Page 994 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 49489494498499299399499599610041044109414941994 ... LastLast
Results 19,861 to 19,880 of 67238
    Yep, the dryer is dead.

RIP ? - 2017

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Yep, the dryer is dead.

RIP ? - 2017
    Flushing it down the toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Flushing it down the toilet?
    Lots of Labor Day deals at Lowe's and Home Depot. Found a good deal on a Maytag and a Whirlpool. Not sure which one to go with.

In other news, some wanker parked in my spot at my condo.

Not enough of an occasion for a Zima?
    Zima is reserved for graduations, weddings, and DBR chat when our shooty hoops team needs some good luck.

Lots of Labor Day deals at Lowe's and Home Depot. Found a good deal on a Maytag and a Whirlpool. Not sure which one to go with.
    IMHO, having purchased a dryer recently, any dryer with a digital display and motherboard full of widgets and doohickeys is cool, but extremely expensive to repair when/if the time comes.

Sometimes cheap and simple is the way to go for long term happiness.

I like having a dryer I can fix myself.

I remember playing a game years ago on the Apple IIe where you were building cities, etc. in the US. At some point, hurricane season would kick up and occasionally they would destroy one of your cities with distinctive electronic thud. I can't remember the name of the game but with Irma next up, that game experience is flooding back to me.

I'd go Maytag. Yes, it's not like the Maytag of old but still prefer it to Whirlpool. And ditto on the above, go simple.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I remember playing a game years ago on the Apple IIe where you were building cities, etc. in the US. At some point, hurricane season would kick up and occasionally they would destroy one of your cities with distinctive electronic thud. I can't remember the name of the game but with Irma next up, that game experience is flooding back to me.
    Old school SimCity. Was lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Old school SimCity. Was lots of fun.
    . Maybe, but that doesn't ring a bell on my Apple IIe memories.

Wedding out of town this weekend. Oysters on the menu!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

IMHO, having purchased a dryer recently, any dryer with a digital display and motherboard full of widgets and doohickeys is cool, but extremely expensive to repair when/if the time comes.

Sometimes cheap and simple is the way to go for long term happiness.

I like having a dryer I can fix myself.
    We just had a washing machine die a couple months back. (Kenmore, bought it when we moved into the Neighborhood of Make-Believe 20+ years ago). Nothing digital on it at all, just four selector dials for wash type, rinse type, water temp, and cycle timer. It was idiot proof and I think all we ever had to replace was the drive belt once.

Well, they don't make them like that any more. We ended up with some type of Samsung with an LED display and more push buttons than a Boeing cockpit, most of which have labels that don't make any sense. Maybe I'll get used to it but I am not optimistic.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Anyone else severely inconvenienced by Google Sheets being down for several hours this morning?

Anyone else severely inconvenienced by Google Sheets being down for several hours this morning?
    Not I. They will still have a 99.9% uptime rate...

Not I. They will still have a 99.9% uptime rate...
    Frustrating when you are trying to do payroll and everyone uses Google Sheets for their timecards.

Frustrating when you are trying to do payroll and everyone uses Google Sheets for their timecards.
    Yes, understood. I was being facetious about the 99.9% uptime. The only time that matters is when you need to use it. They can be down up to 9 hours during the year and still claim a 99.9% uptime. If those 9 hours are when you need to do payroll the uptime claim is meaningless to you.

I used to manage a 24/7 manufacturing line. Every minute not running was money lost. Invariably, the times we were down to fix equipment usually coincided with a customer calling in a rush order.

Yes, understood. I was being facetious about the 99.9% uptime. The only time that matters is when you need to use it. They can be down up to 9 hours during the year and still claim a 99.9% uptime. If those 9 hours are when you need to do payroll the uptime claim is meaningless to you.

I used to manage a 24/7 manufacturing line. Every minute not running was money lost. Invariably, the times we were down to fix equipment usually coincided with a customer calling in a rush order.
    As someone who works on a software system in manufacturing, I can confirm this is how it always goes.

Every time I shave my beard I instantly regret it.

On a brighter note, new dryer should be in tomorrow. Went with the Maytag because I trust the opinion of the DBR.

Every time I shave my beard I instantly regret it.

On a brighter note, new dryer should be in tomorrow. Went with the Maytag because I trust the opinion of the DBR.
    Don't grow one? That way there can be no shaving it off regrets later.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    As someone who works on a software system in manufacturing, I can confirm this is how it always goes.
    It has been proven by anecdotal evidence.

The best way to assure 100% up time for something is to never need it.