Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are they really #1 quality?

How can UNC hold a #1 ranking when they don't play any ranked teams? Shouldn't the quality of schedule matter?

Aside from the fact that unc has played a ranked team (ahem, byu), since when does not playing a ranked team preclude a team from being ranked #1 in mid december?
    Last edited by JBDuke; 12-31-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: removed uncivil comment

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    isn't this the kind of completely ill-informed post that is supposed to be avoided on here? aside from the fact that unc has played a ranked team (ahem, byu), since when does not playing a ranked team preclude a team from being ranked #1 in mid december?
    That "my friend" is my question...and was BYU ranked when they played them...they were not in the top 25 until week 3

So are you saying that you can play whoever you want and still hold a #1 ranking? strength of schedule means nothing

******the edit******

OK, I'll amend it...BYU is ranked 21st...does it matter where they are ranked or should a #1 team play at least one top 15 or 10 team? How do you earn a #1 ranking?
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 12-22-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: amended the original question

You get a #1 ranking by starting out high in the polls and then not losing for awhile (outlasting others who receive losses). UNC might "deserve" a #1 ranking, they might not. Does it really matter? I honestly have no idea where Duke is ranked right now and, in general, I haven't paid attention to rankings in years.

BYU was not ranked when UNC played them. Despite what UNC fans believe and say, the 'holes haven't really played any good teams and at this point probably don't deserve to be #1. But this is why the rankings aren't that important, especially in December.

I think UNC has played three teams that have been ranked at some point, BYU, Davidson and Kentucky.

At this point in the season #1 is usually based largely on pre-season expectations. I guess Texas has the best "this season resume" out of the top teams. So they are probably more deserving based on current schedule.

But who is the best team? I don't know. It's kind of muddled in the top seven or so. UNC probably has the weakest schedule in terms of the strength of the teams they have played out of all the top five or six teams. But I have to give them credit for playing a very long string of road games even if two of the teams (UK &OSU) that should have provided the toughest test are having disappointing seasons.

So I think the notion of who deserves it most is a matter of splitting hairs at this point.

If anybody is watching the Gtown-Memphis game, holy smokes, Memphis is the real deal. The 'holes should be paying close attention to this one.

The problem

The problem that exists is that we do not want CBB to turn into CFB. Unfortunately this already happened this year when they bumped Texas up so many spots because they beat two highly ranked opponents, while other teams did not. So why does this not apply to UNC, if Memphis beats the crap out of G-Town, or Vice versa, should they take UNC's place. Although I do not think that UNC deserves the number 1 ranking, I really do not want basketball to turn into a BCS ordeal. I was really pissed when that Texas thing happened, I am not sure if anyone really noticed. When you do that you open up so many scenarios, I mean during the season anyone could lose their position, if someone deems that their schedule is not as difficult that week as someone else. I am sorry to rant but the whole ranking thing right now really stinks, and unfortunately this stuff does matter, because you are trying to get the highest seed you can for the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    If anybody is watching the Gtown-Memphis game, holy smokes, Memphis is the real deal. The 'holes should be paying close attention to this one.
    '

If Duke and G'Town play any time this season and it comes down to free throw shooting...that game will be truly painful to watch.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    How can UNC hold a #1 ranking when they don't play any ranked teams? Shouldn't the quality of schedule matter?
    Their #1 ranking doesn't matter that much as they will certainly be brought back down to earth when ACC play gets going. After the first run through the conference UNC will drop down a bit.

Memphis with a statement win over Georgetown. I wouldn't be surprised to see them edge ahead of UNC in the polls after that win, even though UNC destroyed a fairly decent UCSB team.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Their #1 ranking doesn't matter that much as they will certainly be brought back down to earth when ACC play gets going. After the first run through the conference UNC will drop down a bit.
    Out of the top five or six, Memphis looks to have the weakest conference slate? Othewise all the teams will take some lumpsin conference and there should be much leapfrogging in the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    The problem that exists is that we do not want CBB to turn into CFB....I really do not want basketball to turn into a BCS ordeal.
    How can CBB turn into CFB? They have completely different systems. CBB has a playoff. CFB doesn't.

I was really pissed when that Texas thing happened,
    Really??? Why?

unfortunately this stuff does matter, because you are trying to get the highest seed you can for the tourney.
    The selection committee who selects and seeds teams pays no attention to the media polls.

Keep in mind the number one ranked team isn't always the best team. Unfortunatley, to lose the #1 spot, you have to do just that, lose.

To contradict everything I just said,there is a realistic chance #2 Memphis jumps them after beating #4 GTown. Just goes to show the reality that rankings are just that, rankings. Not nessicarly best teams in that order. Sounds like something college football has, whats that thing called again?? Oh yea, the Bull Crap System.

We just need that #1 seed in the tourny.

Rankings

I don't think the rankings right now are worth much.

Maybe later in the year when teams are jockeying for tournament seedings, rankings may influence how highly a team is seeded. (And maybe not . . . I often wonder what really goes on in that room.)

But that's about the only time they're really worth anything, IMO.

Memphis would smack around guys like Ellington and Hansbrough.

They're definitely a final four leader.

With a number one seed in the East they would have all "home" games until the final four. Then they would only need two road wins. Pretty obtainable task ino. They would never have to leave North Carolina until the final four.

I think the top 10 or 12 teams will all be competing for the championship. This is a very even year without any "great" teams. All top teams have weaknesses.

UNC's schedule

How is this team considered the best in the nation. They have one of the weakest schedules for a top ranked team I have ever seen. Nevada, Nicholes State, and etc. The two best teams they have played are probably Davidson and Ohio State who are both non-ranked teams.
    They struggled against BYU and some other half way decent teams. I think Memphis is far more deserving of the ranking they beat George Town. Even though Duke has lost they have proven to be a better team then UNC so far b/c the fact that Duke beat Marquette and Illinois while destroying Wisconsin who just beat Texas in Austin.

I just wish the UNC fans who tells us how they are number one realized that their team has yet to prove a damn thing.