Page 827 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 32772777781782582682782882983787792713271827 ... LastLast
Results 16,521 to 16,540 of 67386
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post

PS BD, can I put that on a business card? Quote you on my LinkedIn profile?
    Of course! That is what I'm here for.

The stinkbugs here in the Piedmont area of Virginia are again driving me crazy. I believe they are communicating with each other and moving room to room, one at a time, to torment me. They cannot be ignored! I detest them with my entire being.
    Last edited by weezie; 05-18-2015 at 08:20 AM.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Sue71, J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The stinkbugs here in the Piedmont area of Virginia are again driving me crazy. I believe they are communicating with each other and moving room to room, one at a time, to torment me. They cannot be ignored! I detest them with my entire being.
    I am starting to believe cut up 2 liter bottles can solve almost any problem:

http://www.thebugsquad.com/stink-bugs/stink-bug-trap/

We had some overripe fruit last summer and a bit of apple cider vinegar in a similar contraption got rid of them all.

Relating it back to Duke days, the first time I saw something like this was a chewing tobacco spit cup made from a 16oz soda bottle. Gross but effective.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    ... the first time I saw something like this was a chewing tobacco spit cup made from a 16oz soda bottle. Gross but effective.
    Indeed. Thanks for the tip though!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Going to speak with a real estate agent next week for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Good luck!

1. Know what you are willing to spend, and the amount a bank will loan you, before going.

2. Tell the agent your max is about 10-15% below that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    1. Know what you are willing to spend, and the amount a bank will loan you, before going.

2. Tell the agent your max is about 10-15% below that.
    Definitely! Ages ago, when I bought, I did a quick excel spreadsheet calculating estimated monthly payments for various loan amounts and various interest rates I determined how much I wanted to pay each month, knowing there would be additional amounts to the payments for real estate taxes and insurance.

I would add a #3 - don't factor the tax savings due to increased itemized deductions into your purchase. If the estimated interest and real estate taxes mean $x less in tax you owe, don't increase the amount you can pay each month. Maybe people aren't looking at this anymore but they used to and it isn't wise. There are always unexpected expenses with home ownership and those "savings" can be used for that. Don't become house poor.

Once you have purchased, try to pay a little extra principal each month. Over time, it is amazing what even $5/payment can do to speed up your payoff. The goal is for you to own the house - not you and the bank.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm sorting out a few different properties. Two being a town home style condo. The cost of living here is ridiculous, so the condo route may be the best route for me as a young, first time home buyer. Anyone have experience with condo living? Any stories to scare me out of it?

I'm sorting out a few different properties. Two being a town home style condo. The cost of living here is ridiculous, so the condo route may be the best route for me as a young, first time home buyer. Anyone have experience with condo living? Any stories to scare me out of it?
    I've only rented a town home, but like any real estate, the biggest question I always have is what are the neighbors like?

Make sure you have a clear understanding of the condo fees and any common area maintenance fees (sometimes a
    So referred to as shared maintenance fees)-- how much, how often they are assessed, whether there are any planned projects, and (if you can find out) how often they they have gone up over the last few years.

A) Where's here? Asheville?

B) My nightmare condo scenario
    The idea of owning in a condo is fantastic. But if you're in an ownership situation, then people usually want to upgrade all their interior items - cabinets, bathrooms, counters, lights, and -- here's the kicker - FLOORING. Specifically, hardwood floors. It SOUNDS innocent enough. Doesn't everyone want the nicest interior?

If you live below people with hardwood floors, you will NEVER EVER have peace. Even just walking to the kitchen sounds like a herd of elephants below. And if you live underneath someone that wears high heels, the click clack will drive you nuts, especially if they're early risers or late-nighters.

So if you must go the condo route, only consider top floor units for purchase. You'll pay more, but your Quality of Life will be worth every extra penny.

I own a three story condo/town home. I don't mind yard work but there are things I would rather do than mow the grass. I can still have flower beds and grow veggies. The Homeowner's association (HOA) fee is paid monthly - the property had the lowest HOA when I purchased but has increased about 1.5 times in the 26 years I've owned it. (Yes, I purchased it when I was 5 ). I like the town home aspect vs 1 story condo as it felt more like a house and less like an apartment. I would go by the property at various times during the day/week to see what parking is like. If some of the town homes on your street are rentals, there tend to be more vehicles tied to the unit so parking is an issue. Only 2 buildings in our complex have walk out basements - if that is an option, go for it as it has more "liveable" space. I don't feel like I'm spending the evening in the basement/dungeon without natural light -- plus, it is much cooler down there in the hot and humid July/August months in Kansas. Best part - my "rent" was really going into my pocket as I am now the only owner of the house - no more mortgage company. (Yes, I still do the happy dance when I think about that as it just happened a few years ago.

Good luck!

eta - I've heard that mortgage companies look at how many units in the complex are rentals and that if it is above a certain percent, it can affect the mortgage process. Your realtor or mortgage broker may know more about that.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Archer mini-marathon on. OPK is big fan, Mrs. OPK has never seen it.

Not sure how this is going.

I have become an Arkansas baseball fan because I know a young man that plays on the team. Haven't been able to see this weekend's games but sure wish they had saved some of their 18 runs on Friday night for yesterday's game. Today they play for a trip to Omaha. I think I'm supposed to say SOOOEEY or something! Hoping they have a great game today.

Go Dores!

Today's Dilbert. Not that anyone here would ever be like this:

http://assets.amuniversal.com/e1996e...4a005056a9545d

Today's Shoe:

http://www.shoecomics.com/archives/s...aily060715.jpg

Warning: bad punnery