Page 99 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 49899798991001011091491995991099 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 67238
    I have my great-grandfather's Seamen's Papers. He was a Norwegian seacaptain and piloted?/steered?/ran? ships from Europe to the U.S. during treacherous times. I still smile and chuckle (bad me) to know that he met his demise by being run down by a trolley in Brooklyn.

A few of mine are here:

http://lordashramshouseofwar.blogspot.com/

In the first few posts you can see my original 1864 Federal pack, made by Butterfield in NY in August of 64. Also a few older military prints, including an early 1800 print of French soldiers circa 1812, and a few others.

Not sure if this qualifies

When my grandparents were moving I found a book dated 1899 titled "Source-Book of American History". I haven't read it as I'm afraid of ripping the delicate pages. The book appears to be a series of essays, or narratives written by witness or makers of history. Authors include: Christopher Columbus, Captain John Smith, Colonel George Washington, and more.

Talking Why can't we have more emoticons to choose from?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I was happy with it on page 2, that way the "ymm, beer" thread was still on page 1. Plus, I just maximized my smilie per post usage.(wink, wink-if I do that does it count as a 5th smilie?)
    I personally prefer the emoticon list available on snrubchat. I especially enjoy the "we're not worthy" and dribbling emoticons there.

I still can't figure out why "Big Grin" on the right is "Talking" down below.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Question Big question...

When we went into daylight savings time, the time of posting didn't change (spring forward). So now it looks as though I am posting at 8:29 PM, when in fact, I am posting at 9:29PM.

Did the server migrate to the central time zone, or did it just not update to the new time?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I'm getting 9:30 p.m. right now for your post

Talking I'm not getting in any time machine

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm getting 9:30 p.m. right now for your post
    OK, THAT's freaky. My computer said 9:30PM when I posted, but the posting time on top of the message says 8:30PM.

Answer THAT one BillyBreen! Please?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Lte

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    OK, THAT's freaky. My computer said 9:30PM when I posted, but the posting time on top of the message says 8:30PM.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Please, PLEASE don't encourage him...

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    It sounds like you've configured your computer to say you're in Eastern while the board software thinks you are on Central time.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    By the way, she nicknamed you, "Tiny."
    I'm afraid to ask...

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    I own a book about various historical events as told in poetry and prose. There is no publication date in the book but it was given as a school prize in Girvan Scotland in 1880 (there is a sticker inside the front cover stating this) so I figure it was published right around that time. My Gran got it from a friend of hers - the book had originally been awarded as a prize to one of that friend's older siblings.

I plan to look for some older books while in London this year. I can't afford anything rare so I'll settle for old.

The oldest things we have in our home are some roman-era sherds my wife found on a dig in Israel. The oldest thing I have (well, it's at my mother's house now) is a late 18th century swedish bible that was owned by settlers in New England. The third oldest thing I have is an autographed daguerreotype from John McCain's second term.

Smile We'll try synching the internet time on my computer

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    It sounds like you've configured your computer to say you're in Eastern while the board software thinks you are on Central time.
    Sure does. I just tried re-synching my internet time. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for the information folks. I thought it was weird. Glad that it's on my end.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. Well, that didn't work.
    Last edited by Lavabe; 05-13-2008 at 07:14 AM. Reason: It didn't work

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I think I should have been here last night instead of watching the Celtics.

I can't root for New Orleans because of Chris Paul. I can't look at the guy without seeing his cheap shot on Julius Hodge. It must be the way Kentucky fans look at Laettner. I still think what Paul did was much, much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Who was your grandfather and what state/district did he represent in Congress?
    He was Wilbur Mills from White County, Arkansas.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I have my great-great grandfather's discharge papers from the Union Army. He was a major. My mother's family was split, half fought for the Confederacy, half for the Union (West Virginia folks). The Confederates were all killed, one at Gettysburg.

I also have an '84-'85 Duke Basketball Schedule that I've kept in this velcro-closure credit-card holder for 23+ years now. The cover photo is of a Duke-Maryland game. Len Bias is clearly visible in the background.

I've got some 1970's piano sheet music for a song titled 'Piano Man', music and lyrics by William Joel.

I collect autographed first editions (in real time, meaning I go to the readings). Someday, perhaps, they will become interesting antiques. Highlights of the collection include: Murther and Walking Spirits by Robertson Davies, The English Patient and Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje, Living by the Word by Alice Walker, and The Long Way Down by Nick Hornby, I also have an autographed Fever Pitch but it's not a first edition. Oh and The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    He was Wilbur Mills from White County, Arkansas.
    "The" Wilbur Mills of House Ways and Means fame? Impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbur_Mills

http://www.geocities.com/genealogydavis/jakecorn.html

This isn't really an antique but we do have some various trinkets left over from this time period.
    My uncle is the genealogy buff in the family. After about 20 years of research he was able to trace us back to these nice folks in the article above. So, if she was real then Princess Cornblossom was my grandmother, unless Big Jake Troxel could reproduce a-sexually.

Elizabeth Troxell to marry James Vaughn
    Our family comes from this marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    "The" Wilbur Mills of House Ways and Means fame? Impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbur_Mills
    The same. Still reaping benefits. His former secretary from back in 1969 snuck me into a small gathering of AR supporters of Hillary at an event here in DC where I got to meet her and have a picture taken. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I think I should have been here last night instead of watching the Celtics.

I can't root for New Orleans because of Chris Paul. I can't look at the guy without seeing his cheap shot on Julius Hodge. It must be the way Kentucky fans look at Laettner. I still think what Paul did was much, much worse.
    I for one really enjoy watching CP play. Yes, the shot on Julius Hodge was bad, but it was also about 5 years ago, when Paul was all of about 18. I took particular exception to the front page piece a few days ago that proclaimed Paul "essentially a dirty player." That kind of stuff, coupled with diametrically opposed apologism for Duke players, to me severely diminishes the quality of the DBR guys' work. I thought it was really lame.