Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reliable and multiple sources have indicated to me that Duke has made Echenique a priority target. This doesn't mean he's a lock to go to Duke, doesn't even mean Duke is in the lead. B. Wright and Monroe were priority targets. Then, again so were Singler, Henderson, Brand, Jason Williams, Shelden Williams, Elliott Williams, Weldon Williams (excuse me, I got off on a tangent here .)

Duke has focused on Echenique at the 5 and stands to make his short list.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Hendersons

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ... Then, again so were Singler, Henderson, Brand, Jason Williams, Shelden Williams, Elliott Williams, Weldon Williams (excuse me, I got off on a tangent here .)
    ...to say nothing of Gerald Henderson, David Henderson and Phil Henderson! (Sorry, Harry isn't on any list, although I understand he could be a monster on the boards.)

Grey Devil

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Reliable and multiple sources have indicated to me that Duke has made Echenique a priority target. This doesn't mean he's a lock to go to Duke, doesn't even mean Duke is in the lead. B. Wright and Monroe were priority targets. Then, again so were Singler, Henderson, Brand, Jason Williams, Shelden Williams, Elliott Williams, Weldon Williams (excuse me, I got off on a tangent here .)

Duke has focused on Echenique at the 5 and stands to make his short list.
    Alright, Thanks for the info.

I just figured you subscribed to Watzone, or Scout. I know you didnt mean he is a lock. But if you have heard we are in real good shape with him, that makes me feel a little more comfortable.

Also, Im not quite sure who said Elliot Williams will step in right away and compete for a starting job.. But is he THAT good where theres a good chance he will take time away from Greg Paulus, Nolan Smith, Gerald Henderson or Jon Scheyer?

Just looked it up, It was Bob Green who said that.

So. Is he THAT good?
    Last edited by DukeBlood; 12-24-2007 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added Bob Green

I'm not going to post anyone's premium info here or anywhere else. My info comes from other sources.

Mark will be glad to give DBR readers subscription info and he does have some detailed and informative info on Duke recruiting.

I simply wanted to counter the implication that Duke was just one of a large number of schools involved with GE. We all know that Duke recruits very selectively and this has been the source of considerable discussion, here and elsewhere.

The down side of this is that when Duke misses target A, there may be a target B, but probably not a target C, D, or E. The up side is that when Duke decides to go after a target, Duke is able to focus considerable resources on that target, one of which is the likelihood that we-want-you frequently is a more compelling come on than we-want-a-bunch-of-folks-and-you're-among-them, so-make-up-your-mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post

Also, Im not quite sure who said Elliot Williams will step in right away and compete for a starting job.. But is he THAT good where theres a good chance he will take time away from Greg Paulus, Nolan Smith, Gerald Henderson or Jon Scheyer?

Just looked it up, It was Bob Green who said that.

So. Is he THAT good?
    Everything I've read on the Internet indicates that he is that good. With DeMarcus Nelson graduating, a spot in the starting line-up will open. The natural candidate to fill that spot will be Jon Scheyer. However, IMO, Elliot Williams will be in the mix. Let me reiterate that Elliot Willimas will compete for a starting job. I didn't say he would start. I'm sure Taylor King will be competing hard for that starting job or 6th Man role as well. As will Nolan Smith. Isn't great to be able to have this discussion?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Everything I've read on the Internet indicates that he is that good. With DeMarcus Nelson graduating, a spot in the starting line-up will open. The natural candidate to fill that spot will be Jon Scheyer. However, IMO, Elliot Williams will be in the mix. Let me reiterate that Elliot Willimas will compete for a starting job. I didn't say he would start. I'm sure Taylor King will be competing hard for that starting job or 6th Man role as well. As will Nolan Smith. Isn't great to be able to have this discussion?
    Yeah, Im excited about it as well.

I hope he is as good as you believe is. I seen he is VERY athletic. The 2nd most athletic player on the team next year behind Henderson. I have little reason to doubt he will compete next year for some time.. but not quite sure about competing for starting roll or even 6th man.

And I agree its wonderful to be having this discussion.

Bob, What about Olek? Will he seem any time as a FR?

Hey Patrick...

In another thread, you said sometihng about how Duke has to have a rugged inside player along the lines of Williams, Boozer and Brand. I responded to you, and have yet to hear back. So, I'm going to post to the same response here. If your going to make proncouncements, you need to argue in good faith and respond when someone provides a counter-argument. So, here's another opportunity.

My original response:

"I don't have the stamina to read through this whole thread at the moment. But please tell me that someone has reminded Mr. Yates that Duke managed to win back-to-back national titles without anything resembling that type of player. In fact, for most of K's career, the stereotypical Duke big man was "tall, lanky white dude who plays inside-out."

PY, did you just forget about the pre-Brand era, or were you not following Duke back then?"

I don't really want to look ahead to next year, because I'm so excited about this year. That said, assuming there is no attrition, I think it's pretty safe to say the starting perimeter trio would be Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson. I know Williams is athletic, but he's slender, and I'm not sure he'll be ready to crack major minutes right away. Remember, Henderson didn't start last year. Scheyer did, but one of those two guys had to, given the lack of returning guards. Next year, Duke should have a senior point guard who will be a four year starter, and two junior wings who have each started and played major minutes. It's hard to imagine Williams bypassing either of them. Throw in the fact that an improved Nolan Smith could push for minutes alongside Paulus and not just behind him, and that Marty Pocius will be back as a fourth-year junior, and the backcourt figures to be loaded, with or without immediate contributions from Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post

Bob, What about Olek? Will he seem any time as a FR?
    It is very hard to gain a true perspective of a player's skill level based on internet articles. Living in Japan doesn't afford me the opportunity to watch any high school ball and YouTube clips are pretty much a waste of time. However, the one adjective I would use to describe Czyz is inconsistent. He went 1-12 from the floor, earlier this year, in a matchup against Luke Babbit. Recently, he was ejected from a game for receiving two technical fouls:

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...712240330/1050

In two games since he was ejected, he has scored 35 and 20 points. A nice skill he has is the ability to shoot free throws. He was 7-9 in the 35 point game and 7-7 in the 20 point game.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-24-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    Bob Green

Isn't great to be able to have this discussion?
    yes sir it is, but i am skeptical about e williams competing for starting time. i doubt he starts even 1 game next year, and doubt he plays more than 10mpg if G-money sticks around...don't forget marty plays there too and will be a redshirt junior. (he is redshirting, right?)

Isn't great to be able to have this discussion?
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    yes sir it is, but i am skeptical about e williams competing for starting time. i doubt he starts even 1 game next year, and doubt he plays more than 10mpg if G-money sticks around...don't forget marty plays there too and will be a redshirt junior. (he is redshirting, right?)
    You may be right, but this time last year how many of us thought that Taylor King would be averaging 14.3 mpg/10.6 ppg and Nolan Smith 15.5 mpg/5.6 ppg through 11 games?
    Bob Green

You may be right, but this time last year how many of us thought that Taylor King would be averaging 14.3 mpg/10.6 ppg and Nolan Smith 15.5 mpg/5.6 ppg through 11 games?
    None, but I think we all love it!

What about Christian Laettner?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    In another thread, you said sometihng about how Duke has to have a rugged inside player along the lines of Williams, Boozer and Brand. I responded to you, and have yet to hear back. So, I'm going to post to the same response here. If your going to make proncouncements, you need to argue in good faith and respond when someone provides a counter-argument. So, here's another opportunity.

My original response:

"I don't have the stamina to read through this whole thread at the moment. But please tell me that someone has reminded Mr. Yates that Duke managed to win back-to-back national titles without anything resembling that type of player. In fact, for most of K's career, the stereotypical Duke big man was "tall, lanky white dude who plays inside-out."

PY, did you just forget about the pre-Brand era, or were you not following Duke back then?"
    I can't speak for Mr. Yates, but Laettner played a monster inside game for those 2 NC teams. He was a tall, lanky white dude who played inside-out, but he also was a nasty banger on the boards who utilized his superior size (6'10", 230 lbs.) and some very nice inside moves to pile up a ton of rebounds and a lot of points in the low post. While his game was very different than Williams', Boozer's or Brand's, he certainly provided a superb low post presence on those teams.

The only player on this year's team who approaches his low post skills is Singler, who is smaller than Christian and who is just learning how to play against elite competition. While we surely have one of the best perimeter teams in the country, I too think we need another rugged inside player along the lines of Laettner, Boozer, et al, to truly have a chance of going all the way. Yes, players like that are very hard to get, but we have gotten them in the past and will do so again. We already have a very good start with Singler.