Page 808 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 30870875879880680780880981081885890813081808 ... LastLast
Results 16,141 to 16,160 of 67662
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    On a (cat) related note, are you aware that some cats have this thing (not sure what to call it) where their system attacks their teeth as if they were foreign bodies and the teeth mostly get absorbed back into their jaws, or they just end up falling out? Well, that's the other fun we're dealing with right now. Vets have no idea why this happens, but apparently it's fairly common. Anyone want to open a kitty denture business?
    I've had that experience with one of my cats. Both of her top fangs fell out (I found them on the floor) and she's lost a few number of other teeth. Sometimes when she's not paying attention, she looks like a dweeb because her bottom fangs hit her upper lip and she looks like a dunce. And then of course, she forgets her tongue is sticking out, which makes her look even more intelligent.

Our vet said it wasn't too big of a deal. She still eats dry food fine, and as long as all of the teeth don't fall out/get absorbed, it shouldn't be a problem. If all her teeth fell out, I guess I'd have to switch to wet food.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    I've had that experience with one of my cats. Both of her top fangs fell out (I found them on the floor) and she's lost a few number of other teeth. Sometimes when she's not paying attention, she looks like a dweeb because her bottom fangs hit her upper lip and she looks like a dunce. And then of course, she forgets her tongue is sticking out, which makes her look even more intelligent.

Our vet said it wasn't too big of a deal. She still eats dry food fine, and as long as all of the teeth don't fall out/get absorbed, it shouldn't be a problem. If all her teeth fell out, I guess I'd have to switch to wet food.
    My vet also said it's not a big deal. She still eats her food (dry) but sometimes I wonder if she's in any pain because she will ignore the dry food and beg for tuna or chicken (people food). But then again maybe she's just a beggar.

She doesn't eat wet cat food (snob), so my fear is that it ever comes to that. She doesn't get enough of a "well-balanced" diet on just tuna/chicken/turkey and drops weight pretty quickly when she eats only that (I know from a month-long stint she did when she was sick about 8 months ago).

Fun!!! Cat stories!! We have a rescue half-Siamese who is kind of mean to our little 2.5 yr old neighbor when the toddler comes to visit. I get fairly nervous since the cat just luuuuuvs to get near the baby and then start hissing. Yes, yes, I try to lessen the contact but you know how that sometimes goes. Anyway, I gave the baby a nice loud whistle and told her to blow blow blow when she sees the cat. It's all very exciting for the baby/toddler and the cat bolts like a whistled-at-cat.
    Yep! I'll be deaf as a plank soon and I won't be able hear the cat hissing anymore! Win-win.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Fun!!! Cat stories!! We have a rescue half-Siamese who is kind of mean to our little 2.5 yr old neighbor when the toddler comes to visit. I get fairly nervous since the cat just luuuuuvs to get near the baby and then start hissing. Yes, yes, I try to lessen the contact but you know how that sometimes goes. Anyway, I gave the baby a nice loud whistle and told her to blow blow blow when she sees the cat. It's all very exciting for the baby/toddler and the cat bolts like a whistled-at-cat.
    Yep! I'll be deaf as a plank soon and I won't be able hear the cat hissing anymore! Win-win.
    Sounds like you are describing Sydney the Psycho cat who lives next door to me. When I watch the two cats they crack me up. Harry is all friendly and wants you to pet him. Sydney acts like she wants to be petted but if you respond to her overtures, she hisses. She will also hide so I have to hunt for her to be sure she is still inside/breathing. Always entertaining!

I've got 5, but only one hisser. She is blind(since birth) and will occasionally hiss at things that aren't there.

Chloe hisses. And growls. I swear she thinks she's a dog.

Last night turned tragic at a dirt track in upstate New York as a driver was killed in an on track confrontation.

After getting tangled up with NASCAR driver Tony Stewart and subsequently crashing, Tony Ward Jr. hopped out of his vehicle to confront Mr. Stewart. Details are still sketchy, but as he was driving by a part of Mr. Stewart's vehicle struck Mr. Ward who was thrown some distance. Mr. Ward was pronounced dead after the incident.

First day of the final year of law school was yesterday.

First day of the final year of law school was yesterday.
    Gosh Sue! Seems like we were just cheering you through the LSATs!

WOW! Look at OUR GIRL!!! Ain't we proud?!!!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Gosh Sue! Seems like we were just cheering you through the LSATs!

WOW! Look at OUR GIRL!!! Ain't we proud?!!!
    Thanks, Weezie! Time flies when... well, time flies, anyway.

I'm about to face losing the huge, giant red oak tree right next to the house. Besides the pain of paying the thousands that this is likely going to cost us, the old gal (not me you wiseguys) has probably been here more than 100 years and it's a bummer to see her go.

Tree guy saying that there's a general decline affecting red and golden oaks in the DCMDVA area due to the gypsy moth and seasonal drought of the past ten years or so.

Please plant a new one! It is an investment in future generations. I live in a new subdivision on the edge of the Texas Hill Country portion of San Antonio. As they were getting another section of the neighborhood ready for more homes, I bore witness to the slaughter of dozens of live oaks. They did manage to spare a few of them, but it was heartbreaking how many 40 and 50+ year old trees were cut down. They did save a 100+ year old tree in the lot next to mine, it is massive. I have planted 5 trees in my yard: 3 live oaks, a Texas red oak, and a Monterrey oak. Long after I am gone, they will be providing shade from the South Texas sunshine. I'm hoping to add 1 or 2 smaller trees to the yard this winter.

Typing in support of our environment either borders on PP territory or is too boring. Either way, it appears to be a thread killer(and not to be confused with slump busting).

I'm about to face losing the huge, giant red oak tree right next to the house. Besides the pain of paying the thousands that this is likely going to cost us, the old gal (not me you wiseguys) has probably been here more than 100 years and it's a bummer to see her go.

Tree guy saying that there's a general decline affecting red and golden oaks in the DCMDVA area due to the gypsy moth and seasonal drought of the past ten years or so.

It is so sad to see a beautiful tree have to come down.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Please plant a new one! It is an investment in future generations. I live in a new subdivision on the edge of the Texas Hill Country portion of San Antonio. As they were getting another section of the neighborhood ready for more homes, I bore witness to the slaughter of dozens of live oaks. They did manage to spare a few of them, but it was heartbreaking how many 40 and 50+ year old trees were cut down. They did save a 100+ year old tree in the lot next to mine, it is massive. I have planted 5 trees in my yard: 3 live oaks, a Texas red oak, and a Monterrey oak. Long after I am gone, they will be providing shade from the South Texas sunshine. I'm hoping to add 1 or 2 smaller trees to the yard this winter.
    I hate it when all the trees are bulldozed for a new development and then new trees planted once the houses are built.
    Good for you for planting new trees.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I hate it when all the trees are bulldozed for a new development and then new trees planted once the houses are built.
    Yes, it is expensive to knock them down and it is expensive to plant new ones. But more important is the time lost, especially on a mature tree. I can google my first house and see the two trees I planted there, which are now 20 years old. I only wish I had planted more.

Moving sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yes, it is expensive to knock them down and it is expensive to plant new ones. But more important is the time lost, especially on a mature tree. I can google my first house and see the two trees I planted there, which are now 20 years old. I only wish I had planted more.
    I have had some exposure to planning and development in Montgomery County, Maryland. When the planning department approves a plan, it includes the preservation of existing trees (although, to be sure, some will be toppled). Each tree in the approved plan is given a price tag. If it is cut down "by accident" or dies for any reason, the developer pays the county, which then takes charge of replacing the tree.

Of course, the evil Dan Snyder, well before he bought the Washington football team, bought a house in Potomac that was high above the river and the C&O Canal. I went by there on a Christmas Bird Count one December and had a clear view of his big white house, a jarring experience to say the least and the only such blot on a four-mile walk along the Canal. Mr. Snyder had cut all the trees on the bluff to get a view of the River. Uhhh, Dan, Dan? Those trees were in the C&O National Park. He was pursued relentlessly, and I believe was fined and the trees were replanted -- but much smaller -- so for some amount of cash and notoriety he got his Potomac view, for at least a few years.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Moving sucks.
    It does...I moved earlier this month. Never fun. Good luck on the move, though!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    It does...I moved earlier this month. Never fun. Good luck on the move, though!
    Thanks! I think I'm going to have a nonstop headache today and tomorrow.