Page 806 of 2761 FirstFirst ... 30670675679680480580680780881685690613061806 ... LastLast
Results 16,101 to 16,120 of 55217
  1. #16101
    It is windy here right now.

  2. #16102
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Pines, NC
    In lieu of starting a new thread I'll just mention a couple of things here.

    One would be the media and gas prices. Down here in Southern Pines the price for a gallon of gas has been $3.579 for several months. The media had been shouting out about the ongoing rise in prices as if we could expect five bucks a gallon by the end of the month. Just the other day the price here went down a penny and the media then reported that the price is going to drop dramatically. Makes no sense to me. Any comments?

    Another is about something I read in a Consumer Reports news letter I get periodically. Let me just quote it here:

    Think you're eating super-healthy cereal? Yes, Kashi Lean Crunch has lots of good-for-you fiber and tastes very good. But, Post Grape-Nuts Original has less bad-for-you sugars per serving. and Grape Nuts was Rated among the best tasting high-fiber cereals.
    For decades I have been a daily consumer of Grape Nuts for breakfast with fruit and, lately, Silk Almond Milk (w/ a hint of vanilla). It really tastes great, and I have found it to be excellent as a crisper for salads. Mrs Jarhead also uses it instead of corn flakes in Texas Potatoes. My consumption of Grape Nuts may be on its way out, because stores have been cutting back on shelf space for Grape Nuts for some time, now, and I am really pi..., angry about that. The the one row of space allocated is usually mostly empty, at that, and always on the top shelf. If not empty, I take what's left on the shelf. It keeps for years.

    I asked for an explanation at the store the other day, and was told that they only sell a dozen or so boxes a week, so they don't order more than that. When I asked how much was ordered weekly for another cereal on lower shelves (three shelves, three rows wide), the answer was, "Oh, we don't have to order it weekly. Twice a month is plenty." I wonder how these stores are able to stay in business.

  3. #16103
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Back in Vegas... again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

    For decades I have been a daily consumer of Grape Nuts for breakfast with fruit and, lately, Silk Almond Milk (w/ a hint of vanilla). It really tastes great, and I have found it to be excellent as a crisper for salads. Mrs Jarhead also uses it instead of corn flakes in Texas Potatoes.
    What are these Texas Potatoes of which you speak? Please describe &/or post the recipe.

  4. #16104
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Pines, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    What are these Texas Potatoes of which you speak? Please describe &/or post the recipe.
    It's a casserole for shredded hash brown potatoes with cheese and lots of other stuff, and ordinarily well sprinkled with crumbled up corn flakes. Great for tailgating and family gatherings. Here's a recipe that's close to Mrs Jarhead's from memory recipe. When I asked for her copy, she said I should google it, and here it is. I forgot to say delicious, you should try it.

  5. #16105
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    It's a casserole for shredded hash brown potatoes with cheese and lots of other stuff, and ordinarily well sprinkled with crumbled up corn flakes. Great for tailgating and family gatherings. Here's a recipe that's close to Mrs Jarhead's from memory recipe. When I asked for her copy, she said I should google it, and here it is. I forgot to say delicious, you should try it.

    Hmmm, I know these by another name that escapes me right now. My mother would make them foe large family gatherings.

  6. #16106
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmmm, I know these by another name that escapes me right now. My mother would make them foe large family gatherings.
    The recipe we have calls them Gourmet Potatoes.

  7. #16107
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    It's a casserole for shredded hash brown potatoes with cheese and lots of other stuff, and ordinarily well sprinkled with crumbled up corn flakes. Great for tailgating and family gatherings. Here's a recipe that's close to Mrs Jarhead's from memory recipe. When I asked for her copy, she said I should google it, and here it is. I forgot to say delicious, you should try it.
    I think my wife has made a version of this and called it Hash Brown Casserole. Very tasty, I agree.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  8. #16108
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    No matter how hard I try, all of my potatoes end up mashed.

    It's an anger-issue thing.

  9. #16109
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No matter how hard I try, all of my potatoes end up mashed.

    It's an anger-issue thing.
    Maybe we need to get together so I can soothe your anger with gravy.

  10. #16110
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Maybe we need to get together so I can soothe your anger with gravy.
    Bacon, cheedar (or parmesan) and a dollop of sour cream might help, too, if gravy was not available.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  11. #16111
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No matter how hard I try, all of my potatoes end up mashed.

    It's an anger-issue thing.
    I've learned the secret to "crisp" when deep frying is to double fry. Fry at low temp like 250 for like 20 minutes remove from oil and allow to cool at least to room temp then refry at high temp like 400 for a few minutes until crisp. Yeah its almost twice the work but, if you manage the temp well (easier said than done with my propane deep fryer) it works great.

  12. #16112
    I'm going to interrupt the potato talk for a moment: I was informed today by a friend that there is a Victorian British martial art. I looked it up, and not only is it real, it is everything I dreamed a "Victorian British martial art" would be. Now I have the overwhelming need to share this wonder with someone. Behold:



    200px-Copy_of_Montage.jpg




    PS: I like to put some ground beef in my Tater-tot casserole; makes it a complete meal rather than a side.

  13. #16113
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    I'm going to interrupt the potato talk for a moment: I was informed today by a friend that there is a Victorian British martial art. I looked it up, and not only is it real, it is everything I dreamed a "Victorian British martial art" would be. Now I have the overwhelming need to share this wonder with someone. Behold:



    200px-Copy_of_Montage.jpg




    PS: I like to put some ground beef in my Tater-tot casserole; makes it a complete meal rather than a side.
    I think you should recreate the poster with pictures of yourself and then post it.

  14. #16114
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I think you should recreate the poster with pictures of yourself and then post it.
    image.jpg

    LEGO martial arts.

    And a gin n' tonic.

  15. #16115
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    image.jpg

    Expanded LEGO martial arts.

    And a refreshed gin n' tonic.

  16. #16116
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    image.jpg

    LEGO Ninja cage match.

    And a 1991 Duke National Championship commemorative Coca-Cola (unopened).

  17. #16117
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    image.jpg

    Ummmm . . . Gin n' tonic, no drama.

  18. #16118
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    image.jpg

    The horrible ravages of war.

    And Deep Woods OFF.

  19. #16119
    What happened to the potato talk? Just when I thought we had finally found direction.

  20. #16120
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    What happened to the potato talk? Just when I thought we had finally found direction.
    Ninjas happened.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •