in Greensboro. McGuire was friends with the Navy coach. When the teams played Navy knew what Duke would do, what play, etc. At the end of the game Coach Bubas saw McGuire standing nearby, fiddling with his tie. McGuire is quoted as then saying, "I love you and Art...." Coach Bubas responded with "Frank, you are full of ^$%^$%^$%^$%.... I'm going to clock you!" It was Artie who stepped between them to separate them, just as he done when McGuire and Arte's step dad were about to get into it during a recruiting visit to CH.

There was so much brewing behind the scenes during the early days of the ACC. The stories make for some of the best "yarns." Enough time has passed for some of the details to fade, but the intensity and competition were there from the beginning. Once Artie was on the scene, Duke - Carolina games in the early 60s began to draw so many from the press corps prior to big games that Duke began to use Card gym for the media. When ESPN decided to offer the Duke - Carolina game in their first 360 coverage of a sporting event just a few years ago, it was just the next step in the media's fascination with the most storied rivalry in college sports.

pre-K

The camera making the game film was up in the rafters and not very mobile in terms of catching events the way later technology has been able to do. Teams relied on game films they made themselves then, not TV footage. The suspension of Heyman from league contests for the rest of the regular season was announced just as the team loaded the bus to go to WS to play Wake. Hayman was called to Eddie Cameron's and told of the suspension as the bus loaded. Artie demanded that Duke back him by appealing of the ruling. (Art fouled out, but Larry was not been ejected from the game. Larry and Donnie Walch were not suspended until the review of the film was completed.) Artie had to threaten to leave Duke immediately to get Eddie off the dime. Once that appeal call was made, Artie hitched a ride in (assistant) Coach Fred Shabel's car with Shabel and a reporter from Sports Illustrated. Even though Artie returned to the line up for non conferenece games that season and for the ACC tournament (winner take all for NCAA tourney... a feature demanded by Everett Case, NC State's legendary coach at the time the ACC replaced the old Southern Conference.), Duke had lost its rhythm and chemistry which had been so potent. Duke beat Wake in the ACC tourney final and went on to lose to St. Joe's in the Eastern Regional Final game. Heyman has said repeatedly that not being able to play during the rest of the final stretch of the regular season cost Duke a national championship. I think he may be right!

There was another noteworthy fight or injury during the 1959-60 season when Artie played on the Blue Imp team. Duke and Carolina played more than two times that season. Huge crowds began to attend the frosh games just to see Artie play. In a game played in Siler City, NC, a neutral court, Artie gave a stellar performance once he accepted the stern advice Coach Bucky Waters gave him before the game. Duke was winning the game when near the end of the game, Deiter Krouse "cold cocked" Artie. This hit came out of nowhere. Bucky got so angry that he grabbed Tar Baby Coach Ken Rosemond by the lapels and began hammering him up against and on to the scorer's table. Bucky had Rosemond bouncing on the controls for the scoreboard causing random scoreboard lights to go off and on so rapidly that it looked as if the scoreboard was about to explode. Artie was taken to the hospital for treatment.

For those who only saw Vic Bubas's manner as restrained, the same season during which "the fight" occurred, there was an incident between Coach Bubas and the infamous Frank McGuire.

Duke students, creative in their welcome for visitors to Indoor Stadium even then, would mimic McGuire by wearing suits, slicking back their hair, then continue to pull at their ties and cuff links, signature mannerisms of McGuire who was known to have a taste for fine clothes and expensive entertaining. Bubas has "stolen" McGuire's gem of a recruit just prior to school opening. McGuire avoided making public statements which gave away his extreme dislike of all things Duke. Back in those days, ACC teams did not provide complimentary game films for scouting to non conference foes, only to other conference teams.

SOOOOO Duke was scheduled to play Navy in Greensboro. McGuire was friends with the Navy coach. When the teams played Navy knew what Duke would do, what play, etc. At the end of the game Coach Bubas saw McGuire standing nearby, fiddling with his tie. McGuire is quoted as then saying, "I love you and Art...." Coach Bubas responded with "Frank, you are full of ^$%^$%^$%^$%.... I'm going to clock you!" It was Artie who stepped between them to separate them, just as he done when McGuire and Arte's step dad were about to get into it during a recruiting visit to CH.

There was so much brewing behind the scenes during the early days of the ACC. The stories make for some of the best "yarns." Enough time has passed for some of the details to fade, but the intensity and competition were there from the beginning. Once Artie was on the scene, Duke - Carolina games in the early 60s began to draw so many from the press corps prior to big games that Duke began to use Card gym for the media. When ESPN decided to offer the Duke - Carolina game in their first 360 coverage of a sporting event just a few years ago, it was just the next step in the media's fascination with the most storied rivalry in college sports.
    This stuff is GREAT reading for us not-that-old Blue Devils . Thanks for sharing with us! And OZZIE and I thought we(Duke) only started hating unc in the early 70's(chortle, chortle).

Terrific stuff devildeac, really terrific. Storytelling is such a rich part of life. These stories take the plastic off the sofa, so to speak, and give such depth and insight as to why storied characters and events are, well, storied. Thanks!
    Last edited by greybeard; 12-31-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: more apt word