Page 91 of 2662 FirstFirst ... 418189909192931011411915911091 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 53231
  1. #1801
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    It was the available apartment that fit my criteria, but it will likely be a bit of an adjustment. The view is pretty spectacular, though - I think I'll be able to see the Arch. Considering the fact that I'm moving from a 1300 sq ft house to a 1000 sq ft apartment, it's not too much of a downsize. I have sold off some furniture, though.
    Oh, that's not as bad as I envisioned. When I moved from Apt. to House, even when I was sharing the house, I still ended up with more furniture, etc., than would ever fit back down into an apt.

    If you're facing the arch, I'm guessing you have an Eastern view? You'll miss seeing the storms come in from the Southwest, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Watching the midwestern summer storms blow in can either be frightening or cool, depending on your POV. And I bet the view of them would be stellar from 12 stories up. Then again, iirc, you got those sorts of storms in Arkansas as well.

  2. #1802
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Smile A room with a view?

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Oh, that's not as bad as I envisioned. When I moved from Apt. to House, even when I was sharing the house, I still ended up with more furniture, etc., than would ever fit back down into an apt.

    If you're facing the arch, I'm guessing you have an Eastern view? You'll miss seeing the storms come in from the Southwest, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Watching the midwestern summer storms blow in can either be frightening or cool, depending on your POV. And I bet the view of them would be stellar from 12 stories up. Then again, iirc, you got those sorts of storms in Arkansas as well.
    Arkie will be able to see plenty of storms hit Illinois.

    The Arch and downtown is pretty good, but I like having a view that gives you the barges going down the Mississippi, with the Arch and bridges in view.

    Which reminds me ... back to cleaning up this house while I grade. And someone five houses down put their house up on the market at some high price. That should help us.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  3. #1803
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Yo, BD, how's the post-marathon recovery going? How are your knees, etc.?
    I'm forcing myself to take a full two weeks off from running. I'm also going to make an appointment with a sports medicine doc before I do anything longer than 3 miles. Right now though, despite my assertions to the contrary, I'm running again next year because I just have to break 6(!) hours. If I can't do that in two tries, well, then I really shouldn't be running marathons. If I can do it, then I won't have anything else to prove. But I'm not having surgery just to run another marathon, my knees function fine at the more sane distances.

  4. #1804
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Oh, that's not as bad as I envisioned. When I moved from Apt. to House, even when I was sharing the house, I still ended up with more furniture, etc., than would ever fit back down into an apt.

    If you're facing the arch, I'm guessing you have an Eastern view? You'll miss seeing the storms come in from the Southwest, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Watching the midwestern summer storms blow in can either be frightening or cool, depending on your POV. And I bet the view of them would be stellar from 12 stories up. Then again, iirc, you got those sorts of storms in Arkansas as well.
    The huge raise allowed me to get something nice. I'm going from a 3 bed/2 bath house to a 2 bed/1 bath apartment. The only real down side is no washer-dryer in the apartment. I sold some bedroom furniture that I've had for 13 years (kept the set my dad built) and also my dining room table. The spare room will be an office/guest room combo. ALl the lawn equipment is going

    Watching storms is a bit fun, and we do get some nasty ones here - bad enough that local programming is pre-empted to show nothing but weather. I've seen a few too many tornado-producing storms come too close for comfort. If you really want fun, watch one blow in from the top of a mountain. I did that once when I lived in Boulder.

  5. #1805
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Arkie will be able to see plenty of storms hit Illinois.

    The Arch and downtown is pretty good, but I like having a view that gives you the barges going down the Mississippi, with the Arch and bridges in view.

    Which reminds me ... back to cleaning up this house while I grade. And someone five houses down put their house up on the market at some high price. That should help us.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I have had that same thought numerous times (the 'room with a view' one, that is). Obscure TV and movie references pop into my mind all the time, and I get some strange looks when I work them into casual conversation. Maybe I watch 'Gilmore Girls' too much.

    I will also have a lovely view of the old money houses in CWE. You know, the neighborhood that's blocked off by numerous locked gates, thereby depriving me of the shortest route to CWE. I can't remember whether or not the river is visible from there. That would be pretty cool.

    Good luck on cleaning and selling the house. The cleaning up part is an absolute bear. I had to get mine to a presentable state in 4 hours. It all worked out, though.

  6. #1806
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO

    Red face I'm a wimp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'm forcing myself to take a full two weeks off from running. I'm also going to make an appointment with a sports medicine doc before I do anything longer than 3 miles. Right now though, despite my assertions to the contrary, I'm running again next year because I just have to break 6(!) hours. If I can't do that in two tries, well, then I really shouldn't be running marathons. If I can do it, then I won't have anything else to prove. But I'm not having surgery just to run another marathon, my knees function fine at the more sane distances.
    Sounds like a good, sensible approach to me. It's definitely not worth it to have knee surgery just to have another shot at beating the 6 hour mark - at least, it wouldn't be to me. But then, you'll also never hear me utter (or type) the phrase 'I'm forcing myself to take a full two weeks off from running.' Major kudos to you.

  7. #1807
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    One great thing marathon training did for me is it made me a runner again. I have Jeff Galloway to thank. Just reading about those walk breaks made me realize that I could do this. I'll never be able to just keep running for super long distances but by giving me 'permission' to walk, well, it changed my outlook. I'm going to regularly do 3 mile runs 2-3 times a week with the occasional 6 miler and I do intend to run an official 10K race at least once a year for as long as I am able to move. But I do want one more crack at the marathon, well, the Boston Marathon. Funny, I have no desire to prove myself anywhere else. That's laziness. I'm not getting on a plane just to run 26 miles.

  8. #1808
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    One great thing marathon training did for me is it made me a runner again. I have Jeff Galloway to thank. Just reading about those walk breaks made me realize that I could do this. I'll never be able to just keep running for super long distances but by giving me 'permission' to walk, well, it changed my outlook. I'm going to regularly do 3 mile runs 2-3 times a week with the occasional 6 miler and I do intend to run an official 10K race at least once a year for as long as I am able to move. But I do want one more crack at the marathon, well, the Boston Marathon. Funny, I have no desire to prove myself anywhere else. That's laziness. I'm not getting on a plane just to run 26 miles.
    As Boston is the most prestigious marathon, why the heck would you want to go anywhere else to run? Stick with Boston!

  9. #1809
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    As Boston is the most prestigious marathon, why the heck would you want to go anywhere else to run? Stick with Boston!
    When I lived in Arlington, VA, I used to go down and cheer on the runners of the Marine Corps marathon at the end of the race -- a kind of nasty uphill climb (especially after 26 miles!) to and around the Iwo Jima memorial. Some of the runners were clearly disabled vets, being helped along by their buddies. Were I ever to go crazy enough to try and run a marathon, I'd choose to run with those guys.

  10. #1810
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Speaking of moving, hey Tilly, how's the new place??

  11. #1811
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Speaking of moving, hey Tilly, how's the new place??
    It's awesome! Thanks for asking.

    I love my commute. I have more energy when I come home, as a result more housework gets done during the week, and I've even been able to workout. BD is inspiring me to do that more.

  12. #1812
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    It's awesome! Thanks for asking.

    I love my commute. I have more energy when I come home, as a result more housework gets done during the week, and I've even been able to workout. BD is inspiring me to do that more.
    More housework doesn't sound like a good thing??

    But good for you on the working out! Thanks for the reminder to pack a bag of workout clothes, maybe I'll hit the gym on my way home tonight.

  13. #1813
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    More housework doesn't sound like a good thing??
    It's not more, I'm able to get things done during the week, thus don't have to do it on the weekends. That way, I have more time to play on the weekends.

  14. #1814
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Tilly, that sounds great. I'm happy for you and am hoping that the same holds true for me after my move. More time and energy sounds good!

  15. #1815
    ArkieDukie, let us know when you are actually moving so we can send you vibes for the move.

    Moving can be so stressful. My advice, prepare as much as possible ahead of time. And then during the actual move, breathe.

  16. #1816
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO

    Monday is the day!

    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    ArkieDukie, let us know when you are actually moving so we can send you vibes for the move.

    Moving can be so stressful. My advice, prepare as much as possible ahead of time. And then during the actual move, breathe.
    Thanks! The moving vans are arriving at my house at 8 a.m. on Monday, and we're unloading at the new place late that afternoon. They estimated 2 hrs to load. Who knows how long it will take to unload - there's a freight elevator to consider. After hearing horror stories about things getting lost in transit, I chose a small local company to move my stuff. There's little chance for lost items if they're getting loaded into a truck at my house and unloaded from the same truck at the other end.

    I tend to be a bit proactive, so a lot has already been done. I spent yesterday dealing with shutting off utilities at this end and doing change of address stuff. I even transferred my internet service - I'll be back online on Tuesday. Not much to do at the other end besides get cable and sign my lease. Oh, and change to a local cell phone number. And choose a bank. And unpack. I still have packing to do here, which means I should probably GET BACK TO WORK!
    Last edited by ArkieDukie; 05-01-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added minor info

  17. #1817
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Question Basic question

    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    It's awesome! Thanks for asking.

    I love my commute. I have more energy when I come home, as a result more housework gets done during the week, and I've even been able to workout. BD is inspiring me to do that more.
    More importantly...

    HOW ARE THE CATS?

  18. #1818
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    More importantly...

    HOW ARE THE CATS?
    They seem to be enjoying the new place. Especially since they have easier access to the windows. Not uncommon for me to see Moneypenny in a window as I leave for work in the morning. The porch is screened in so I let them roam a bit out there.

    Katie has snuck out a few times, but I've seen her do it so have been able to wrangle her back in. She hasn't tried this in a while.

  19. #1819
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    Lte

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Arkie will be able to see plenty of storms hit Illinois.

    The Arch and downtown is pretty good, but I like having a view that gives you the barges going down the Mississippi, with the Arch and bridges in view.

    Which reminds me ... back to cleaning up this house while I grade. And someone five houses down put their house up on the market at some high price. That should help us.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    It only helps you if they sell it at or very near the asking price. If it is vastly overpriced and doesn't sell for months, if at all, it does you no good .

  20. #1820
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It only helps you if they sell it at or very near the asking price. If it is vastly overpriced and doesn't sell for months, if at all, it does you no good .
    Not necessarily, especially if we're looking at ease of sell rather than net profit. I think that the neighbor's overpriced house might help Lavabe's house sell more quickly. Assuming the houses are similar and Lavabe's house is more reasonably priced, the discerning buyer would choose Lavabe's house.

    I'm Grant Hill, if only for a moment.
    Last edited by ArkieDukie; 05-01-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: notice of status!

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •