Page 916 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 416816866906914915916917918926966101614161916 ... LastLast
Results 18,301 to 18,320 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Actually was just having the holiday conversation with a group of friends.

For me it's:
    Fourth of July
    Thanksgiving
    Christmas
    Halloween
    NYE
    Easter

This ranking assumes that you don't count the Thursday and Friday of March Madness a holiday of course.
    You, along with several others here, missed one:

http://stoutday.com/

I, for one, did not miss it, celebrating with a Speedway Stout. Oops, wrong thread.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm not a fan of Columbus Day.
    Alas - I'm not a fan of the reason behind it, but I love having that day be a holiday. I've run the Tufts Health Plan 10k for Women starting on Boston Common every year for the past 10. Every few years, it's also my birthday. I'd be very said if we no longer got the day off. But, I wouldn't mind rebranding it.

Voting is open for men's soccer Lowe's Senior Class award: http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/mens_soccer_2016/

To make up for the times Cleveland State has taken the fall with the NCAA for the "big boys", you can vote for Sergio Manesio of Cleveland State to start making amends.

I had to fire someone today.

Worst part of my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Worst part of my job.
    Not fun, sorry.

Worst part of my job.
    Yep, worst part of any manager's job!

Worst part of my job.
    Sorry about that.

I got fired once. I hated the job and was trying to figure out a way to leave gracefully. I landed on my feet in less than a month at the perfect job for me at the time. So, it all worked out, but it was an unpleasant experience. I wanted to yell, "You can't fire me, I quit!" but I wanted the severance more.

I got fired because the big boss hired me to do one job but his lieutenant wanted me to do another. I was not qualified to do the other job and she kept asking me why things were taking so long. I trained myself up as fast as I could (and I really do mean trained myself), by putting in extra hours that I was not being paid for. I had finally started to feel comfortable doing the job I was not qualified for about a week before they fired me. I do not think the person who fired me felt the slightest bit bad about it. I held it together. I didn't even slap her when she told me I was not an expert at the job I was not hired to do. Toxic environment and I was better off out of it, but, still, I got fired. Yuck.

I haven't been fired, but I did leave a situation I was not comfortable with earlier than I probably would have liked. The business had been losing money for years and lost $18 million the year before I took over. We lost $8 million or so my first year there and made $7 million my second year. BUT on a smaller revenue base. And that didn't sit well with my boss. We would have made more going forward and grown revenue for the next several years if they would have stuck to the path I had set out. I told my boss good luck and departed. They broke even the next year before tipping back into losing money again. BTW, my boss did get fired 2 months after I left.

My life has been much better since leaving that job.

May the spork be with you!

Killed another thread didn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Sorry about that.

I got fired once. I hated the job and was trying to figure out a way to leave gracefully. I landed on my feet in less than a month at the perfect job for me at the time. So, it all worked out, but it was an unpleasant experience. I wanted to yell, "You can't fire me, I quit!" but I wanted the severance more.

I got fired because the big boss hired me to do one job but his lieutenant wanted me to do another. I was not qualified to do the other job and she kept asking me why things were taking so long. I trained myself up as fast as I could (and I really do mean trained myself), by putting in extra hours that I was not being paid for. I had finally started to feel comfortable doing the job I was not qualified for about a week before they fired me. I do not think the person who fired me felt the slightest bit bad about it. I held it together. I didn't even slap her when she told me I was not an expert at the job I was not hired to do. Toxic environment and I was better off out of it, but, still, I got fired. Yuck.
    Yeah, this kid hated his job and needed to be doing something different. He's a good guy and young, so he will land on his feet - but he seemed gobsmacked to get fired. Sorta shows me how little he was paying attention.

So, fall BACK!

I expect all of you to check those smoke detector batteries!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

My house has nine smoke detectors, I have to buy 9 volt batteries in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    My house has nine smoke detectors, I have to buy 9 volt batteries in bulk.
    Maryland now only allows smoke detectors that have "permanent" batteries, good for 10 years. After that, replace the detector, not the battery. Newer construction requires wired smoke detectors with 10 year batteries.

-jk

Celebrated the life of a former choir director today. He had quite the musical career and taught many people. The service was filled with music. His wife, who was our music director/organist for many years, played for the service. His daughter sang a solo as well as in the choir. He died way too young from cancer. A cure needs to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Celebrated the life of a former choir director today. He had quite the musical career and taught many people. The service was filled with music. His wife, who was our music director/organist for many years, played for the service. His daughter sang a solo as well as in the choir. He died way too young from cancer. A cure needs to be found.
    Sorry to hear that, DinK. Sending you my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Sorry to hear that, DinK. Sending you my thoughts.
    Thanks, BD. Never good to see a talented person who touched many lives leave this early much too early. Beverly Sills spied his talent early on in his career. It was fun to hear his oldest brother talk about how proud he was of his little brother coming from Alabama to make such a mark on the musical world.

Amazing how an age that would have, once, seemed very old (60) is not nearly old enough the closer you come to that number yourself. His daughter is a senior in college - too young to lose a parent. she did a wonderful job singing for him. (I was chicken and insisted on singing from the balcony at the beginning of my dad's service. Didn't want to look into anyone's face while I sang. Not sure I could have done that even if I was a trained singer.)

Also sorry to hear that DinK. My condolences to his family.

Another two loss weekend for me. (College football) At least both were to ranked teams. And both Duke and Vandy had good efforts. Just couldn't get the upsets.

Football has put me in a fetal position over here, too.