Page 74 of 2707 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576841241745741074 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 54132
  1. #1461
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Duke Blue Devils Duke Blue Devils Duke Blue Devils Duke Blue Devils

    I'm tired of the current non-Duke related Google ads on this page. At least, on my view of this page. Nothin' but C&B (trying to not make it appear by power of suggestion).

    Time for good karma on my behalf. I have a job interview at Wash U next week. My current situation is bad enough to actually make me consider moving away from here, and that's pretty bad. My options could be: stay in current job doing technician level work (I have a Ph.D. and am supervised by a B.S. level chemist on a power trip) or work at a cutting-edge research facility that would pay me about $20K more than I'm making right now. Hopefully the interview will go well enough that I have these options!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Thanks! My inside sources tell me that I'm by far the top candidate for the job, so I just have to make sure I go in well-prepared and do my best.

    Sending good vibes for your interview.

    I used to be a recruiter and now do a lot of work with faculty appointments. If you'd like some help/advice, I'm here for ya.

  2. #1462
    Good luck on the interview, AD. Sending good vibes your way. Keep us all posted.

    (and for good measure, GTH, C, GTH!)

  3. #1463
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO

    I ain't sayin' I'm a thread-killer...

    Thanks for the karma! Looks like my upcoming job interview is threatening to kill the thread. So, time to liven things up a bit.

    Okay, now for something else to generate some discussion: what is your favorite all-time South Park episode? My favorite is probably "Timmy 2000," but I have lots of others depending upon my mood. Others?

  4. #1464
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Cool The interview karma of the DBR!

    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Duke Blue Devils Duke Blue Devils Duke Blue Devils Duke Blue Devils

    I'm tired of the current non-Duke related Google ads on this page. At least, on my view of this page. Nothin' but C&B (trying to not make it appear by power of suggestion).

    Time for good karma on my behalf. I have a job interview at Wash U next week. My current situation is bad enough to actually make me consider moving away from here, and that's pretty bad. My options could be: stay in current job doing technician level work (I have a Ph.D. and am supervised by a B.S. level chemist on a power trip) or work at a cutting-edge research facility that would pay me about $20K more than I'm making right now. Hopefully the interview will go well enough that I have these options!
    Plenty of WashU brain waves and thoughts go your way. And hey, you'd be close to throaty too.

    I myself received the good karma of the DBR last week, and it worked in my favor. Keep the streak alive!

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  5. #1465
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    wine

    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Actually, I'm not much of a beer drinker. Never tasted one I liked (dodging bolt of lightning). I will admit, though, that the wine thread inspired me to get a bottle of Pinot Noir - I'm trying to develop a taste for red wine. I haven't opened it yet, though; I'm afraid it will take too long to finish off. How long is a bottle of wine good after it's been opened?
    use the same cork as was in the bottle if you don't damage it or purchase a re-usable wine cork from your local wine merchant and it should be good for several days-light and air will be your wine's worst enemies.

  6. #1466
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    longest

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    and I think it belongs here. Do I become something new?

    Yes! I'm a starter!
    Congratulations-most excellent work!

  7. #1467
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, lots of excellent karma on the board lately. Me = new job. Earljam = new job. Lavabe = reports of good job karma. ArkieDukie, I think you're involved in the right thread, here. Best wishes to you too.

    I'm a big fan of WashU, if only because there's a building there with my maiden name on it. No one in my family knows the donor (darn!), but the name was so unusual that if you google'd on the name to find me, you'd end up with pages of hits of people who worked in the building first.

    And BostonDevil, iirc, this is a big week for you and your little one -- I hope all went/is going well there! And how're your knees holding up?

  8. #1468
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Chemo is done! We have to go back next week for a blood count but that's nothing really. My knees are doing quite well as long as I run with braces on them. I've got a big run this weekend, 15 miles, we'll see how that goes. Thanks!

  9. #1469
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Chemo is done! We have to go back next week for a blood count but that's nothing really. My knees are doing quite well as long as I run with braces on them. I've got a big run this weekend, 15 miles, we'll see how that goes. Thanks!
    Congrats on the end of chemo. How is the little guy feeling?

    Glad, too, to read about your run. When I was training for a 10 mile race and was having a rough moment I started in with Jimmy V's mantra, "don't give up, don't ever give up." Not only did it help me mentally, but I got a pretty good cadence going too.

  10. #1470
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Wow, lots of excellent karma on the board lately. Me = new job. Earljam = new job. Lavabe = reports of good job karma. ArkieDukie, I think you're involved in the right thread, here. Best wishes to you too.
    If you post in this thread, you'll get a job?!?! I need a job!

    PS. Somehow this post seems wrong considering what my name now is for my number of posts.

  11. #1471
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Chemo is done! We have to go back next week for a blood count but that's nothing really. My knees are doing quite well as long as I run with braces on them. I've got a big run this weekend, 15 miles, we'll see how that goes. Thanks!
    Congrats on the end of chemo, and best of luck with the big run!

  12. #1472
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO

    Interesting turn of events

    So, I'm scheduled to fly to St. Louis early Saturday morning. What's the weather forecast here? If you guessed snow/sleet, you'd be correct! As in, 5-8 inches of snow, starting tonight and ending tomorrow afternoon. That's a big deal around here. The road to the airport is basically a long bridge over a swamp, which means it will be an icy mess Saturday morning. Depending on how bad it is tomorrow, I may actually venture out to a hotel near the airport.

  13. #1473
    I've spent a few nights in the airport...cheaper that way.

  14. #1474
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I've spent a few nights in the airport...cheaper that way.
    Ugh. Never. But I'm a huge prima donna.

  15. #1475
    I've spent too many nights in Palmetto bug filled hotels(in Brazil) to care much any more. As long as there isn't anyone trying to break in I'm good.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 03-06-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: P.S. 2nd team is so far away...

  16. #1476
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I've spent too many nights in Palmetto bug filled hotels(in Brazil) to care much any more. As long as there isn't anyone trying to break in I'm good.
    Ok, so Brazil's off the travel list.

  17. #1477
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO

    Fortunately no palmetto bugs!

    At least, not that I've seen. Yes, we got hit by snow today, so I'm at a hotel near the airport. Roads slushy but will be a mess tomorrow. Hopefully we won't have issues with delays in the morning.

  18. #1478
    Well, by this time you should be in St. Louis, AD. Hope the interviewing is going well, but the question we all really have for you is...how are you going to watch the game tonight?

  19. #1479
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Talking Let's go Arkie, clap, clap, clap-clap-clap

    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Well, by this time you should be in St. Louis, AD. Hope the interviewing is going well, but the question we all really have for you is...how are you going to watch the game tonight?
    Sorry for the delay in response. Comcast took two days to repair our line.

    ESPN w/Dickie V... If you're near a MetroLink station, I strongly suggest a visit to the Schlafly Brewery Tap Room. Ah shoot ... just get some from a Schnuck's, and settle into whatever room you're at. Normally I'd suggest MetroLinking to the UCity Loop, and trying to get a spot at Blueberry Hill, but it's a Saturday Night.

    Brain Waves are a flowing! Just make sure that the phrase "I'd like a Miller" doesn't come out.

    Oh yeah, and to clarify, the DBR job karma stuff is working. EJam and I have met great success. Time to make it three in a row on the job front!

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  20. #1480
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO

    All is well!

    Made it to St. Louis with no problems. Spent yesterday with friends who live across the river near Belleville. Watched the game in my hotel room (the Parkway, just around the corner from where I'll be interviewing). I thought we were going to pull it out. What a game!

    The fun and games start today: I have a brunch this morning in the home of the person who would be my boss if I come here. I have a big seminar tomorrow and meetings all day - one of which is with the editor of the big journal in my field.

    Thanks for the good thoughts; keep them coming!

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •